Jump to topic:

Best DDO voters

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 4:45:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
We've seen a decent number of threads about who are the best debaters, and while that is certainly appropriate for a debate site, we rarely have had discussions about those that we feel are the best voters.

Though being a great debater on the site over a lengthy period of time is a way to earn a lot of respect on the site, it shouldn't be overlooked how much this is also true of being a great voter. Being a great voter can potentially earn one even greater respect on the site, and even faster. Conversely, being a bad voter, one who votes lazily, ideologically, or without proper explanations or feedback, is one of the quickest ways on the site to become disliked and lose respect from other members.

Being a member who regularly places high quality votes on debates, is someone who is greatly valued, because even more than a high quantity of votes, we need high quality votes. While quantity certainly matters, quality is what dictates if those votes and therefore that member will be respected, as placing lots of bad votes is probably the quickest way to earn the ire of a lot of members.

So with all of that said, who do you think are the best voters on the site?

Just off the top of my head, I'm going to say Whiteflame and Bladerunner. While both are voting less frequently these days due to other responsibilities, I think both are two of the best voters in the history of the site.

So who are the best voters to you?
Debate.org Moderator
KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 4:53:14 AM
At 11/8/2015 4:45:58 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
We've seen a decent number of threads about who are the best debaters, and while that is certainly appropriate for a debate site, we rarely have had discussions about those that we feel are the best voters.

Though being a great debater on the site over a lengthy period of time is a way to earn a lot of respect on the site, it shouldn't be overlooked how much this is also true of being a great voter. Being a great voter can potentially earn one even greater respect on the site, and even faster. Conversely, being a bad voter, one who votes lazily, ideologically, or without proper explanations or feedback, is one of the quickest ways on the site to become disliked and lose respect from other members.

Being a member who regularly places high quality votes on debates, is someone who is greatly valued, because even more than a high quantity of votes, we need high quality votes. While quantity certainly matters, quality is what dictates if those votes and therefore that member will be respected, as placing lots of bad votes is probably the quickest way to earn the ire of a lot of members.

Just off the top of my head, I'm going to say Whiteflame and Bladerunner. While both are voting less frequently these days due to other responsibilities, I think both are two of the best voters in the history of the site.

Whiteflame. Definitely.
You're sweet. Thank you :) <3 -ESocial

I am sorry Debate.org -KingofEverything

You guys can stop the circlejerk started around the election. It stopped being funny faster than Mirza's anti-American rants. -Jonbonbon

It's like when the kid who makes an ugly sand castle on the beach goes and tries to kick down someone else's sand castle because he couldn't make one as good as that. -YYW
KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 4:53:37 AM

Balacafa is pretty good too.

You guys can stop the circlejerk started around the election. It stopped being funny faster than Mirza's anti-American rants. -Jonbonbon

It's like when the kid who makes an ugly sand castle on the beach goes and tries to kick down someone else's sand castle because he couldn't make one as good as that. -YYW
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 4:56:42 AM

White flame, bladerunner, BSH1.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 5:00:48 AM

You make good votes too, airmax.

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 5:05:29 AM
At 11/8/2015 5:00:48 AM, KingofEverything wrote:

Thanks, though it's something I do too often these days.

Though if I am asked to be a judge on a debate through that voting option, I do find time to make sure I do so in most cases.
Debate.org Moderator
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 5:07:17 AM
I do think tejretics is getting pretty good.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 5:08:08 AM
At 11/8/2015 5:07:17 AM, kasmic wrote:
I do think tejretics is getting pretty good.

You are right.

KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 5:09:35 AM
At 11/8/2015 5:05:29 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/8/2015 5:00:48 AM, KingofEverything wrote:

Thanks, though it's something I do too often these days.

Though if I am asked to be a judge on a debate through that voting option, I do find time to make sure I do so in most cases.

It is good to have a site's moderator like you. I wish I had more people like you in my life.

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 5:24:23 AM

(1) This is the first thread that has caught my attention in a while, so thanks for that.

(2) Based on the people who have voted on my debates before, Raisor has a way of judging debates that I like. His votes always make sense. If ever my vote contradicts his, and I read his vote, my reaction is often, "Why didn't I think of that?" His debate experience thoroughly helps him there. His RFD's are also quite concise and crisp, and I like that. Bluesteel has a similar judging style, which I also like.

(3) Whiteflame and Bladerunner (and you, Airmax, though I haven't seen you judge debates too often) are the most thorough judges on the site. They go out of their way to add points that didn't need to be there for a good RFD, providing -- in addition to merely a "reason for decision" -- feedback for both debaters to improve. Whiteflame's votes, in particular, have made me strive to improve and his voting itself has helped me immensely.

(4) Among less acknowledged voters, FT, thett3, and bsh1 are also great judges.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 5:38:10 AM
At 11/8/2015 5:24:23 AM, tejretics wrote:

(1) This is the first thread that has caught my attention in a while, so thanks for that.

thanks, and no problem. It's something we surprisingly haven't seen much discussion about.

(2) Based on the people who have voted on my debates before, Raisor has a way of judging debates that I like. His votes always make sense. If ever my vote contradicts his, and I read his vote, my reaction is often, "Why didn't I think of that?" His debate experience thoroughly helps him there. His RFD's are also quite concise and crisp, and I like that. Bluesteel has a similar judging style, which I also like.

Yeah, I agree on both Raisor and Bluseteel.

(3) Whiteflame and Bladerunner (and you, Airmax, though I haven't seen you judge debates too often) are the most thorough judges on the site. They go out of their way to add points that didn't need to be there for a good RFD, providing -- in addition to merely a "reason for decision" -- feedback for both debaters to improve. Whiteflame's votes, in particular, have made me strive to improve and his voting itself has helped me immensely.

Thanks, it's certainly true I don't judge debates often - though part of that is that I'm not asked too often. As I said earlier I find time if I'm asked (through the judge voting option), but I think most can understand that I don't have the time to vote on debates much these days - especially to the extent that I feel is necessary. I spent several hours working on my last RFD for example.

(4) Among less acknowledged voters, FT, thett3, and bsh1 are also great judges.

I agree with those three as well. FT, Thett, and Bsh are all good voters.
Debate.org Moderator
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 5:52:07 AM
People vote?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 6:20:12 AM
I vote... Wrote a 25,000 character vote a while ago... I hated it lol.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 6:27:39 AM
At 11/8/2015 6:20:12 AM, donald.keller wrote:

That is why I hate voting. RFD character inflation.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 6:36:30 AM

This guy http://www.debate.org.... Runner up would be this guy: http://www.debate.org...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 6:38:26 AM
At 11/8/2015 6:36:30 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

This guy http://www.debate.org.... Runner up would be this guy: http://www.debate.org...

Ironically, neither placed a single vote on a debate.
Debate.org Moderator
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 8:23:11 AM
Yeah, Raisor's votes make the most compelling sense to me and it shows that he thoroughly understands the debate in all its depth. Whiteflame is a close second. In contrast to Raisor, he elaborates a lot more so it is a different style but makes just as much sense. bluesteel would definitely make my top five as well. I tend to disagree on a lot of his focus and he occasionally makes too many assumptions on the arguments but some votes I've seen from him are stellar. I've never had the pleasure of having a debate judged by bladerunner but I assume he'll make my top five as well based on his votes.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 9:46:11 AM

It was a good vote.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 10:57:59 AM
YYW is good.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 6:54:48 PM
If I were picking a group of judges for one of my debates, I'd want bladerunner, whiteflame, Raisor, YYW, and Romanii. These guys consistently give strong votes, though I often disagree with them.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 8:30:47 PM
Whiteflame, Thett, and Bladerunner are all fantastic, and are "the best" in that they are all at the highest level of voting prowess. Bluesteel, Raisor, F16, etc. are also all excellent. Some underrated voters include Airmax, Romanii, and Tej.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2015 11:03:56 PM

Whiteflame, to my knowledge. :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:26:54 AM
I'll just go back to my vote cave u.u lol
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:32:41 AM
At 11/8/2015 6:54:48 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
If I were picking a group of judges for one of my debates, I'd want bladerunner, whiteflame, Raisor, YYW, and Romanii. These guys consistently give strong votes, though I often disagree with them.

Thanks.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:36:20 AM
Bladerunner and thett are the people who consistently get the most decisions right, for the right reasons, as best I can tell. I have obviously not read all the RFD's of all of the highest level voters, but Bladerunner and thett are both extremely bright and think in the way that judging requires: logically. While their judging style is not directly analogical to mine, it is good enough for me to list them as people whose RFD's others should read to understand what an RFD should do. Not only do they consistently cast high quality votes, they also don't get caught up in a lot of the irrelevant stuff that many other judges (some of whom are even highly regarded) get distracted or confused by.
Tsar of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:42:05 AM
At 11/8/2015 5:52:07 AM, imabench wrote:
People vote?

lol I was thinking the same thing. I probably haven't even viewed a debate in at least 2 years. That's probably (in part) because they're no longer featured prominently on the homepage, like they were several years ago.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:45:20 AM
At 11/9/2015 12:42:05 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 11/8/2015 5:52:07 AM, imabench wrote:
People vote?

lol I was thinking the same thing. I probably haven't even viewed a debate in at least 2 years. That's probably (in part) because they're no longer featured prominently on the homepage, like they were several years ago.

Who reads the home page...
Tsar of DDO
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 4:23:15 PM

I have no idea how long my longest RFD but it's pretty long.

http://www.debate.org...
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy