Jump to topic:

Debate Help

TrufflesofGlory
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 5:46:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hello, my name is Steven. I recently decided that I'm going to try out for my high school's debate team in the upcoming school year, but I have no experience with debating or outside knowledge I can draw from. I'm worried, therefore, about my chances of being admitted since most people on the team are very experienced and can probably argue circles around me. I joined this website hoping that someone could guide me in the right direction so I at least have a fighting chance.

If someone could tell me where I should even start, I would immensely appreciate it.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 5:57:06 PM
At 11/12/2015 5:46:53 PM, TrufflesofGlory wrote:
Hello, my name is Steven. I recently decided that I'm going to try out for my high school's debate team in the upcoming school year, but I have no experience with debating or outside knowledge I can draw from. I'm worried, therefore, about my chances of being admitted since most people on the team are very experienced and can probably argue circles around me. I joined this website hoping that someone could guide me in the right direction so I at least have a fighting chance.

If someone could tell me where I should even start, I would immensely appreciate it.

This is a link to the debate leader board.

http://www.debate.org...

Start there, read the debates. bsh1 has written a good doc (well, I haven't actually read the thing, but...) its around here somewhere.

Start a couple debates. Try it out. Remember, you are starting at the same level as others. Don't Panic.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 6:04:09 PM
Try this link

There are a lot of debates and debaters that get silly. You do have to weed through them a bit to find something of worth.
TrufflesofGlory
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 6:08:41 PM
At 11/12/2015 6:04:09 PM, TBR wrote:
Try this link

There are a lot of debates and debaters that get silly. You do have to weed through them a bit to find something of worth.

Thank you for the links! I will take a closer look, and it's really great to see that people put in so much time and effort into their debates here (or they're just naturally gifted beyond my wildest imagination). That debate was a bit scary, as were several others that I viewed (and they're so, so long, too), but hopefully I'll eventually be up to par.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 6:11:36 PM
Thank you for the links! I will take a closer look, and it's really great to see that people put in so much time and effort into their debates here (or they're just naturally gifted beyond my wildest imagination). That debate was a bit scary, as were several others that I viewed (and they're so, so long, too), but hopefully I'll eventually be up to par.

There is a new user tournament, and mentor program. Each I know nothing of. Friend this person

bsh1

he is the current site president, and very friendly.
TrufflesofGlory
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 6:14:31 PM
At 11/12/2015 6:11:36 PM, TBR wrote:

There is a new user tournament, and mentor program. Each I know nothing of. Friend this person

bsh1

he is the current site president, and very friendly.

I will definitely have to participate in one or both of those. Thank you for the information!
BlackFlags
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 7:11:17 PM
At 11/12/2015 6:14:31 PM, TrufflesofGlory wrote:
I will definitely have to participate in one or both of those. Thank you for the information!

The debaters here suck. All if them, cross my heart. Go to edeb8.com if you actually want experience in how formal debates work. They also have plenty of tools to help accommodate you, such as video and live debates, feedback, coaching, ect.
TrufflesofGlory
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 7:15:32 PM
At 11/12/2015 7:11:17 PM, BlackFlags wrote:

The debaters here suck. All if them, cross my heart. Go to edeb8.com if you actually want experience in how formal debates work. They also have plenty of tools to help accommodate you, such as video and live debates, feedback, coaching, ect.

I have never heard of edeb8.com. I'm willing to check it out because at this point I need all the help I can get, but from what I have seen there are several very exceptional debaters here. The two in the debate that TBR linked to above blew me away, and surely there are plenty of others who are of equal caliber.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 8:09:17 PM

The debaters here suck.

The saltiness is real.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 8:10:36 PM

of all the flavors you chose to be you chose salty.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 8:13:26 PM

I think there's two debaters there now. Lol. If you want to be there so bad just gather up some goddamn maturity, apologize to Lars, and be on your way.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 8:14:21 PM
At 11/12/2015 7:15:32 PM, TrufflesofGlory wrote:

I have never heard of edeb8.com. I'm willing to check it out because at this point I need all the help I can get, but from what I have seen there are several very exceptional debaters here. The two in the debate that TBR linked to above blew me away, and surely there are plenty of others who are of equal caliber.

Never go there.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TrufflesofGlory
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 8:19:12 PM
At 11/12/2015 8:14:21 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Never go there.

I've never visited that website, but would you mind explaining why?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 8:24:09 PM
At 11/12/2015 8:19:12 PM, TrufflesofGlory wrote:

Never go there.

They have pitiful activity levels, and aside from a couple people there, the people who use edeb8 over DDO tend to not be pleasurable. Also, there are a few users there that only have accounts there because of a ban here, which may give you a gauge of how many people use it - since some only do it because their poor behavior leaves them with no options.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TrufflesofGlory
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 8:26:16 PM
At 11/12/2015 8:24:09 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Never go there.

They have pitiful activity levels, and aside from a couple people there, the people who use edeb8 over DDO tend to not be pleasurable. Also, there are a few users there that only have accounts there because of a ban here, which may give you a gauge of how many people use it - since some only do it because their poor behavior leaves them with no options.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a particularly inviting place. Thanks for the information.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 8:31:41 PM
At 11/12/2015 8:10:36 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

I beat you to it :P
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2015 10:20:57 PM
At 11/12/2015 8:31:41 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/12/2015 8:10:36 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

I beat you to it :P

So i said it in a more creative way :P
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 12:12:30 AM
At 11/12/2015 8:26:16 PM, TrufflesofGlory wrote:

Never go there.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a particularly inviting place. Thanks for the information.

As someone who has spent time on both sites, I will say that this kind of "do one, but not the other" talk isn't very productive. Lars has put a lot into edeb8, and at the very least, I feel you should give it a look. It is a more versatile site with more options, and as their lead debater is also programming the site, he's very responsive to the interests of edeb8's membership. The major problem is that it's just not all that frequented, and since the DDO userbase is so massive by comparison, it offers relatively few opportunities for a diverse and fruitful debating experience. DDO has its problems as well. It's worth trying out both and seeing where you best fit in.
TrufflesofGlory
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 12:30:28 AM
At 11/13/2015 12:12:30 AM, whiteflame wrote:

Never go there.

As someone who has spent time on both sites, I will say that this kind of "do one, but not the other" talk isn't very productive. Lars has put a lot into edeb8, and at the very least, I feel you should give it a look. It is a more versatile site with more options, and as their lead debater is also programming the site, he's very responsive to the interests of edeb8's membership. The major problem is that it's just not all that frequented, and since the DDO userbase is so massive by comparison, it offers relatively few opportunities for a diverse and fruitful debating experience. DDO has its problems as well. It's worth trying out both and seeing where you best fit in.

I see where you're coming from, and I think your perspective is certainly reasonable. I'll take a look and see which works out for me, though I do worry primarily about its seeming lack of activity.
Insignifica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 1:03:14 AM

Don't listen to him lol. This is the best (online) place to get better at debate that I've seen anywhere. Edeb8 is a dead site.

I can PM you a long list of exceptionally high-quality debates I've seen on here if you would like, but just reading debates honestly isn't the best way to improve. You have to practice. Do some debates of your own. Learn through trial and error, what works and what doesn't. Whether you win or lose, voters like Whiteflame and YYW will give you excellent feedback on what you did right/wrong.
TrufflesofGlory
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 1:07:56 AM
At 11/13/2015 1:03:14 AM, Insignifica wrote:

Don't listen to him lol. This is the best (online) place to get better at debate that I've seen anywhere. Edeb8 is a dead site.

I can PM you a long list of exceptionally high-quality debates I've seen on here if you would like, but just reading debates honestly isn't the best way to improve. You have to practice. Do some debates of your own. Learn through trial and error, what works and what doesn't. Whether you win or lose, voters like Whiteflame and YYW will give you excellent feedback on what you did right/wrong.

Edeb8 does seem rather dead. It's unfortunate, because the features (team debates, groups, instant messaging, etc.) are extremely useful, and I can tell that the site creator put a lot of time and effort into its design.

That would be extremely helpful. I certainly intend to participate in several debates myself (perhaps during the next "new user" tournament, if there will be one in the near future), but right now I'm looking for something to use as a reasonable benchmark so I don't embarrass myself too much once I throw my hat into the ring. That said, I'm sure it'll happen anyway.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 4:04:55 AM

Never go there.

Lol, you're so nice, but commy at the same time. If you said this during the Red Scare you'd be gone before you can say Marx
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2015 5:04:04 AM
At 11/13/2015 4:04:55 AM, Hayd wrote:

Never go there.

Lol, you're so nice, but commy at the same time. If you said this during the Red Scare you'd be gone before you can say Marx

Doubtless.