Jump to topic:

Really quiet?

JackNapier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 3:32:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Not sure why but I expected the site to be a great deal more active than it is. It seems a shame that's it not as it's a good idea. Looking around there seem so many good and well presented debates that get one or no votes at all. Sort of seems a waste of the efforts of both sides. Even if debates were getting say 30 votes it would be okay, but it doesn't seem to be happening in my experience of looking around and my own debates. Any ideas on getting more voters to make it worth the effort?
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 3:37:08 AM
At 11/6/2015 3:32:36 AM, JackNapier wrote:
Not sure why but I expected the site to be a great deal more active than it is. It seems a shame that's it not as it's a good idea. Looking around there seem so many good and well presented debates that get one or no votes at all. Sort of seems a waste of the efforts of both sides. Even if debates were getting say 30 votes it would be okay, but it doesn't seem to be happening in my experience of looking around and my own debates. Any ideas on getting more voters to make it worth the effort?

This is an issue that people are well aware of on the site. Just dig around in previous posts and you'll find that progress is hard to make.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 4:38:15 AM

It's an issue, one that I agree plagues the site. It's why I spend almost all of my time these days on the site either moderating or producing my own votes. It's why I've joined a voting group aimed at covering a good deal more of the debates that would otherwise not receive them. People would rather debate themselves or engage in some other facet of the site than actively vote, that's just the way things are. The only ways to change that to any great degree involve either a very large grassroots effort (many have tried), or Juggle making some substantial changes, which isn't likely to happen anytime soon.
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 4:42:36 AM

I definitely would like more votes to be cast, however no votes certainly does not make the debate a waste of time. I don't come here to just win debates....
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Insignifica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 4:58:57 AM
At 11/6/2015 4:38:15 AM, whiteflame wrote:

It's an issue, one that I agree plagues the site. It's why I spend almost all of my time these days on the site either moderating or producing my own votes. It's why I've joined a voting group aimed at covering a good deal more of the debates that would otherwise not receive them. People would rather debate themselves or engage in some other facet of the site than actively vote, that's just the way things are. The only ways to change that to any great degree involve either a very large grassroots effort (many have tried), or Juggle making some substantial changes, which isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

Is there any way to put a debate back into the voting period?
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 6:02:49 AM
At 11/6/2015 4:58:57 AM, Insignifica wrote:
At 11/6/2015 4:38:15 AM, whiteflame wrote:

As far as I'm aware, even airmax doesn't have that kind of power.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 11:00:51 AM

You're going to have to form an informal voting clique with other new members who have trouble getting a lot of votes on their debates. You all can help each other out by voting on each other's debates, until you're more well known.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 11:13:20 AM
At 11/6/2015 3:37:08 AM, TheProphett wrote:

This is an issue that people are well aware of on the site. Just dig around in previous posts and you'll find that progress is hard to make.

A charity for voteless debates has been started by mr. Bench. You can put money in his go fund me account to help with him.
Insignifica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 2:22:42 PM
At 11/6/2015 11:13:20 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 11/6/2015 3:37:08 AM, TheProphett wrote:

A charity for voteless debates has been started by mr. Bench. You can put money in his go fund me account to help with him.

LMAO.
That video was genius.
JackNapier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 6:46:10 PM
Shame. When I stumbled across it, it had the look and feel of a place where really good debates would be played out and then readers would decide who had made the best case and give feedback comments. But as others have said on here, and in my own experience and observations, it is tumbleweed blowing more often than not.
The funny thing is you can go onto any standard forum and people cannot wait to make a case for or against something and there are no shortage of folks that then post to comment on their statements. I guess I thought it would be like that but in a more controlled and organised manner.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 9:51:54 PM
I don't come here to just win debates....

Same. Some of my favorite debates have been the ones that I've tied / lost. I've learnt a lot more from them.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Amoranemix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2015 9:52:50 PM
I haven't been following those discussions on the problem of lack of votes because I don't vote, but it seems obvious to me that giving people voting rights would make it more likely they will vote.
Just a thought.

If every debater voted at least as much as (s)he debated, there would be an average of more than two votes per debate.
Just a thought.

The fewer voters a debate has, the more impact one has as a voter on the result.
Just a thought.

- Whiteflame 3
[ . . . ]The only ways to change that to any great degree involve either a very large grassroots effort (many have tried), or Juggle making some substantial changes, which isn't likely to happen anytime soon.
What is a grassroots effort ?

- Insignifica 5
It could be useful to make the voting period dependent on the number of votes already cast.
The earth does not belong to man; man belongs to the earth.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 6:49:04 AM
That is the problem. Some people who are not known in the site who are good, do not get wins if they are better than the opponent who is really good in the site. Also some debates never get voted which make the hard effort into nothing.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
JackNapier
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 1:55:25 AM
At 11/6/2015 9:51:54 PM, famousdebater wrote:
I don't come here to just win debates....

Same. Some of my favorite debates have been the ones that I've tied / lost. I've learnt a lot more from them.

Nor me. I came here to win, lose or tie them. Hopefully learn something and hopefully shared something others can learn. My point was more one of no one voting at all rather than who wins or loses.