Jump to topic:

Round up of grammar rules

adrianiscorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 5:38:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hey, like I mentioned in another post I am trying to get to grips with grammar (and thought using this site would give me a chance to practice my new English language skillz...obviously I still need to do a lot of work) and found this site that is really helping me get to grips with it all. I know for a fact a lot of you don't need this but to some I am sure this will be really helpful.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com...

Cheers!
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 6:39:35 AM
My friends and I have an eternal argument over whether it is grammatically correct to say "I speak good English". (I understand the proper way to say this is "I speak English well".) Anyone know the answer to this?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:02:55 PM
At 9/18/2010 6:39:35 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
My friends and I have an eternal argument over whether it is grammatically correct to say "I speak good English". (I understand the proper way to say this is "I speak English well".) Anyone know the answer to this?

I wasn't sure about this either, so I did some research. Please correct me if i'm wrong on this...
You can't use a adjective (good, bad, ugly) in that context. You have to use an adverb (well, quickly). So you could say "I can speak English very quickly" but not "I speak English ugly".
It's all very confusing though.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:17:20 PM
At 9/18/2010 6:39:35 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:

Your friends probably think "I speak good English" is correct since they are using the attribute "good" to describe their English. Sadly, they are mistaken like tvellalott said.

It's like saying, "I run good." You could say, "I'm good at running." Just like you could say "I'm good at speaking English."

However, "I run good" would never be correct... ("My English is good." would work as well, it's just not very "sophisticated".) You are right! :D
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:23:06 PM
At 9/19/2010 5:17:20 PM, annhasle wrote:
However, "I run good" would never be correct... ("My English is good." would work as well, it's just not very "sophisticated".) You are right! :D

I don't know if even "My English is good" is correct. It doesn't sound right. 'English' isn't an object, so it can't be described as good.. You could say "My cat is good" or "My sandwich is good", but "My english is good". I don't think so. :/

Muh threads
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:24:30 PM
At 9/19/2010 5:23:06 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I don't know if even "My English is good" is correct. It doesn't sound right. 'English' isn't an object, so it can't be described as good.. You could say "My cat is good" or "My sandwich is good", but "My english is good". I don't think so. :/

You can... It's just not recommended. It's primary school level English. Sadly, many people (in the US) don't move past this level. -__-
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:29:27 PM
At 9/19/2010 5:24:30 PM, annhasle wrote:

You can... It's just not recommended. It's primary school level English. Sadly, many people (in the US) don't move past this level. -__-

It sounds like caveman talk.

Muh threads
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:31:05 PM
At 9/19/2010 5:29:27 PM, tvellalott wrote:

It sounds like caveman talk.

That's why I said it wasn't sophisticated.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:36:34 PM

At least it's not double negatives. That drives me crazy and my dad does it constantly, argh!
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:42:17 PM
At 9/19/2010 5:36:34 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

At least it's not double negatives. That drives me crazy and my dad does it constantly, argh!

I hate that, too!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:44:14 PM
At 9/19/2010 5:42:17 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 9/19/2010 5:36:34 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I hate that, too!

Besides things like the "your", "you're" and "there", "their", "they're" thing it's probably the grammatical fallacy that drives me the most crazy.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2010 8:05:06 PM
At 9/20/2010 8:00:10 PM, tvellalott wrote:
http://www.explosm.net...

I LOVE CYANIDE AND HAPPINESS!!! :D