Why ask to resolve what is resolved?

DB8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2015 4:28:11 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Debating pros be like:

"resolved: herpaderp topic" Erm... if it's already resolved why are you debating it?

Methinks that something went wrong in the brain of whoever designed such debate opening structure and such a person got to their position not through brainpower but through sex appeal and favors.
I tried to write my signature on the screen but my pen ran out of ink.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2015 11:47:05 PM
At 11/21/2015 4:28:11 AM, DB8 wrote:
Debating pros be like:

"resolved: herpaderp topic" Erm... if it's already resolved why are you debating it?

Methinks that something went wrong in the brain of whoever designed such debate opening structure and such a person got to their position not through brainpower but through sex appeal and favors.

resolved qua resolute, not solved
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Balacafa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 10:48:38 PM
Debating pros be like:

Resolved is just the traditional way of saying: 'the title of this debate is ...'
DB8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 11:24:38 PM
At 11/22/2015 10:48:38 PM, Balacafa wrote:
Debating pros be like:

Resolved is just the traditional way of saying: 'the title of this debate is ...'

Rape was the traditional way of post-marital sex what is your point?
Balacafa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 11:37:54 PM
At 11/22/2015 11:24:38 PM, DB8 wrote:
Debating pros be like:

*sigh* Alright this is going to be a long day ...

Rape and debate are very different to one another. Rape definitions have altered to suit modern society

If you look up resolved in debate context you will find that the meaning never had a need to alter and so it never has.
DB8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 11:39:43 PM
At 11/22/2015 11:37:54 PM, Balacafa wrote:
Debating pros be like:

Rape and debate are very different to one another. Rape definitions have altered to suit modern society

If you look up resolved in debate context you will find that the meaning never had a need to alter and so it never has.

You are very good at avoiding the original question when defending your irrelevant answer.
Balacafa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2015 11:43:37 PM
At 11/22/2015 11:39:43 PM, DB8 wrote:
At 11/22/2015 11:37:54 PM, Balacafa wrote:
Debating pros be like:

You are very good at avoiding the original question when defending your irrelevant answer.

The question is why we put resolved next to the debate titles.

The answer is because that means that it is the title of the debate. It doesnt mean resolved in the way that you are thinking. The word has many meanings depending on its context.

Happy?
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 12:02:46 AM
Debating pros be like:

The "To Be" that would normally appear before "Resolved:" is generally omitted due to character limits.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
DB8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2015 5:46:17 AM
At 11/23/2015 12:02:46 AM, mrsatan wrote:
Debating pros be like:

The "To Be" that would normally appear before "Resolved:" is generally omitted due to character limits.

10k is more than enough to put that in.
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 1:53:17 AM
At 11/23/2015 5:46:17 AM, DB8 wrote:
At 11/23/2015 12:02:46 AM, mrsatan wrote:
Debating pros be like:

10k is more than enough to put that in.

The title has a separate, smaller, character limit. If you dislike it, then don't exclude it when you make a debate.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.