Total Posts:4|Showing Posts:1-4
Jump to topic:

What are some good books to read

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2010 1:31:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
What are some good books to read or subjects to learn in order to become a good debater. It would be foolish to try to learn every subject, however learning some preliminary information is necessary to come up with my own arguments and to understand the topics at hand. What are some good books or subjects you recommend? Any classics or modern day books? I believe the big four are: economics, psychology, political science and philosophy. Here's my list so far.

the Art of War by Sun Tzu: might serve me well for any military debates.

The Social Contract, Or Principles of Political Right by Jean-Jacques Rousseau: For understanding of polititcal philosophy

The Prince by Machiavelli: To better comprehend what it means to be a 'good leader'
Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes: Understanding of human nature and society
Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx: Understanding of communism
On walth of nations by Adam Smith: To better understand economics
Open borders debate:
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2010 1:38:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Reading these types of books probably won't improve your debating skills all that much. If you want to learn about a specific issue for a certain debate, read up on that issue, but for debating in general, reading really good debates would be better.

Also, reading Hobbes won't teach you much about human nature, and there are much better works on economics than the Wealth of Nations.
Should we subsidize education?

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.