Jump to topic:

3-way Interview with Bsh1, Zaradi, and Saph

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 4:30:44 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
All three candidates of you are in high school/college. How do you think you can balance your studies and your responsibilities on DDO? Do you think this poses a problem?

Bsh1: I think, generally speaking, I can balance them fairly well. DDO is generally an evening activity for me, and I can do school work at other parts of the day. I"ve managed to be on DDO every day during my Presidency, if only for just an hour or two. I"ve kept up with my responsibilities to the site despite ongoing coursework and keeping my grades up. I think this shows that I can cope with the balance pretty well.

Zaradi: Balancing my time between my activities and responsibilities is something that I"ve grown accustomed to doing. During high school I managed my grades, was the captain of my team"s high school debate team, played soccer in a recreational league, spammed league of legends, and wrote fanfiction, all while working thirty-to-forty hours a week. Managing college and DDO won"t be that big of a problem.

Sapphique: It"s still a learning process for me, but I think I"m getting much better at it. What I"ve done since I joined is to go on DDO during my spare time after school, between homework and practicing violin. I"ve been able to spend some time on the site almost every day by doing this, so I don"t foresee any issues that I can"t handle.

How do you really relax and recharge?

Bsh1: I relax and recharge by reading, being on DDO (stressful at times, but usually a great source of fun), writing, and listening to music. Nothing too complicated, actually.

Zaradi: Personally speaking, I play copious amounts of video games. There"s a saying that comes from the introduction of Moby Dick. It reads something like "Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off"then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.". For him it"s the sea. For me, it"s League of Legends and other video games that I truly love playing. Outside of that, I write occasionally and there"s more than a few friends that I have that I can talk to.

And yes, even when I"m answering questions I use mass quotes. It"s just my style. Don"t judge me (this remains in my answer at the humorous request of Bsh1.)

Sapphique: Books. I absolutely love books, especially fantasy and sci-fi. It"s very refreshing for me to lose myself in the setting and plot of a good novel. I also listen to music, and playing my violin helps too because it"s something that I"m good at and that I very much enjoy as a means of expressing myself.

How do you decide whom to trust? How does someone earn your trust?

Bsh1: I think trust has to be earned. You give people a little responsibility, and if they cope with that well, you give them more and more. If they continue to bear that responsibility well, they will eventually earn your trust, because they"ve shown that they can be responsible with even important tasks, information, etc. That"s how I look at it.

Zaradi: Trust isn"t something that I really give to people easily or quickly. Trust is something that has to be built up to. It takes an understanding that someone isn"t going to screw things up or screw you over before you realize that you can trust them. Without those prior experiences of knowing they won"t screw things up, it"s hard to really say that you can trust someone.

Sapphique: Before I decide whether I can trust someone or not, I need to get to know them. Trust is based on past knowledge. By interacting with them and seeing how they approach different situations, how they treat people, I get a feel for their reliability and therefore how much I can trust them based on the integrity and ability that they have demonstrated.

In the past, how have you responded to, evaluated and learned from mistakes?

Bsh1: Usually, I try to recognize what the mistake was--was the idea flawed, or just a part of it, etc. Pinning down the mistake, understanding what it was and why it was made, can help me avoid it in the future. Really, learning from your mistakes means not repeating them, and that"s my ultimate goal: to not repeat them.

Zaradi: A lot of people close to me quickly realize that I"m massively critical of myself, to the point of being harder on myself than I am on anyone else. If I make a mistake, it doesn"t take me very long to figure out what the mistake was and from there it"s just down to figuring out how to fix the mistake and move on with life.

Sapphique: Identifying the cause of the mistake is the most important part and that would definitely be my first step. Once I know why and how something went wrong, then it makes the problem much easier to address and also makes it easier for me to prevent errors in the future. And if I"m not sure about how to improve, I usually ask my friends or family who have experienced similar challenges for advice.

How do you plan to turn your vision for DDO (your plans/programs) into action?

Bsh1: Really, it"s just a matter of hard work. During our term in office, we"ve put in many hours to work on the projects, initiatives, and programs that we took on. Having volunteers is also useful, because it means that you not only have a larger set of experiences to pull from advice-wise, but it also means that you have more people to split up the work. That"s why, as you"ll see in our platform, we have a plank specifically about creating a panel of advisers and volunteers to assist us in achieving our goals for the site.

Zaradi: By going out there and actually doing things and working on stuff. I had a vision for a way for new members to learn from the best of the site instead of having to slog through fifty other new members to get noticed, and by then they"re either discouraged to really fully appreciate the site or just aren"t interested in debating anymore. So I went out and made a program that helps new members get advice and instruction from established debaters on the site so that they can learn to debate the right way from the start, rather than debate the wrong way because they never got a decent opponent or someone who didn"t forfeit the debate. Sitting around hoping things will improve won"t actually make things improve. It"s going out there and working on improving things that will improve things.

Sapphique: I"ll primarily be advising Bsh1 and Zaradi and giving feedback on how best to implement various programs. Getting involved in community activities and member outreach initiatives, helping the administration with oversight, as well as aiding in the creation of an advisory panel are also among the things I"ll be doing to ensure that everything is running smoothly.

How do you think you can inspire users on DDO to contribute their best to the site?

Bsh1: I think by contributing the best we can, ourselves. I think we are well positioned to be role models for users, and if we invest, we can encourage others to invest as well. Also, bringing people together as a community and involving them in projects and community activities is a great way to get people engaged and to make them feel connected to the site.

Zaradi: In my opinion, the best leaders lead from the front. They understand what people under them deal with, and can sympathize with issues that trouble them. It"s by going into the forums and posting quality material and making intelligent discussion th
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 4:31:56 AM
discussions of topics or great polls or opinions that really make people think only encourages others to do the same.

Sapphique: By making sure people are invested in the site and that they feel that their contributions enhance the site as a whole. People are inclined to give their best when they feel engaged. We can facilitate this by expanding community outreach, or even just encouraging more discussion through forum posts, opinions, and polls.

What is your definition of leadership? What is your overarching purpose as a leader?

Bsh1: I think a leader does two main things: they identify problems or areas for improvement and drive solutions for those problems to completion. To lead effectively, community input and cooperation are essential, since very little can be accomplished on one"s own in comparison what can be done with a group. A leader is primarily, then, someone who organizes, motivates, and engages the community in such a way as to solve the problems identified. My overarching purpose, in terms of the DDO Presidency, is to make DDO a better, more entertaining, educational, and intellectual, place for all its users.

Zaradi: A leader is a glorified example for others to look up to, to strive to become more like in their own way. As a leader my entire purpose is to encourage others to participate more on the site, and to encourage others to interact with other users in ways that not only foster intelligent discussion, but fosters a safe environment where people can feel comfortable discussing their opinions.

Sapphique: To me, a leader is a role model--he or she strives to embody good values for others to follow. But more than that, a leader is someone who understands and can identify with others, and is committed to effectively representing their interests in all that they do. My purpose as a leader is to truly connect with users, acting in a way that inspires everyone to give their best to the site.

How will you create a welcoming and safe environment on DDO?

Bsh1: Encouraging community activities is a great way to do this. Ensuring people are having fun in a non-hostile way is important, and things like mafia, fan fiction, DDO Jeopardy!, etc. can positively channel people"s energies. Promoting debates and quality forum content is part of this as well. Additionally, addressing users" grievances is important in that it makes everyone feel and act better when things run smoothly.

Zaradi: The easiest way to create a safe environment is to encourage those interacting in positive ways and not reward those interacting in negative ways. If people understand that people whose aims are to troll and belittle others for their views and beliefs aren"t really welcome, then they"ll feel safer to post their own beliefs and discuss them openly.

Sapphique: First of all, by being welcoming ourselves and encouraging this behavior in others. This means opening up to different viewpoints, always seeking contribution and feedback, involving people in site activities, and actively promoting thoughtful discussion throughout the site. Making sure people know what to do if ever they feel uncomfortable, excluded, or harassed, so that the problem(s) may be addressed, is also a key step in creating a safer site environment.

How is the chemistry between the team? Do you guys feel that you can communicate well and effectively discuss issues.

Bsh1: I think we have good chemistry. Having spent nearly a full term with Zaradi, and co-modding several beginners" series of mafia with Sapphique, I"ve developed a good working relationship with both of them, and I have an enormous amount of personal and professional respect for each of them. They have good work ethics, and both care about the DDO community. I think we will jive well together, and that it will be a very productive exchange of ideas in our administration.

Zaradi: Well, so long as Bsh doesn"t ask me to take my shirt off, we work well together LOL.

Joking aside, Bsh and I work very well together. Personally we"re close friends, and we share a lot of the same views on where the site should head in general and how we should go about getting there. And while I haven"t really worked with Saph very much, the few times we"ve interacted in various parts of the forum have left me with a good impression of her. Moreover, anyone who has Bsh"s trust has mine as well, so I don"t forsee any problems communicating and working together.

Sapphique: Yes, I think we will all work very well together. I greatly respect both Bsh1 and Zaradi as debaters, and beyond that I"ve interacted with Bsh1 a lot through the Beginners" Mafia series. I"ve co-modded a few series with him and I think we operate very smoothly together. Zaradi I haven"t had the chance to talk to as much, but he and Bsh1 have successfully run a whole term together already, so I have complete faith in their capabilities.

What can you do for DDO that other potential candidates can"t?

Bsh1: I think, first and foremost, our team brings a wealth of experience. Zaradi and I have been in elected DDO administrations for a combined 1.5 years. We understand the issues and we understand how to get things done. We also have a good working relationship with moderation, and so we wouldn"t need to start from scratch in that regard.

Secondly, I think we are very involved in the community, and understand the interests of a broad spectrum of DDO users. Saph, for instance, is very involved in mafia and has good connections with many newer users. Zaradi is very involved in debate, and has connections with a lot of more established users. Because we represent a wide variety of DDO users, we can represent their voices and concerns more effectively.

I think we can also bring a degree of stability. DDO has seen a lot of change over in terms of Presidents recently, and I think having the stability of a second term is useful, because it allows an administration to build on its experience and its prior successes. Each time a new President is elected, in many ways, they start anew, and that comes with a learning curve that can delay the implementation of programs and so forth.

Zaradi: Swag. But seriously, we have more experience administratively than virtually anyone else who would run. We have a very good working relationship with moderation meaning we"re more likely to actually accomplish things with our presidency. And we have good connections with the rest of the user base so as to have a better understanding of what people want and why they want it.

Sapphique: Bsh1 and Zaradi bring an enormous amount of experience. Having already completed a term together, this means that we can build onto what has already been accomplished with much more fluency. To a large degree, there is also already an effective relationship with moderation and among our team as well. We represent a broad range of people, with Bsh1 and Zaradi having connections with many older users, and me being more familiar with a lot of newer users through my involvement in mafia. These ties will serve us well in addressing issues across the site.

What"s your ideal society like?

Bsh1: I think an "ideal" society is one in which cooperation is the primary order of the day. People recognize that they have certain interests, and that working together in a civil, community-driven way, is one of the best ways that they can achieve those interests.

Zaradi: In terms of the site, I feel like the ideal society is one where everyone understands that everyone else is more than just a user name on a screen, and that we can all respect one another and have rational discussions about sensitive issues without actually flaming others. Oh, and if people stopped putting that "No kritiks" rule in the opening round of debates. Like, c"mon"

Sapphique: For me, the ideal DDO society would be a society
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 4:31:57 AM
Appreciate you agreeing to interview us, Hayd!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 4:33:17 AM
in which there are people active and engaged in all aspects of the site, whether it"s debates, opinions, polls, or the various forums. Everyone should be free to articulate their opinions and to have intelligent and respectful discourse.

How would you describe your work style?

Bsh1: I would say that I am the kind of person who is motivated to get stuff done on DDO, and that my work style is one that is very focused on the task at hand. I am also the kind of person who seeks regular feedback and outside assistance, because I recognize that different perspectives and extra sets of hands are almost always invaluable.

Zaradi: I work in spurts. If I"m interested and motivated to do the work, then I work harder and faster than most people I know. If I"m not motivated, then it might take me a while to get to it. It"s more of a "when I"ll get around to it" than a "If I"ll do it", since I always get around to doing things I say I"ll do, but motivation and interest is key.

Sapphique: I"m very organized--I like to plan things out in advance because scheduling all the work I need to complete helps me to stay focused and avoid procrastination. I tend to alternate between set periods of intense concentration where I dedicate myself to achieving a single objective, and longer periods where I make balanced progress among multiple different tasks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoyed that interview with our first candidates for DDO presidency!
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 4:34:39 AM
Lol...and sorry for interrupting your posts :P
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 4:35:28 AM
At 11/5/2015 4:34:39 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Lol...and sorry for interrupting your posts :P

Lol.

Thanks Hayd :)
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 4:47:26 AM
I contemplated some kind of witty reply, but couldn't come up with anything good enough.

So yeah. Thanks, Hayd!
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 5:44:26 AM
At 11/5/2015 4:47:26 AM, Zaradi wrote:
I contemplated some kind of witty reply, but couldn't come up with anything good enough.

Lol...no comment.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 6:49:33 AM
With publicity like this and with the massive quantity of experience that Bsh1 could appeal to, I literally don't see any way for Bsh1 and his co-candidates to not win the upcoming election - short of withdrawal.

Meh. Bsh is doing a great job. I think he'll continue to do a great job, so I'm cool with this.
Senpai has noticed you.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 6:55:06 AM
At 11/5/2015 6:49:33 AM, Beginner wrote:
Meh. Bsh is doing a great job. I think he'll continue to do a great job, so I'm cool with this.

Lol...I appreciate the vote of confidence.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 6:56:28 AM
It would've been funny if, in a momentary lapse, Hayd had titled this thread: "3-way with Bsh1, Zaradi, and Saph."
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 6:59:52 AM
Nice interview. Good questions and responses, and it was interesting to see replies from all three individuals.
Debate.org Moderator
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 7:06:10 AM
At 11/5/2015 6:56:28 AM, bsh1 wrote:
It would've been funny if, in a momentary lapse, Hayd had titled this thread: "3-way with Bsh1, Zaradi, and Saph."

Admit it - you wouldn't have let him or Airmax delete the thread if it happened.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 7:06:54 AM
At 11/5/2015 7:06:10 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Admit it - you wouldn't have let him or Airmax delete the thread if it happened.

I admit it. I am shameless.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 7:08:10 AM

>.<
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 7:09:46 AM
At 11/5/2015 7:08:10 AM, Sapphique wrote:

>.<

Lol.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 7:10:30 AM
At 11/5/2015 6:59:52 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
Nice interview. Good questions and responses, and it was interesting to see replies from all three individuals.

Gracias. I am looking forward to the next few weeks; it should spur some interesting/substantive discussions.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics