Jump to topic:

Why?

feelthebernie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 5:40:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I just want to understand or know why there is such a hierarchy on the forums. Why do tournaments have to be approved and stuff? Why can't people just debate, why all the unnecessary pretend government?
Is there a good reason? I dont mean to be a jerk or stupid, I just don't understand why somebody can't start a tournament without permission. Seems pointless and in my opinion the only function is to make somebody feel a false sense of power.
Anyway, I could be wrong, there could be a good reason, I may be an idiot, but can somebody just explain?
Lexus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 5:42:22 AM
At 11/27/2015 5:40:28 AM, feelthebernie wrote:
I just want to understand or know why there is such a hierarchy on the forums. Why do tournaments have to be approved and stuff? Why can't people just debate, why all the unnecessary pretend government?
Is there a good reason? I dont mean to be a jerk or stupid, I just don't understand why somebody can't start a tournament without permission. Seems pointless and in my opinion the only function is to make somebody feel a false sense of power.
Anyway, I could be wrong, there could be a good reason, I may be an idiot, but can somebody just explain?

The president needs to feel as though there is power in a position void of any.
feelthebernie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 5:43:28 AM
At 11/27/2015 5:42:22 AM, Lexus wrote:

The president needs to feel as though there is power in a position void of any.
Ok so im not the only one who disagrees with this system, thats good
feelthebernie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 5:48:14 AM
And I know im gonna receive a lot of crap for posting this, but I just want to be able to play in a tournament that somebody in the community put together, I dont get why that has to be difficult.
This system is almost as stupid and ineffective as real governemt
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 5:54:21 AM
Not really.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 6:09:06 AM

Why do tournaments have to be approved and stuff?

When people make multiple tournaments at the same time, it usually results in the same people/users signing up to be in multiple tournaments at the same time. That becomes a problem because when people in those tournaments feel burned out from debating so much, they'll just drop out of the tournaments in the later rounds, resulting in tournaments ending prematurely just cause theres so many going on at the same time people get tired of them and end up forfeiting.

*I think
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 6:35:39 AM

The idea supported by the previous and current administrations was to increase the quality of tournaments by making them take place at regular intervals, occur less frequently and be better moderated.

In the former status quo, member tournaments would happen pretty regularly, and in most cases would fizzle out and be abandoned by whomever started them. This had the effect of making site tournaments feel low quality, and also reduced the available member pool for tournaments generally. By restricting the number of tournaments, this increases the quality of the tournaments, and forces members that want to participate in a tournament, or by chance have the opportunity to face a particular debater, to enter these rarer but far higher quality tournaments.

So ultimately the idea is to make tournaments mean more, and they certainly do. Regular tournaments take place with more interest and with higher quality, and beginner tournaments happen regularly every month for those interested. In both cases these are well moderated and high quality tournaments.

The downside is of course that we have fewer tournaments overall, and a restriction on member run tournaments (though members can sign up to mod the tournaments). While I (and the previous two administrations) recognize the downsize in this, it's considered a reasonable compromise to increase the overall value of tournaments generally. I (and I'm sure the current and previous admins) certainly recognize that's not ideal, but it's what is considered necessary to move to a system where tournaments on the site are recognized as something that has value, and away from what used to occur where the average tournament was something that likely wasn't going to finish, and would thin out the available pool of members available to participate in tournaments generally.

That's the idea behind it and something I happen to agree with, though I have already discussed this issue at length several times and that's the extent I'm going to engage it at the moment. The current membership president, Bsh1, I am sure will be more than happy to discuss the issue further with you and clarify any concerns you may have.
Debate.org Moderator
feelthebernie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 1:40:04 PM
At 11/27/2015 6:35:39 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

The idea supported by the previous and current administrations was to increase the quality of tournaments by making them take place at regular intervals, occur less frequently and be better moderated.

In the former status quo, member tournaments would happen pretty regularly, and in most cases would fizzle out and be abandoned by whomever started them. This had the effect of making site tournaments feel low quality, and also reduced the available member pool for tournaments generally. By restricting the number of tournaments, this increases the quality of the tournaments, and forces members that want to participate in a tournament, or by chance have the opportunity to face a particular debater, to enter these rarer but far higher quality tournaments.

So ultimately the idea is to make tournaments mean more, and they certainly do. Regular tournaments take place with more interest and with higher quality, and beginner tournaments happen regularly every month for those interested. In both cases these are well moderated and high quality tournaments.

The downside is of course that we have fewer tournaments overall, and a restriction on member run tournaments (though members can sign up to mod the tournaments). While I (and the previous two administrations) recognize the downsize in this, it's considered a reasonable compromise to increase the overall value of tournaments generally. I (and I'm sure the current and previous admins) certainly recognize that's not ideal, but it's what is considered necessary to move to a system where tournaments on the site are recognized as something that has value, and away from what used to occur where the average tournament was something that likely wasn't going to finish, and would thin out the available pool of members available to participate in tournaments generally.

That's the idea behind it and something I happen to agree with, though I have already discussed this issue at length several times and that's the extent I'm going to engage it at the moment. The current membership president, Bsh1, I am sure will be more than happy to discuss the issue further with you and clarify any concerns you may have.

Thank you for the explanation.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 9:02:42 PM
11,002 FREEDO points to Airmax for his superb answer and his continuous commitment!

5,555 FREEDO points to feelthebernie for asking the question!

10,000 FREEDO points to everyone with socks on!

What a good thread.

What a good day, my friends.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 9:15:51 PM

Lol

I like how you volunteered bsh like that.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2015 11:05:16 PM

Typical left wing liberal interfering the with the God ordained free market principles. Let freedom reign !!!
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 12:32:55 AM
At 11/27/2015 9:02:42 PM, FREEDO wrote:
11,002 FREEDO points to Airmax for his superb answer and his continuous commitment!

What a good thread.

That means I have 10,001 FREEDO points! I feel like I've accomplished something with my life now!
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 7:48:07 AM
At 11/27/2015 9:02:42 PM, FREEDO wrote:

What a good thread.

Hey! Great to see you around. Thanks for the Freedo points :)
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2015 7:54:57 AM
At 11/27/2015 9:15:51 PM, Hayd wrote:

Lol

I like how you volunteered bsh like that.

haha well it wasn't my intention to make it seem like I was just turfing something on him. Bsh is the president, and I often refer members to him and step aside so he can follow up with his personal view on things like this. I think I was pretty thorough, and while I would answer further questions and engage the topic if pressed, I really think Bsh can take it from here if need be.
Debate.org Moderator