Total Posts:55|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What is the best way to measure debate skill?

KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 2:18:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It clearly cannot be wins, since you could win 300 debates and lose 500. It can't be win/loss ratio since someone who wins one debate can have a 100% win ratio. It can't be percentile because I have seen debaters who aren't that good have high percentiles. It can't be ELO because you can just make a bunch of debates and forums to gain some.

SO WHAT IS IT!?!? *Pulls out hair*

Sorry, got carried away there.
You're sweet. Thank you :) <3 -ESocial

I am sorry Debate.org -KingofEverything

You guys can stop the circlejerk started around the election. It stopped being funny faster than Mirza's anti-American rants. -Jonbonbon

It's like when the kid who makes an ugly sand castle on the beach goes and tries to kick down someone else's sand castle because he couldn't make one as good as that. -YYW
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 3:03:19 PM
At 10/28/2015 2:18:35 PM, KingofEverything wrote:
It clearly cannot be wins, since you could win 300 debates and lose 500. It can't be win/loss ratio since someone who wins one debate can have a 100% win ratio. It can't be percentile because I have seen debaters who aren't that good have high percentiles. It can't be ELO because you can just make a bunch of debates and forums to gain some.

Based on your subjective view on how debater x performs in comparison to debater y.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 3:13:06 PM
The best would be reading the arguments and concluding how good the arguments are. Comparison with other debaters fails. Actually *reading* the quality of arguments and weighing them against the flaws is the best way to measure debate skill.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 3:16:03 PM
At 10/28/2015 3:13:06 PM, tejretics wrote:
The best would be reading the arguments and concluding how good the arguments are. Comparison with other debaters fails. Actually *reading* the quality of arguments and weighing them against the flaws is the best way to measure debate skill.

Alright.

You guys can stop the circlejerk started around the election. It stopped being funny faster than Mirza's anti-American rants. -Jonbonbon

It's like when the kid who makes an ugly sand castle on the beach goes and tries to kick down someone else's sand castle because he couldn't make one as good as that. -YYW
KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 3:17:12 PM

What units should I use?

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 3:24:34 PM
At 10/28/2015 3:17:12 PM, KingofEverything wrote:

What units should I use?

There's no objective unit for measuring skill. Who you rate as "most skillful" debater is *opinion,* not objective fact.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Insignifica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 3:48:50 PM
At 10/28/2015 3:24:34 PM, tejretics wrote:

What units should I use?

There's no objective unit for measuring skill. Who you rate as "most skillful" debater is *opinion,* not objective fact.

Your gratuitous use of asterisks is annoying.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 3:50:58 PM
At 10/28/2015 3:48:50 PM, Insignifica wrote:

What units should I use?

I don't see how it's needless. I had to stress on a word, so I used asterisks. And I have no idea why you bother to critique my formatting. It doesn't matter at all. It's irrelevant to the OP.
Insignifica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 4:29:30 PM
At 10/28/2015 3:50:58 PM, tejretics wrote:

What units should I use?

I don't see how it's needless. I had to stress on a word, so I used asterisks.

The emphasis is present naturally.

And I have no idea why you bother to critique my formatting. It doesn't matter at all. It's irrelevant to the OP.

Just informing you.
KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 5:14:48 PM

What units should I use?

I don't see how it's needless. I had to stress on a word, so I used asterisks. And I have no idea why you bother to critique my formatting. It doesn't matter at all. It's irrelevant to the OP.

I think debating skill is objective. It's a statistical value. You can't really let opinions dictate facts. You couldn't just state that I am a better debater than whiteflame and claim it as a subjective opinion, because that's just plain false.

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 5:45:21 PM
At 10/28/2015 3:03:19 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Based on your subjective view on how debater x performs in comparison to debater y.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Stefanwaal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 6:28:47 PM
At 10/28/2015 5:14:48 PM, KingofEverything wrote:

What units should I use?

I think debating skill is objective. It's a statistical value. You can't really let opinions dictate facts. You couldn't just state that I am a better debater than whiteflame and claim it as a subjective opinion, because that's just plain false.

I seriously doubt it's possible to perfectly measure debating skills. This is especially, because a person might be very good at debating certain topics (for example, political topics) while the same person is bad at debating other topics (for example, philosophical topics). It's certainly possible to try with things like ELO, but it will never be perfect.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 6:39:40 PM
At 10/28/2015 5:14:48 PM, KingofEverything wrote:

Three questions then:

1. Who is objectively the best debater on the site, via "the facts"?
2. What is the statistical difference between the best debater and the second best debater? Approximately how much better is the best debater compared to the third best debater?
3. According to what units of measurement are we statistically measuring out who is "the best debater" objectively?
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 6:50:55 PM

I disagree. Goodness is an inherently subjective standard. Therefore, your argument is just as bad as the ontological argument.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 6:55:53 PM
At 10/28/2015 6:50:55 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

I disagree. Goodness is an inherently subjective standard. Therefore, your argument is just as bad as the ontological argument.

Your argument is weak too. All you do is state that it's subjective, while I provide good examples. To some degree, maybe, but you can't argue or have an opinion that I am better than whiteflame. It is false.

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 6:58:54 PM
At 10/28/2015 6:55:53 PM, KingofEverything wrote:

Your argument is weak too. All you do is state that it's subjective, while I provide good examples. To some degree, maybe, but you can't argue or have an opinion that I am better than whiteflame. It is false.

Your argument is weak too. All you do is state that it's objective, while I provide good examples. To some degree, maybe, but you can't argue or have an opinion that you are better than RebelRebelDixie. It's subjective.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 7:00:33 PM
At 10/28/2015 6:58:54 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Your argument is weak too. All you do is state that it's objective, while I provide good examples. To some degree, maybe, but you can't argue or have an opinion that you are better than RebelRebelDixie. It's subjective.

Not a good idea to copy arguments.

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 7:03:08 PM
At 10/28/2015 7:00:33 PM, KingofEverything wrote:

Not a good idea to commit fallacies

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 7:06:34 PM
At 10/28/2015 7:00:33 PM, KingofEverything wrote:

Lol, you know I'm just trolling you, right?

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 7:11:54 PM

Why don't you notice me :( notice me senpai
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 7:17:18 PM
If you want to know who is a good debater, or not, just ask me. Everything I say and think is right.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 9:05:51 PM
At 10/28/2015 7:17:18 PM, Rosalie wrote:
If you want to know who is a good debater, or not, just ask me. Everything I say and think is right.

Confirmed by the High Prophet of the Great Morgan Freeman.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 9:06:55 PM
At 10/28/2015 9:05:51 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:

Damn right. I am the alpha, the omega, the beginning....and the end. All hail Rosalie.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 9:09:30 PM

You mentioned my name?
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 9:11:14 PM
At 10/28/2015 9:06:55 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Damn right. I am the alpha, the omega, the beginning....and the end. All hail Rosalie.

http://i.imgur.com...
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 9:11:39 PM

You measure in Debewtons. The formula is this:

(16k*Wylted) *(YYW/bsh1 + whiteflame)
---------------------------------------------------------- (Over)
(Assortment of noobs) * (vi_spex)

Epic Quotes:

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 9:16:09 PM
At 10/28/2015 9:09:30 PM, TheProphett wrote:

You mentioned my name?

Not enough t's but nice try.
The Troll Queen.

Fite me m9
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 9:18:42 PM
At 10/28/2015 9:16:09 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:

You mentioned my name?

Is it your job to shoot down the hopes and dreams of youth?

Epic Quotes:

Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 9:23:31 PM
At 10/28/2015 9:18:42 PM, TheProphett wrote:

You mentioned my name?

Sometimes yes.

But if you want hope, I can admit you as a scribe of Morgan Freeman, or as a knight in my Kingdom.
The Troll Queen.

Fite me m9
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2015 9:24:17 PM
At 10/28/2015 9:23:31 PM, Jonbonbon wrote:
At 10/28/2015 9:18:42 PM, TheProphett wrote:

You mentioned my name?

Sometimes yes.

But if you want hope, I can admit you as a scribe of Morgan Freeman, or as a knight in my Kingdom.

The former is what I'm looking for.

Epic Quotes: