Balance and Perspective in Life

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 2:56:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is a very stressful time of year.

In the past I have written threads and PM's to many of you about advice as incoming freshmen, as college students, and the like. In the same spirit of those, I'm willing to offer this as well:

Fall is one of the times of year where relationships can take their hardest blows; be they friendships, romantic pursuits, etc. It usually peaks around the time right before thanksgiving, especially for high school and college students.

I don't claim to be a zen master or anything like that, but I have learned a few things over the years to keep things in check. The last three weeks before the previous week were some of the hardest in my life for personal, professional, and academic reasons. But, since then, it's gotten easier. But on balance, I keep my life in balance pretty well... but it is not easy. It's a learned behavior; not something that is natural for anyone.

If you guys are interested (I say this mostly for the college students and high school students here), I'd be happy to talk about that this Saturday night.

Everything you guys have been through, I've probably been there too. Whether it's family stuff, boyfriend/girlfriend stuff, etc. Even if I haven't been there, I might be able to help you put it all in perspective.

Time: Saturday Night; apx. 10:00 PM central time
Place: DDO Hangout (or a private hangout of interested members, depending on what you guys think will work better)
Subject: Getting from getting through life, to making it better

You are invited.

I've done this in a collegiate setting before, among students I taught. I'll do it now for you all, because I know that many of you are having a hard time right now.

Ask me whatever you want, too. The goal is for me to help you get to a place where you can make things better for yourself.

Hopefully, you will all be able to share your experiences with others, and know that there are other people who are going through the same stuff you are.

The only ground rules for this are: by entering the hangout (1) you accept that whatever is said in the hangout remains in the hangout, such that you respect other people's privacy and confidence; and (2) you agree to be respectful of others.
Tsar of DDO
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 3:36:18 AM
At 10/8/2015 2:56:39 AM, YYW wrote:
This is great, it really shows who you are when it comes to helping other people. I plan to make it there on Saturday
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 3:43:08 AM
At 10/8/2015 3:36:18 AM, Hayd wrote:
This is great, it really shows who you are when it comes to helping other people. I plan to make it there on Saturday

Right on
Tsar of DDO
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 3:47:08 AM
Will this education on balance help me become a better Jenga player?
In seriousness, I'll be there <3
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 3:51:07 AM
At 10/8/2015 3:47:08 AM, SolonKR wrote:

Cheers
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 4:17:43 AM
At 10/8/2015 3:47:08 AM, SolonKR wrote:

I would beat you at Jenga.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 4:29:12 AM
At 10/8/2015 4:21:46 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
I'd like to be there. But I can't make it. You should record this so I can see what you say later.

Idk that I'll record it... but we could do this again. I mean, I think that having a sort of support network is beneficial for people.

It's really easy for people to feel alone. But we all have lives outside this site, and a lot of times those lives are a lot harder than what we do here.

Sharing those experiences, talking about them, and knowing that there are others who are going through the same things is beneficial.

That's really what I'd like to facilitate here.

I've known of college students (and high school students too) go through really hard times, and suffer in silence... and I have it on good faith that that's happening among several members now.

So, I say all of that to say this:

There is no reason for this only to be a one time thing. We can do it again. I won't record it though, because I'd like for people to share... and I'm going to share some stuff about my own life... stuff that I don't want a recordation of floating around out there.
Tsar of DDO
Yonko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 4:31:51 AM
At 10/8/2015 4:21:46 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
I'd like to be there. But I can't make it. You should record this so I can see what you say later.

I'm in the same boat as you, but...

whatever is said in the hangout remains in the hangout, such that you respect other people's privacy and confidence
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 4:51:37 AM
I may be there.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 4:55:20 AM
This seems like a good idea. Props to you setting this kind of thing up.

I won't be attending, but I would encourage people who are interested in doing so to be there.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:42:04 PM
At 10/8/2015 4:55:20 AM, Zaradi wrote:

I won't be attending, but I would encourage people who are interested in doing so to be there.

You should come.
Tsar of DDO
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 12:58:50 PM

In the past I have written threads and PM's to many of you about advice as incoming freshmen, as college students, and the like. In the same spirit of those, I'm willing to offer this as well:

Fall is one of the times of year where relationships can take their hardest blows; be they friendships, romantic pursuits, etc. It usually peaks around the time right before thanksgiving, especially for high school and college students.

I don't claim to be a zen master or anything like that, but I have learned a few things over the years to keep things in check. The last three weeks before the previous week were some of the hardest in my life for personal, professional, and academic reasons. But, since then, it's gotten easier. But on balance, I keep my life in balance pretty well... but it is not easy. It's a learned behavior; not something that is natural for anyone.

If you guys are interested (I say this mostly for the college students and high school students here), I'd be happy to talk about that this Saturday night.

Everything you guys have been through, I've probably been there too. Whether it's family stuff, boyfriend/girlfriend stuff, etc. Even if I haven't been there, I might be able to help you put it all in perspective.

Place: DDO Hangout (or a private hangout of interested members, depending on what you guys think will work better)

You are invited.

I've done this in a collegiate setting before, among students I taught. I'll do it now for you all, because I know that many of you are having a hard time right now.

Ask me whatever you want, too. The goal is for me to help you get to a place where you can make things better for yourself.

Hopefully, you will all be able to share your experiences with others, and know that there are other people who are going through the same stuff you are.

The only ground rules for this are: by entering the hangout (1) you accept that whatever is said in the hangout remains in the hangout, such that you respect other people's privacy and confidence; and (2) you agree to be respectful of others.

Great idea! I'm happy for you that you are so willing to help others through tough times.
Nolite Timere
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2015 3:53:44 PM
At 10/8/2015 12:42:04 PM, YYW wrote:

You should come.

Not my cup of tea.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2015 12:04:00 AM
At 10/8/2015 3:53:44 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 10/8/2015 12:42:04 PM, YYW wrote:

You should come.

Not my cup of tea.

No worries. Should you change your mind, you are certainly welcome :)
Tsar of DDO
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 1:01:16 AM
At 10/10/2015 6:00:17 PM, YYW wrote:
This post will serve as a reminder.

I'll be a bit late... or a lot. My schedule is wonky out here
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 3:32:35 AM

Where are you?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 3:10:46 PM
At 10/11/2015 3:32:35 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Where are you?

Darn it, I forgot and fell asleep.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2015 6:26:58 PM
At 10/11/2015 3:10:46 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 10/11/2015 3:32:35 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Where are you?

Darn it, I forgot and fell asleep.

It's cool. We'll probably do it again.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 11:56:22 AM
At 10/12/2015 1:03:33 AM, YYW wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

We can do this again this Saturday if you guys want. A few people have sent me PM's about it. Talking about what's going on can be good and beneficial.
Tsar of DDO
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 4:47:40 PM
At 10/15/2015 11:56:22 AM, YYW wrote:

We can do this again this Saturday if you guys want. A few people have sent me PM's about it. Talking about what's going on can be good and beneficial.

I want to do this but Saturday is always the worst day for me. I'm almost always at a show or concert... Friday/Sunday would be better for me if that works for you.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 7:57:59 PM
At 10/15/2015 4:47:40 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 10/15/2015 11:56:22 AM, YYW wrote:

I want to do this but Saturday is always the worst day for me. I'm almost always at a show or concert... Friday/Sunday would be better for me if that works for you.

Perhaps Friday then. It's not important to me one way or another.
Tsar of DDO
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 8:23:59 PM

You are invited.

False. Most people breakup during the Summer months. This is a fact. The Fall is actually the best time for relationships as this represents the winding down of nature and into the cold. This means more babies are created during the Winter more than any other season, which is also true. And the Holidays bring people closer together. Comments on this please.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 8:35:11 PM
At 10/15/2015 8:23:59 PM, inferno wrote:
False. Most people breakup during the Summer months.

That may be true of the general population, but not of the DDO population (which is primarily comprised of students in school, not working people). So, you're mistaken.
Tsar of DDO
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 8:38:35 PM
At 10/15/2015 8:35:11 PM, YYW wrote:

That may be true of the general population, but not of the DDO population (which is primarily comprised of students in school, not working people). So, you're mistaken.

You speak about DDO as if they are not ordinary people. I think you spend too much time on this site my friend. Let us not be narrow in mind here.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 9:22:41 PM
At 10/15/2015 8:38:35 PM, inferno wrote:
At 10/15/2015 8:35:11 PM, YYW wrote:

You speak about DDO as if they are not ordinary people. I think you spend too much time on this site my friend. Let us not be narrow in mind here.

DDO is mainly comprised of students, not working people. This is a fact.
Tsar of DDO