Jump to topic:

Problems with debate.org

Sunfire315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 4:46:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A problem I have REPEATEDLY ran into on debate.org, is the saving system for your debates. If you partially finish a debate draft and leave, their is no way you can have a certain guarantee that it saved. When I go back to my debate, I all to often find that the case I had been working on yesterday, is completely gone!!! We also need to be able to save our formatting, because that to has a tendency to be wiped out.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 4:51:25 PM
At 10/21/2015 4:46:24 PM, Sunfire315 wrote:
A problem I have REPEATEDLY ran into on debate.org, is the saving system for your debates. If you partially finish a debate draft and leave, their is no way you can have a certain guarantee that it saved. When I go back to my debate, I all to often find that the case I had been working on yesterday, is completely gone!!! We also need to be able to save our formatting, because that to has a tendency to be wiped out.

Yea, don't count on that. Work the debate elsewhere. Google docs etc, then paste when ready.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 5:05:08 PM

If you click 'review' after typing a debate and then don't submit, just go back, your work will save.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Sunfire315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 5:07:46 PM
I have tried the "review debate method". It works sometimes, but it still is prone to reverting to a much earlier version of the draft. As for the google docs method, I guess it works but the saving method would most certainly be an improvement.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 5:10:56 PM
At 10/21/2015 5:07:46 PM, Sunfire315 wrote:
I have tried the "review debate method". It works sometimes, but it still is prone to reverting to a much earlier version of the draft. As for the google docs method, I guess it works but the saving method would most certainly be an improvement.

It works fine for me, anyway, a google document or word document is a good alternative as previously suggested. It isn't that much work copy and pasting it over from the word/google document.
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 5:22:29 PM
At 10/21/2015 5:12:28 PM, Sunfire315 wrote:
Meh. But such an improvement should still be on the list for potential upgrades to debate.org

Possibly. I don't know how significant it would be though.
John Galsworthy
Sunfire315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 5:26:53 PM
I have lost quite a lot of time with the faulty saving system, and so have a couple of my friends. I think it is a pretty major issue.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 5:33:28 PM
At 10/21/2015 5:26:53 PM, Sunfire315 wrote:
I have lost quite a lot of time with the faulty saving system, and so have a couple of my friends. I think it is a pretty major issue.

Not if you just do it on a word/google document. It doesn't take that much time to transfer it over.
John Galsworthy
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 5:53:35 PM

That's one thing Edeb8 got right
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 7:00:16 PM
A problem I have REPEATEDLY ran into on debate.org, is the saving system for your debates. If you partially finish a debate draft and leave, their is no way you can have a certain guarantee that it saved.

Yes there is. Hit "review" and it will automatically save all changes up to that point.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 7:01:15 PM
At 10/21/2015 5:07:46 PM, Sunfire315 wrote:

In this case, I would hit review several times for the latest version. I would also suggest saving a copy on an outside source, like word or google docs.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...