Jump to topic:

So I am done with Edeb8

BlackFlags
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 8:23:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I like the site, but admin revealed his true nature over email. He is actually a self righteous prick abusing his administration powers to fulfill a fragile egoic complex.

I started to suspect the self righteous prick part since he spewed nothing but communist rhetoric, and I do not want to generalize communists, but I find they conduct themselves with the same immature behavior and same rejection of their own true intentions.

I didn't want to believe it, but I was in denial. I am discouraging users from using Edeb8 until the adminstration changes. Any sensible people with website design backgrounds also want to splinter from DDO?
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 8:24:46 PM
At 11/4/2015 8:23:28 PM, BlackFlags wrote:

XD The site is just dead.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 8:28:15 PM
At 11/4/2015 8:24:46 PM, Rosalie wrote:

^
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
BlackFlags
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 8:31:49 PM
The site was better for debating, and I didn't mind not having a huge variety of debaters, since I think the experience I gained from one debate on that site outweighed a dozen debates on this site.

What I cannot stand though is being forced to kiss up to an entitled brat who abuses his power simply because he cannot control his fragile emotions
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 8:33:10 PM
At 11/4/2015 8:31:49 PM, BlackFlags wrote:
The site was better for debating, and I didn't mind not having a huge variety of debaters, since I think the experience I gained from one debate on that site outweighed a dozen debates on this site.

What I cannot stand though is being forced to kiss up to an entitled brat who abuses his power simply because he cannot control his fragile emotions

Just be happy we have MAX :p
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
BlackFlags
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 8:36:28 PM
I have problems with the way Airmax moderates too, since my impression has always been that his moderation has always been too lazy, and he often overlooks offenses committed by his friends.

This was far more of an irritating experience though that past moderation discussions on debate.org. I don't like it here as much, just being honest.
The_American_Sniper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 9:06:56 PM
I like the site, but admin revealed his true nature over email. He is actually a self righteous prick abusing his administration powers to fulfill a fragile egoic complex.

I started to suspect the self righteous prick part since he spewed nothing but communist rhetoric, and I do not want to generalize communists, but I find they conduct themselves with the same immature behavior and same rejection of their own true intentions.

I didn't want to believe it, but I was in denial. I am discouraging users from using Edeb8 until the adminstration changes. Any sensible people with website design backgrounds also want to splinter from DDO?

They need to update this damn site. Obama isn't even running for president anymore.
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 9:55:30 PM

I have spent time on both sites and prefer DDO... mostly because of the larger community. I thought Edeb8 was decent but not nearly enough active members to be useful.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 10:00:02 PM

"I'd say DDO is a magnet for sociopathic unstable people"-Larz (http://www.edeb8.com...)

Some mod you have there.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 10:03:11 PM
Isn't this technically a personal attack, since Lars is still technically a member here?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 10:29:34 PM
At 11/4/2015 10:03:11 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Isn't this technically a personal attack, since Lars is still technically a member here?

Technically yes, though Lars pretty much only pops up on DDO for matters concerning the WODC.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 10:54:21 PM
At 11/4/2015 8:24:46 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Poking fun at dead sites?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 11:00:47 PM

Umm, to be fair weren't you a big reason why most people avoided that site? Weren't you also trying too hard to be an overbearing presence on the site?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 11:02:35 PM
At 11/4/2015 8:36:28 PM, BlackFlags wrote:
I have problems with the way Airmax moderates too, since my impression has always been that his moderation has always been too lazy, and he often overlooks offenses committed by his friends.

This was far more of an irritating experience though that past moderation discussions on debate.org. I don't like it here as much, just being honest.

I don't agree with how he does it myself, and I'm not sure if I'd agree with how anybody does it, just because my philosophy on it, will be radically different than most people's, but calling him a lazy moderator is maybe unfair.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 11:04:09 PM
At 11/4/2015 10:00:02 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

"I'd say DDO is a magnet for sociopathic unstable people"-Larz (http://www.edeb8.com...)

Some mod you have there.

His statement isn't untrue. The most dominant personalities on this site seem to be narcissistic and have several personality disorders. It's perhaps why they must spend so much time on the site instead of in real life.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 11:05:47 PM

You know, in this situation I think it's fair. I think people in psuedo positions of power, should be able to take more criticism, and that those breaches of conduct should be more overlooked than normal.
Insignifica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 11:08:47 PM
At 11/4/2015 11:04:09 PM, Wylted wrote:

Some mod you have there.

His statement isn't untrue. The most dominant personalities on this site seem to be narcissistic and have several personality disorders. It's perhaps why they must spend so much time on the site instead of in real life.

The reason why I tend to spend so much time here is because I'm fed up with all the idiots I have to deal with in real life, and find the average intelligence of people on here to be much higher than that of IRL people.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 11:11:40 PM
At 11/4/2015 11:08:47 PM, Insignifica wrote:

Some mod you have there.

The reason why I tend to spend so much time here is because I'm fed up with all the idiots I have to deal with in real life, and find the average intelligence of people on here to be much higher than that of IRL people.

I could agree with you there, but aren't the number of narcissists also disproportionate too?
KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 11:12:41 PM
I have never been interested in Edeb8.
You're sweet. Thank you :) <3 -ESocial

I am sorry Debate.org -KingofEverything

You guys can stop the circlejerk started around the election. It stopped being funny faster than Mirza's anti-American rants. -Jonbonbon

It's like when the kid who makes an ugly sand castle on the beach goes and tries to kick down someone else's sand castle because he couldn't make one as good as that. -YYW
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 11:19:11 PM
At 11/4/2015 11:12:41 PM, KingofEverything wrote:

You'll never become king of edeb8, that way
Insignifica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 11:21:11 PM
At 11/4/2015 11:11:40 PM, Wylted wrote:

Some mod you have there.

I could agree with you there, but aren't the number of narcissists also disproportionate too?

I suppose so. Although I think part of that could just be because people are more willing to express less desirable parts of their personality on here due to the anonymity granted by the internet. I can easily imagine some people I know IRL finding this site and behaving similarly to our worst members. And I myself tend to be less aggressive & condescending during face-to-face interactions.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 11:24:29 PM
At 11/4/2015 11:21:11 PM, Insignifica wrote:
At 11/4/2015 11:11:40 PM, Wylted wrote:

Some mod you have there.

I suppose so. Although I think part of that could just be because people are more willing to express less desirable parts of their personality on here due to the anonymity granted by the internet. I can easily imagine some people I know IRL finding this site and behaving similarly to our worst members. And I myself tend to be less aggressive & condescending during face-to-face interactions.

Well I really think the debates and building of cliques and influence amounts to dick measuring contests among the DDO Elite, and this sort of thing attracts psychopaths, but maybe some of what you said is true, also
KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2015 11:51:34 PM
At 11/4/2015 11:19:11 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 11/4/2015 11:12:41 PM, KingofEverything wrote:

You'll never become king of edeb8, that way

I am a rather lazy king of Edeb8.
You're sweet. Thank you :) <3 -ESocial

I am sorry Debate.org -KingofEverything

You guys can stop the circlejerk started around the election. It stopped being funny faster than Mirza's anti-American rants. -Jonbonbon

It's like when the kid who makes an ugly sand castle on the beach goes and tries to kick down someone else's sand castle because he couldn't make one as good as that. -YYW
BlackFlags
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 12:05:34 AM
I agree with wylted about the level of narcissists online. Usually I spend enough time IRL. Logging on to the internet is just what I do when I am relaxing at home as I wait for notifications from various sites while multi tasking. I assume it is the same for most people, and they are not just unemployed people who hound DDO all day.
BlackFlags
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 12:10:48 AM

Maybe Lars will report me to prove my point
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 1:02:37 AM
Point of clarification as to what actually happened here between myself and Jifpop/Stag/Blackflag:

1. Edeb8 doesn't take a stand against individual personal attacks (within some reasonable limits), but does take a strong stand against a pattern of personal attacks against particular members or a single member - this is known as bullying on edeb8.
2. Edeb8 also takes a stand against making posts in order to get a reaction, as opposed to constructive discussion - this is known as trolling on edeb8.
3. Both are bannable offences.
4. The member in question admitted to (2) on edeb8.
5. The member had substantial evidence against him over the course of a year, from 3 different complainants, that he was bullying. The evidence is still up there on edeb8 if anyone wishes to review it themselves.
6. The member was unrepentant and indeed abusive towards me when I tried to talk to him reasonably about this issue. He was given numerous chances to mend his behavior.
7. Finally, after full and sufficient warning, given the member had offered no explanation for his behaviour other than to launch personal attacks on me, the member's account was suspended.
8. The member took to emailing me abuse, attacks and even a threat. He continued to personally attack me for some time.
9. The member then offered an apology via email. I offered to unban him on the condition that he apologize to the community. He then refused to apologize, instead took to attacking me further, and was banned again, following which he admitted his apology had been insincere.
10. The member continued to email me and has now taken to DDO to mock and insult me.

Happy to offer proof of all of these points to anyone who desires it. This is clearly a member who was caught out for bullying and trolling, and got mad at me because I took it seriously.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 1:08:12 AM

Some mod you have there.

Lol, and he wanted to be president of DDO.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 1:21:35 AM
At 11/5/2015 1:08:12 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Some mod you have there.

Lol, and he wanted to be president of DDO.

sigged-
Insignifica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 1:33:54 AM

Having explored Edeb8 for myself, I am clueless as to how you can possibly believe that. The only particularly good debaters on that site are admin and nzlockie. Compare that to everyone we have here -- whiteflame, thett3, bsh1, RoyLatham, FourTrouble, Zaradi, 16kadams, etc. Even our intermediate-level debaters could give some of Edeb8's best a run for their money -- donald.keller, ShabShoral, tejretics, Kasmic, Beginner, ColeTrain, Hayd etc. There's just so many more opportunities on this site to debate and learn from skilled opponents.

Good debates on edeb8 that happened within the past 2 months
http://www.edeb8.com...
http://www.edeb8.com....

Good debates on debate.org that are happening right now
http://www.debate.org...

I probably missed a few from DDO, because the way I found these was just browsing the profiles of the good debaters I mentioned (one thing DDO could stand to learn from Edeb8 is getting an effective search feature).

And lol 2 out of Edeb8's 4 good debates involved regular DDO members.

That site sucks, and it's very unfortunate that larztheloser has chosen to devote his time to it instead of being a DDO member.