Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Reincarnation Debate

KingofEverything
Posts: 590
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 5:30:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am part of the minority of this site that believes in reincarnation. Would anyone be interested in debating this with me? This is one of my most passionate beliefs (this doesn't mean I will get mad lol) so I would be interested in arguing for it.
You're sweet. Thank you :) <3 -ESocial

I am sorry Debate.org -KingofEverything

You guys can stop the circlejerk started around the election. It stopped being funny faster than Mirza's anti-American rants. -Jonbonbon

It's like when the kid who makes an ugly sand castle on the beach goes and tries to kick down someone else's sand castle because he couldn't make one as good as that. -YYW
airmax1227
Posts: 13,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 5:40:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/29/2015 5:30:05 AM, KingofEverything wrote:
I am part of the minority of this site that believes in reincarnation. Would anyone be interested in debating this with me? This is one of my most passionate beliefs (this doesn't mean I will get mad lol) so I would be interested in arguing for it.

I'm sure it would be an interesting debate, but as Pro, it seems you would have a hard time winning given the lack of scientific evidence behind it. Any decent Con should be able to rebut the types of arguments I'd imagine you'd have to make to the extent that it would be very difficult for you to carry your BOP.

Nonetheless, I'd be interested in reading such a debate and perhaps you could prove me wrong about the above, so I hope you find an opponent. Good luck in the debate.
Debate.org Moderator
KingofEverything
Posts: 590
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 5:42:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/29/2015 5:40:53 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/29/2015 5:30:05 AM, KingofEverything wrote:
I am part of the minority of this site that believes in reincarnation. Would anyone be interested in debating this with me? This is one of my most passionate beliefs (this doesn't mean I will get mad lol) so I would be interested in arguing for it.

I'm sure it would be an interesting debate, but as Pro, it seems you would have a hard time winning given the lack of scientific evidence behind it. Any decent Con should be able to rebut the types of arguments I'd imagine you'd have to make to the extent that it would be very difficult for you to carry your BOP.

Nonetheless, I'd be interested in reading such a debate and perhaps you could prove me wrong about the above, so I hope you find an opponent. Good luck in the debate.

I will try my best.
You're sweet. Thank you :) <3 -ESocial

I am sorry Debate.org -KingofEverything

You guys can stop the circlejerk started around the election. It stopped being funny faster than Mirza's anti-American rants. -Jonbonbon

It's like when the kid who makes an ugly sand castle on the beach goes and tries to kick down someone else's sand castle because he couldn't make one as good as that. -YYW
KingofEverything
Posts: 590
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 5:43:56 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/29/2015 5:40:53 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/29/2015 5:30:05 AM, KingofEverything wrote:
I am part of the minority of this site that believes in reincarnation. Would anyone be interested in debating this with me? This is one of my most passionate beliefs (this doesn't mean I will get mad lol) so I would be interested in arguing for it.

I'm sure it would be an interesting debate, but as Pro, it seems you would have a hard time winning given the lack of scientific evidence behind it. Any decent Con should be able to rebut the types of arguments I'd imagine you'd have to make to the extent that it would be very difficult for you to carry your BOP.

Nonetheless, I'd be interested in reading such a debate and perhaps you could prove me wrong about the above, so I hope you find an opponent. Good luck in the debate.

I think I was a dog by the way. Keep your axolotl citizens out of the radar. They were my favorite snack.
You're sweet. Thank you :) <3 -ESocial

I am sorry Debate.org -KingofEverything

You guys can stop the circlejerk started around the election. It stopped being funny faster than Mirza's anti-American rants. -Jonbonbon

It's like when the kid who makes an ugly sand castle on the beach goes and tries to kick down someone else's sand castle because he couldn't make one as good as that. -YYW
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 7:56:49 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/29/2015 5:40:53 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/29/2015 5:30:05 AM, KingofEverything wrote:
I am part of the minority of this site that believes in reincarnation. Would anyone be interested in debating this with me? This is one of my most passionate beliefs (this doesn't mean I will get mad lol) so I would be interested in arguing for it.

I'm sure it would be an interesting debate, but as Pro, it seems you would have a hard time winning given the lack of scientific evidence behind it. Any decent Con should be able to rebut the types of arguments I'd imagine you'd have to make to the extent that it would be very difficult for you to carry your BOP.

Nonetheless, I'd be interested in reading such a debate and perhaps you could prove me wrong about the above, so I hope you find an opponent. Good luck in the debate.

With all due respect Airmax, I believe it is the contrary, and that Re-incarnation has a lot of anecdotal evidence to back it up, Obviously there is no scientific empirical mechanism to show how re-incarnation would work, but there are a lot of very strange but astute cases where re-incarnation can be shown as the most likely scenario, I tried to show this in my debate with Thett3, who got all his votes from his friends on day 10, regardless of being able to show a better alternative for the data, instead he relied on the old cop out, there is no scientific explanation.

Bah humbug, I don't need to know how someone got into a room to know that they are in the room. :)
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 8:05:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/29/2015 5:40:53 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/29/2015 5:30:05 AM, KingofEverything wrote:
I am part of the minority of this site that believes in reincarnation. Would anyone be interested in debating this with me? This is one of my most passionate beliefs (this doesn't mean I will get mad lol) so I would be interested in arguing for it.

I'm sure it would be an interesting debate, but as Pro, it seems you would have a hard time winning given the lack of scientific evidence behind it. Any decent Con should be able to rebut the types of arguments I'd imagine you'd have to make to the extent that it would be very difficult for you to carry your BOP.

Nonetheless, I'd be interested in reading such a debate and perhaps you could prove me wrong about the above, so I hope you find an opponent. Good luck in the debate.

Plus with all due respect to Thett3, he debated extremely well, only he could not offer a better alternative for the data in question, therefore my resolution that it re-incarnation was more likely than not, was sound.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 8:13:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/29/2015 7:56:49 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 11/29/2015 5:40:53 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/29/2015 5:30:05 AM, KingofEverything wrote:
I am part of the minority of this site that believes in reincarnation. Would anyone be interested in debating this with me? This is one of my most passionate beliefs (this doesn't mean I will get mad lol) so I would be interested in arguing for it.

I'm sure it would be an interesting debate, but as Pro, it seems you would have a hard time winning given the lack of scientific evidence behind it. Any decent Con should be able to rebut the types of arguments I'd imagine you'd have to make to the extent that it would be very difficult for you to carry your BOP.

Nonetheless, I'd be interested in reading such a debate and perhaps you could prove me wrong about the above, so I hope you find an opponent. Good luck in the debate.

With all due respect Airmax, I believe it is the contrary,

The contrary of what I said would be that there is an abundance of scientific evidence behind it, thus the Pro side should be easy enough... Are you saying that there is an abundance of scientific evidence supporting reincarnation?

Re-incarnation has a lot of anecdotal evidence to back it up,

I'll grant that this may be true, but I pointed to a lack of enough scientific evidence to make taking Pro on such a debate difficult and I still believe that is the case.

Obviously there is no scientific empirical mechanism to show how re-incarnation would work, but there are a lot of very strange but astute cases where re-incarnation can be shown as the most likely scenario

Still, the BOP here is very difficult on the Pro side given that any Con should be able to handle those types of arguments with reasonable rebuttals. I'm not addressing any truth to your statement here, just simply that this should favor the Con side.

I tried to show this in my debate with Thett3, who got all his votes from his friends on day 10, regardless of being able to show a better alternative for the data, instead he relied on the old cop out, there is no scientific explanation.

"No scientific explanation" is, at least in this context, a reasonable argument in terms of preventing the Pro side from carrying their BOP. I'm not addressing the probability of reincarnation or the validity of any arguments in regards to it, my statement was simply that the Con side has the advantage due to a lack of much scientific evidence available to the Pro side.

Bah humbug, I don't need to know how someone got into a room to know that they are in the room. :)

Fair enough, though that argument doesn't necessarily carry the BOP for the Pro side of this debate.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Posts: 13,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 8:14:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/29/2015 8:05:08 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 11/29/2015 5:40:53 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/29/2015 5:30:05 AM, KingofEverything wrote:
I am part of the minority of this site that believes in reincarnation. Would anyone be interested in debating this with me? This is one of my most passionate beliefs (this doesn't mean I will get mad lol) so I would be interested in arguing for it.

I'm sure it would be an interesting debate, but as Pro, it seems you would have a hard time winning given the lack of scientific evidence behind it. Any decent Con should be able to rebut the types of arguments I'd imagine you'd have to make to the extent that it would be very difficult for you to carry your BOP.

Nonetheless, I'd be interested in reading such a debate and perhaps you could prove me wrong about the above, so I hope you find an opponent. Good luck in the debate.

Plus with all due respect to Thett3, he debated extremely well, only he could not offer a better alternative for the data in question, therefore my resolution that it re-incarnation was more likely than not, was sound.

I'll have to check out that debate, I'm sure it was a good one.
Debate.org Moderator
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 8:30:18 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 11/29/2015 8:13:51 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/29/2015 7:56:49 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 11/29/2015 5:40:53 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/29/2015 5:30:05 AM, KingofEverything wrote:
I am part of the minority of this site that believes in reincarnation. Would anyone be interested in debating this with me? This is one of my most passionate beliefs (this doesn't mean I will get mad lol) so I would be interested in arguing for it.

I'm sure it would be an interesting debate, but as Pro, it seems you would have a hard time winning given the lack of scientific evidence behind it. Any decent Con should be able to rebut the types of arguments I'd imagine you'd have to make to the extent that it would be very difficult for you to carry your BOP.

Nonetheless, I'd be interested in reading such a debate and perhaps you could prove me wrong about the above, so I hope you find an opponent. Good luck in the debate.

With all due respect Airmax, I believe it is the contrary,

The contrary of what I said would be that there is an abundance of scientific evidence behind it, thus the Pro side should be easy enough... Are you saying that there is an abundance of scientific evidence supporting reincarnation?

Re-incarnation has a lot of anecdotal evidence to back it up,

I'll grant that this may be true, but I pointed to a lack of enough scientific evidence to make taking Pro on such a debate difficult and I still believe that is the case.

Obviously there is no scientific empirical mechanism to show how re-incarnation would work, but there are a lot of very strange but astute cases where re-incarnation can be shown as the most likely scenario

Still, the BOP here is very difficult on the Pro side given that any Con should be able to handle those types of arguments with reasonable rebuttals. I'm not addressing any truth to your statement here, just simply that this should favor the Con side.

I tried to show this in my debate with Thett3, who got all his votes from his friends on day 10, regardless of being able to show a better alternative for the data, instead he relied on the old cop out, there is no scientific explanation.

"No scientific explanation" is, at least in this context, a reasonable argument in terms of preventing the Pro side from carrying their BOP. I'm not addressing the probability of reincarnation or the validity of any arguments in regards to it, my statement was simply that the Con side has the advantage due to a lack of much scientific evidence available to the Pro side.

Bah humbug, I don't need to know how someone got into a room to know that they are in the room. :)

Fair enough, though that argument doesn't necessarily carry the BOP for the Pro side of this debate.

Ok, Depending on the resolution I guess you have a point, if you aim to show re-incarnation as an absolute fact, then I guess you will have a huge task on your hands, but if you argue that it is more likely than not given the data, then I find it hard to find a better, more reasonable answer.

Lets be clear, there is now way to show how a spirit soul can transmigrate from one body to another using the scientific method, But as I said, I don't need to know how you got into a room to know that you are in it.

Meaning that, I don't know how to show scientifically how one soul can transmigrate from one body to another to know that it does. There are so many cases that show re-incarnation as very likely, like children able to remember past lives with great detail and accuracy, and upon checking turn out to be accurate, and re-incarnation is the most likely answer. there are birth marks that people are born with that correlate with how a previous person died, along with the memories of that persons life and death. There is also the case that you re-incarnate in this very life, and the body you had as a child, no longer exist, because all the atoms that made up your baby body, have all been completely replace by new atoms, therefore you a have a different body, even in this life.

I but take on board your point, that as Pro, it is a huge task, especially if your are asking for a scientific mechanism to verify how it works, but if you argue it is the best explanation for the data, then I don't think the task is as huge. Nevertheless, it could be a difficult burden, depending on how the debate goes,
fromantle
Posts: 274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 11:14:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you want a scientific slant then look at the theories of Stuart Hamerof who got together with Professor Penrose. The professor believes conciousness is quatum.by nature and that it can exist seperately from a physical body.These therories are not generally accepted by the scientific community. As a result of this Mr Hamerof believes no computer will ever become conscious. The general concept is that once a computer becomds big enough. consciousness will arise.