Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

My solution to stop many forfeited debates.

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 9:44:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
These days in debate.org, there are too many troll, one round debates, or forfeited debates. I think this is because of people new to this site make their account, and never respond to it. I think that we should close some accounts.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:42:35 PM
At 11/9/2015 9:44:28 AM, fire_wings wrote:
These days in debate.org, there are too many troll, one round debates, or forfeited debates. I think this is because of people new to this site make their account, and never respond to it. I think that we should close some accounts.

Most of the time, these accounts are only online for a day, and then the users never log back on. So, you're proposing that we close accounts that are--in effect--already closed, since they're never used? That won't fix the problem, since by closing the accounts, you force the user whose account was closed to forfeit each round of their existing debates.

Moreover, you cannot close accounts for mere inactivity or failure to post rounds. Neither of those things violate the TOS, and it is always possible that those members may return one day and become more involved in the community.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:44:00 PM
At 11/9/2015 12:42:35 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Most of the time, these accounts are only online for a day, and then the users never log back on. So, you're proposing that we close accounts that are--in effect--already closed, since they're never used? That won't fix the problem, since by closing the accounts, you force the user whose account was closed to forfeit each round of their existing debates.

Moreover, you cannot close accounts for mere inactivity or failure to post rounds. Neither of those things violate the TOS, and it is always possible that those members may return one day and become more involved in the community.

True. However I hate it when my opponent has never came online and not posting. I hate being patient in that way.

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:45:35 PM
At 11/9/2015 12:44:00 PM, fire_wings wrote:

True. However I hate it when my opponent has never came online and not posting. I hate being patient in that way.

I just hate those red marks on the screen

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:46:28 PM

True, it is inconvenient, but it is unavoidable in many ways that this happens. My recommendation to you would be to look at your prospective opponent's account before you accept the debate. If they haven't been on the site at least 2 weeks, if their general activity is low, if they have a generic (purple circle) avatar, and if they have a history of forfeiting, I would suggest to you that you not accept their debate, as it is likely they will forfeit.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:47:37 PM
At 11/9/2015 12:46:28 PM, bsh1 wrote:

True, it is inconvenient, but it is unavoidable in many ways that this happens. My recommendation to you would be to look at your prospective opponent's account before you accept the debate. If they haven't been on the site at least 2 weeks, if their general activity is low, if they have a generic (purple circle) avatar, and if they have a history of forfeiting, I would suggest to you that you not accept their debate, as it is likely they will forfeit.

Yeah, but then some people don't. I always think of the chance.

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:49:18 PM
At 11/9/2015 12:47:37 PM, fire_wings wrote:

Some don't, you're right. But it is a question of probability. If you want to minimize the amount of straight forfeited debates you do, then doing what I recommended is the best way to go. But, obviously, you need to decide for yourself whether the chance of someone not forfeiting is worth taking the debate.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:50:02 PM
At 11/9/2015 12:49:18 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Some don't, you're right. But it is a question of probability. If you want to minimize the amount of straight forfeited debates you do, then doing what I recommended is the best way to go. But, obviously, you need to decide for yourself whether the chance of someone not forfeiting is worth taking the debate.

Okay, I hope your strategy works.

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 12:51:00 PM
At 11/9/2015 12:50:02 PM, fire_wings wrote:
At 11/9/2015 12:49:18 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Okay, I hope your strategy works.

I don't think you'll be able to always avoid forfeits this way, but it should reduce the number of forfeits you get. Lemme know how it goes.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics