Jump to topic:

Anybody have a debating speciality?

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 7:53:56 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I've noticed that many debates are very difficult to follow, have a lot of information that both demonstrate information that most people do not know about and often difficult to follow. Do any of you have debating specialties?
For example, many debates involve those with a good background in religion, economics, political science, morality/philosophy, current events, anime, sports, etc. Do you have a debating speciality, just good at researching topics you know little bout, or have a good background in most of the debates at debate.org?

How did one get into the speciality Was it through college, high school or other education or just look at the information for enjoyment, etc
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 8:46:42 AM
I don't know if I can say I have any specialties in a particular subject but I do feel I have a specialty with a particular style.

You see quite often I find I am easily defeated if my opponent gives arguments based on 'facts'
I am not as strong in arguing those for I do not take the time to look up better counter facts.
Instead I find I am in the 'zone' when arguing based on a alternative 'perspective' of my opponents facts.
This only tends to be useful when your con though without burden of proof
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
BellumQuodPacis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 8:51:08 AM
Im particularly good at Debates pertaining to the environment or something about the military/science of war. Im pretty good at historical debates and those fun little debates, as well. I am just horrible at economics, philosophy and politics. Im a very very very good writer of stories and short stories.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 9:31:57 AM
I'm best at debates involving politics or political philosophy. I can put together a pretty strong case for atheism, certain scientific topics, and a few philosophical issues, but I definitely have a lot to learn still.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 10:23:53 AM
I tend to "specialize" in philosophical topics (especially religion) because that is what most interests me.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 11:28:00 AM
At 9/17/2010 11:26:51 AM, Koopin wrote:
I like debating on how to spell specialty.

You also like debating semantics. ;) Your debates are filled with that.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:50:21 PM
At 9/17/2010 7:53:56 AM, darkkermit wrote:
I've noticed that many debates are very difficult to follow, have a lot of information that both demonstrate information that most people do not know about and often difficult to follow. Do any of you have debating specialties?
For example, many debates involve those with a good background in religion, economics, political science, morality/philosophy, current events, anime, sports, etc. Do you have a debating speciality, just good at researching topics you know little bout, or have a good background in most of the debates at debate.org?

How did one get into the speciality Was it through college, high school or other education or just look at the information for enjoyment, etc

I like to argue about things that I think people would find interesting.

I think I have made some modest contributions to issues regarding (1) the existence of God, (2) abortion, (3) infanticide, (4) gay marriage, (5) the culpability of the Pope, (6) the competence of Sarah Palin (7) the morality of believing things on faith, (8) prostitution, (9) the morality of judicious torture.

Most of my arguments are still underdeveloped, but I am very satisfied with the case I have set out for abortion. I am honestly unsure how it could be improved (apart from me becoming a more skilled writer).

My next new debate is going to be about the ethics of non zero sum beneficial interactions between disparate groups of people.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:53:36 PM
At 9/17/2010 11:30:05 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/17/2010 11:29:41 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Ethics.

Also, I'm a good writer.

I'm alright at writing fiction. Anything else, no.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:56:31 PM
I'm most comfortable debating topics that relate to legal gray-areas.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown