Jump to topic:

Economic Revival Program: Overview

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 6:23:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Introduction: ColeTrain (http://www.debate.org...) and TheProphett (http://www.debate.org...) would like to present to you the Economic Revival Program! We hope that this project will spark discussion in the economics forum and spur analysis about topics of significant importance. Here is our overall plan:

Goals:
-- Write articles designed to inspire thought, stimulate discussion, and ultimately reinvigorate the economics forum after a lapse of conversation.
-- One (or more) article (subject to further specification) per week, heavily edited by both of us (and perhaps outside members who express interest), and devoid of political bias (ColeTrain is conservative, and TheProphett is liberal).
-- All subjects will be current events (up to 1 year ago), and special reports will come every 3-4 weeks that will be multi-faceted and cover detailed and complex situations.
-- We will use multiple sources to back up our arguments and reasoning, and viewers can use those sources to form their own conclusions or provide feedback on our posts. We want them to be both informative and accurate. (Sources such as The Economist, WSJ, New York Times, Money, Foreign Affairs, etc.)

Logistics: Most all of our posts will be posted within the Economics forum, and we will try to use the best formatting that is supported. In instances where outside representation is required, we will provide links to Google Documents that will accurately portray our evidence, data, statistics, and analysis.

Community: Our endeavor exceeds simply feedback and discussion from the community. We also desire community involvement in regards to topics and ways to improve the program. If you have any topics you"d like to suggest, feel free to add them here: [https://docs.google.com...] If readers have any questions or feedback to give regarding the project or articles, please post them in the thread, and we will get back to you as soon as possible. This program won't be a success if we don't get feedback and community involvement, so this aspect is essential. Please, for the sake of discussion and the success of the program, contribute your thoughts to our work.
- On a side note, if you are interested in becoming a writer, you should contact one of the main authors, and we will discuss your potential recruitment.

Summary: This project started purely out of a common interest in the field of economics, and we think that if done correctly, it could prove to be a very successful endeavor. We want to generate an increased amount of commentary and activity within the economics forum, and our vision is that our articles will effectively achieve that. Devoid of political bias, using credible sources and current events, we have no doubt that our posts will prove to be an insightful look into the world of economics. We both want this project to be a positive addition to the forums and an outlet to spur intellectual conversation. If you have any pertinent questions, concerns, or any problems with the program, please feel free to contact either of us by PM.

***This project has been approved by the DDO presidency***
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 6:56:20 PM
At 11/11/2015 6:55:33 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 11/11/2015 6:23:12 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Great idea by the way. :)

Thanks!
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 7:06:53 PM
My problem with the economics forum is that it is inherently tied to our political structure and society. Thus, there's less need for the economics being there beyond theory.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 7:51:07 PM
At 11/11/2015 7:06:08 PM, Insignifica wrote:
I saw the title of the thread and was hoping for an actual policy proposal to revive the economy.

Lol. Just wait. :P I do hope you'll contribute, you seem fairly knowledgeable about policy.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 7:51:54 PM
At 11/11/2015 7:06:53 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
My problem with the economics forum is that it is inherently tied to our political structure and society. Thus, there's less need for the economics being there beyond theory.

Well, you don't *have* to read. I do hope, however, you'll find interest. :)
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 8:42:06 PM
Can't wait!
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 9:03:26 PM
At 11/11/2015 8:42:06 PM, TheProphett wrote:
Can't wait!
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2015 9:06:06 PM
I wish you guys the best luck with this program!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 2:14:31 AM
I saw the title of the thread and was hoping for an actual policy proposal to revive the economy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 2:31:19 AM
At 11/12/2015 2:14:31 AM, 16kadams wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry to disappoint.... :(
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 4:32:47 AM
At 11/11/2015 9:06:06 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I wish you guys the best luck with this program!

Thanks! :)
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 4:33:49 AM
At 11/12/2015 2:14:31 AM, 16kadams wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lol.. I just told you about this. Short-term memory loss? ;)
But, you never know. If we analyze the flat tax, we might have that xD
Stefanwaal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 7:08:25 AM
This sounds interesting. I'm curious to see what will happen.

I wonder though, what's the problem with YYW? It looks like 4 people suggested a topic that talk about him in a... unique way.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 2:38:18 PM
At 11/13/2015 1:26:22 PM, Hayd wrote:
My economic revival program is better than yours and will fix the forum immediately.

Step 1: Bring Joey back

Ikr. :P
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 2:41:02 PM
At 11/13/2015 7:08:25 AM, Stefanwaal wrote:
This sounds interesting. I'm curious to see what will happen.

Good. :) Me, too!

I wonder though, what's the problem with YYW? It looks like 4 people suggested a topic that talk about him in a... unique way.

Those have been removed and won't be accepted.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 8:17:31 PM
Bump -- The first post is up, this is a thing again, I'll be able to help xD
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 5:21:53 AM
Introduction: ColeTrain (http://www.debate.org...) and TheProphett (http://www.debate.org...) would like to present to you the Economic Revival Program! We hope that this project will spark discussion in the economics forum and spur analysis about topics of significant importance. Here is our overall plan:

Goals:
-- Write articles designed to inspire thought, stimulate discussion, and ultimately reinvigorate the economics forum after a lapse of conversation.
-- One (or more) article (subject to further specification) per week, heavily edited by both of us (and perhaps outside members who express interest), and devoid of political bias (ColeTrain is conservative, and TheProphett is liberal).
-- All subjects will be current events (up to 1 year ago), and special reports will come every 3-4 weeks that will be multi-faceted and cover detailed and complex situations.
-- We will use multiple sources to back up our arguments and reasoning, and viewers can use those sources to form their own conclusions or provide feedback on our posts. We want them to be both informative and accurate. (Sources such as The Economist, WSJ, New York Times, Money, Foreign Affairs, etc.)

Logistics: Most all of our posts will be posted within the Economics forum, and we will try to use the best formatting that is supported. In instances where outside representation is required, we will provide links to Google Documents that will accurately portray our evidence, data, statistics, and analysis.

Community: Our endeavor exceeds simply feedback and discussion from the community. We also desire community involvement in regards to topics and ways to improve the program. If you have any topics you"d like to suggest, feel free to add them here: [https://docs.google.com...] If readers have any questions or feedback to give regarding the project or articles, please post them in the thread, and we will get back to you as soon as possible. This program won't be a success if we don't get feedback and community involvement, so this aspect is essential. Please, for the sake of discussion and the success of the program, contribute your thoughts to our work.
- On a side note, if you are interested in becoming a writer, you should contact one of the main authors, and we will discuss your potential recruitment.

Summary: This project started purely out of a common interest in the field of economics, and we think that if done correctly, it could prove to be a very successful endeavor. We want to generate an increased amount of commentary and activity within the economics forum, and our vision is that our articles will effectively achieve that. Devoid of political bias, using credible sources and current events, we have no doubt that our posts will prove to be an insightful look into the world of economics. We both want this project to be a positive addition to the forums and an outlet to spur intellectual conversation. If you have any pertinent questions, concerns, or any problems with the program, please feel free to contact either of us by PM.

Good luck!
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 5:41:16 AM
At 11/29/2015 5:21:53 AM, fire_wings wrote:

Goals:

Good luck!

Thanks!
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 5:42:20 AM
At 11/29/2015 5:41:16 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 11/29/2015 5:21:53 AM, fire_wings wrote:

Goals:

Good luck!

Thanks!

I read one, quite interesting, but confusing in the other hand.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 5:42:33 AM
At 11/29/2015 12:58:53 AM, mc9 wrote:
/in

Sweet! here's the link for adding topics you'd like to see! :)

https://docs.google.com...
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 5:44:14 AM

Goals:

I need help with the revival, militarization aND expansion of the history forum.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 5:46:50 AM
At 11/29/2015 5:44:14 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Goals:

I need help with the revival, militarization aND expansion of the history forum.

Yeah... I'd love to help if I could... Any interest in Economics, by chance? haha :P

I'll try to do what I can. I suggested a General and voted haha, didn't see anything else I could help with at this point, though. PM me if you need some help. History is something I'm definitely interested in. I'd reach out to Unitomic as well, if possible. I *think* he's into history.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 10:40:18 PM
At 11/29/2015 5:42:33 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
/in

Can I come up with my own article?
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 10:41:12 PM
At 11/29/2015 10:40:18 PM, mc9 wrote:
At 11/29/2015 5:42:33 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
/in

Can I come up with my own article?

PM me.