Jump to topic:

KingofEverything on the 5 minute Debates

KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 1:40:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Okay, so sometimes I have been wanting to accept a certain debate, and then I find that you are only given five minutes to post an argument, and to be frank, I think it's just a waste of time on the site. It takes away from the high quality debates and actively forces you to weaken and shorten your arguments due to the lack of a proper amount of time.

The fact of the matter is, even the absolute worst debates out there with 5 minutes to post each arguments will cause even great debaters out there to hold back and focus more on rushing their own arguments rather than focusing on debating, which is what this site is for. Also, there's a good chance the one of the opponents, or likely both, will forfeit several rounds. You could barely make a sandwich and the rest of your lunch and that will use up a good amount of time.

Now I get that it's supposed to challenge you, but what does it prepare you for? Unless this site has a speeding debating competition, there is nothing to prepare for on these types of debates and there is nothing very useful about it.

I personally think we should change the standards so that the lowest amount of time to post an argument you can set is an hour. Believe me, for some people, that's challenging enough. I think 5 is just a bad limit and deprives Debate.org from more quality debates.

-KingofEverything
You're sweet. Thank you :) <3 -ESocial

I am sorry Debate.org -KingofEverything

You guys can stop the circlejerk started around the election. It stopped being funny faster than Mirza's anti-American rants. -Jonbonbon

It's like when the kid who makes an ugly sand castle on the beach goes and tries to kick down someone else's sand castle because he couldn't make one as good as that. -YYW
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 1:49:14 PM
It helps with Impromtu.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2015 1:50:55 PM
At 11/3/2015 1:49:14 PM, lannan13 wrote:
It helps with Impromtu.

I feel Impromptu is a bit useless here. I just think that not that many people would be upset if we did so.
You're sweet. Thank you :) <3 -ESocial

I am sorry Debate.org -KingofEverything

You guys can stop the circlejerk started around the election. It stopped being funny faster than Mirza's anti-American rants. -Jonbonbon

It's like when the kid who makes an ugly sand castle on the beach goes and tries to kick down someone else's sand castle because he couldn't make one as good as that. -YYW
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 7:28:47 AM
Obviously any five minute debate is not going to be 'high quality', but do all debates have to comply with that standard anyway?

Besides due to the general lack of arguments proposed by the instigator and often predictable forfeiting, they're an easy win.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 7:52:23 AM
At 11/4/2015 7:28:47 AM, Emilrose wrote:
they're an easy win.

^the sniper mentality. Heheh.
Senpai has noticed you.