Jump to topic:

ELO is not important, it is the Percentile

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 7:39:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think that ELO is not important. I think that the Percentile is more important.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 9:28:09 AM
At 11/7/2015 7:39:42 AM, fire_wings wrote:
I think that ELO is not important. I think that the Percentile is more important.

If by "important" you mean "accurate," I think that's demonstrably false.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 9:30:08 AM
At 11/7/2015 9:28:09 AM, bsh1 wrote:

True. However I think that Percentile is more accurate then ELO because Wylted has more losses and less wins than 16kadams, however his ELO is higher.

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Chrysaor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 2:45:12 PM
At 11/7/2015 9:30:08 AM, fire_wings wrote:

True. However I think that Percentile is more accurate then ELO because Wylted has more losses and less wins than 16kadams, however his ELO is higher.

So? Debating skill isn't judged based on the number of wins -- the best a statistic can do is judge based on who was defeated. 16kadams, as I have seen so far, has often debated inexperienced and weak debaters, and won, while Wylted has won more times against debaters who are more experienced. [Though, of course, I am new to this site, so perhaps you are more correct than I am.]
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 3:05:25 PM
At 11/7/2015 2:45:12 PM, Chrysaor wrote:

So? Debating skill isn't judged based on the number of wins -- the best a statistic can do is judge based on who was defeated. 16kadams, as I have seen so far, has often debated inexperienced and weak debaters, and won, while Wylted has won more times against debaters who are more experienced. [Though, of course, I am new to this site, so perhaps you are more correct than I am.]

+1
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 3:12:48 PM

16k can still beat several good debaters.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 3:51:54 PM
At 11/7/2015 3:12:48 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

He beat Roy, Danielle, and also Mikal.

donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 7:51:18 PM
At 11/7/2015 3:51:54 PM, fire_wings wrote:
At 11/7/2015 3:12:48 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

He beat Roy, Danielle, and also Mikal.

Yes. But those made up 3 of nearly 350 debates. with 30+ losses
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 8:01:06 PM
This has been discussed a lot, so I'm not going to go into too much detail here. I'll just briefly explain why both aren't that accurate

Percentile judges you by the number of wins you have compared to the rest of the registered members. By getting one win, regardless of how many debates it takes you to get a win, you become better than over half of the site from all the accounts who register and either never finish a debate or lose one debate and lose interest in the site. You can also have a hundred wins and be ranked highly in percentile, even if they also had a thousand losses. It's not an accurate reflection of how well someone debates, rather it just reflects for how long someone has debated.

ELO also isn't perfect because you can artificially set up debates that are near impossible to lose and noob snipe your way to a higher elo that isn't actually reflective of your actual skill.

The best way to determine how good someone is is to a) read their arguments and understand how their arguments function in relation to their opponent's arguments and the resolution in general, understand *why* they made the arguments they did as opposed to other arguments they could've made, and stack that subjective evaluation against other people, or b) just debate them and find out for yourself.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 8:06:12 PM

*facepalm*
Tsar of DDO
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 8:38:50 PM

I am not the greatest, but I am not that bad.

I beat Roy (I mean, hard to lose that kind of debate though), Danielle (I took the impossible side, so I am proud of that), I actually beat Wylted, but he conceded that debate, I beat Varrack (who is not a best NA but is good), Mikal, and 1HG twice.

And I debate a lot of noobs because if I am salty about a loss, I debate noobs to make up for it because I am a rager and I am always best NA, BEST NA, and if I lose they are still worse because I let them win so they feel good about themselves. :P

(*cough* still salty about losing to Roy *cough*)
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 10:04:26 PM
At 11/7/2015 8:38:50 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I beat Roy (I mean, hard to lose that kind of debate though), Danielle (I took the impossible side, so I am proud of that), I actually beat Wylted, but he conceded that debate, I beat Varrack (who is not a best NA but is good), Mikal, and 1HG twice.

And I debate a lot of noobs because if I am salty about a loss, I debate noobs to make up for it because I am a rager and I am always best NA, BEST NA, and if I lose they are still worse because I let them win so they feel good about themselves. :P

noob Kappa
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Chrysaor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 1:19:23 AM
At 11/7/2015 8:38:50 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I know you're not bad. I was merely justifying why the "ELO" statistic seems accurate enough.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 1:40:38 AM

What the fvck is that supposed to mean?