internet ads

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 12:00:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/30/2010 11:50:40 AM, innomen wrote:
Am i the only one getting these pop up ads for beauty products?

I get them too, I announced it about an hour ago in the spam thread.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 12:24:11 PM
At 9/30/2010 12:11:21 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Targeting gays and women apparently. At least it knows its market.

Ha ha. I just was telling someone that they should be pushing video games, that would sell.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 1:39:41 PM
Bad idea. Totally takes away from the aesthetics and professionalism of the site. This is something you expect to see when you design a website on Geocities or some other free web design tool; not DDO. But meh. I think most of us are smart enough to know that all you have to do is dl the ad-blockers on Firefox to make these things obsolete (thus pointless).
President of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 1:55:23 PM
At 9/30/2010 1:39:41 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Bad idea. Totally takes away from the aesthetics and professionalism of the site. This is something you expect to see when you design a website on Geocities or some other free web design tool; not DDO. But meh. I think most of us are smart enough to know that all you have to do is dl the ad-blockers on Firefox to make these things obsolete (thus pointless).

Not all of us THANK YOU.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 2:02:25 PM
Kind of improper to block the ads. If the site needs them to keep running, it is not proper that its users block them. Unless the site owners have a different type of contract with the ad makers, though.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 2:05:32 PM
At 9/30/2010 2:02:25 PM, Mirza wrote:
Kind of improper to block the ads. If the site needs them to keep running, it is not proper that its users block them. Unless the site owners have a different type of contract with the ad makers, though.

It's my computer (well not really, but you know what i mean). I will control as much as i can that comes through the computer, and there is nothing in our terms and conditions of using this site that states we are not to block ads.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 2:07:37 PM
At 9/30/2010 2:05:32 PM, innomen wrote:
It's my computer (well not really, but you know what i mean). I will control as much as i can that comes through the computer, and there is nothing in our terms and conditions of using this site that states we are not to block ads.
No, it is not an obligation, but it does not make it proper to block them. It is improper to do it if you want to use the site and block some easily-avoided ads, which the site may need.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 2:10:09 PM
At 9/30/2010 2:07:37 PM, Mirza wrote:
No, it is not an obligation, but it does not make it proper to block them. It is improper to do it if you want to use the site and block some easily-avoided ads, which the site may need.

I'm actually surprised that you would take this stance. I understand the overall ethics involved, but what if you deemed some of the ads as improper? What if there were children that were clicking on things they shouldn't? If you were their parent you wouldn't implement some blocks?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 2:12:10 PM
At 9/30/2010 2:10:09 PM, innomen wrote:

I'm actually surprised that you would take this stance. I understand the overall ethics involved, but what if you deemed some of the ads as improper? What if there were children that were clicking on things they shouldn't? If you were their parent you wouldn't implement some blocks?
But that depends on content. We are talking about ads by definition, not their content. I think the content should be proper for users if the owners want the users to avoid blocking them. I speak of proper things for both sites. Since this is a debate site it should rather be filled with educational ads.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 2:16:42 PM
At 9/30/2010 2:12:10 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 9/30/2010 2:10:09 PM, innomen wrote:

But that depends on content. We are talking about ads by definition, not their content. I think the content should be proper for users if the owners want the users to avoid blocking them. I speak of proper things for both sites. Since this is a debate site it should rather be filled with educational ads.

Well, you don't always get to choose what comes up as an ad, and we don't know which direction the content will go. We also don't always have the opportunity to block, and in this case we do. I'm unsure if the ads being blocked have an effect on the income.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 2:20:08 PM
At 9/30/2010 2:16:42 PM, innomen wrote:
Well, you don't always get to choose what comes up as an ad, and we don't know which direction the content will go. We also don't always have the opportunity to block, and in this case we do. I'm unsure if the ads being blocked have an effect on the income.
We need equal choices. If Phil decides to put ads and expects everyone to look at them, then he needs to accept that not everyone wants to look at improper context. It is therefore not proper for them to actually let the ads be there. So, if he wants people to avoid blocking ads for the sake of proper choice, then he should let the ads be friendly for all.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 2:27:35 PM
At 9/30/2010 2:20:08 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 9/30/2010 2:16:42 PM, innomen wrote:
We need equal choices. If Phil decides to put ads and expects everyone to look at them, then he needs to accept that not everyone wants to look at improper context. It is therefore not proper for them to actually let the ads be there. So, if he wants people to avoid blocking ads for the sake of proper choice, then he should let the ads be friendly for all.

He also should know that it's my computer (again, not really) and i will take as much control of what comes in and out as i please.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 2:32:13 PM
At 9/30/2010 2:27:35 PM, innomen wrote:
He also should know that it's my computer (again, not really) and i will take as much control of what comes in and out as i please.
He will not make it obligatory to show ads, I hope, but I am still talking about proper decisions, not obligations.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 2:32:16 PM

So if I go and take a p*ss during the movie previews and come back when the movie starts because I deem that more enjoyable and beneficial, I'm improper?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2010 2:43:31 PM
At 9/30/2010 2:32:16 PM, SportsGuru wrote:
So if I go and take a p*ss during the movie previews and come back when the movie starts because I deem that more enjoyable and beneficial, I'm improper?
No. I argued for two sides, not one.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 2:14:26 AM
These adds are making me feel dirty. :(
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 7:17:32 AM
At 10/1/2010 2:14:26 AM, tvellalott wrote:
These adds are making me feel dirty. :(

What? How?

Brian, yeah that pissed me off too.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
slaad
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2010 7:35:43 AM
I block most ads mainly for security purposes. Most ads need javascript in order to function, and I'm not willing to let just anyone run scripts. And allowing flash content to load just slows things down, so that's out as well.

Keep in mind as well that some ads pay by the number of page impressions (views, hits). Ad blockers may or may not interfere with this.