Jump to topic:

Debate.org Debate Champions League

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 8:47:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
MC9 suggested an idea about a debate league and so I have given some thought to how this could work and the following is my initial thinking, though I imagine as I consider this further and people offer feedback, things will be changed and further details will be ironed out.

Please offer your thoughts on the initial plans, any feedback you may have to improve upon it, and if you would have any interest in participating in such a thing.

_________

Details for the Debate.org Debate Champions League (working title) is as follows:

The Debate Champions League will be made up of as many "teams" sign up to take part in the DCL every season.

There are no limits as to how many "teams" may sign up to join the DCL each season.

Teams are made up of as few as one member to as many members as one would like to include on their team. While members can join the DCL on their own (and be a "team" of only them individually), members are strongly encouraged to have other members join with them so that others on their team can do debates throughout the season in case scheduling conflicts or other issues come up for them, thus allowing their teammate(s) to be responsible for the debate while they are unable to. For teams with multiple members, each team is responsible for determining which account will be used for each debate throughout the schedule. This may be determined at any point by the team's members.

Teams will debate an eight debate schedule for the DCL season, which will be generated by the league commissioner based on the number of participants. If a large number of teams necessitate it, the league will be broken up into conferences, balanced by averaging out ELO stats for each team, and schedules will be based on team schedules being prioritized by conference.

Debates during the season will be 3 rounds, NO acceptance round, 72 hour posting times, one week voting period. Participants in the DCL may NOT vote on DCL season debates. A tied debate will be considered a tie in the league standings.

Teams have 5 days to start their debate from the times that will be designated through the season, generally as each portion of the schedule is completed, though this will vary as some teams complete debates earlier than others and have their next opponent also able to start the next portion of their schedule while some other teams may not. Teams that do not start their debate within 5 days will have a randomly selected topic chosen for them (Pro/Con will be chosen at random as well). If the teams do not start their debate within 2 days of that, both teams will be given a forfeit which will count as a loss for both. Extenuating circumstances must be brought to the attention of the league commissioner who will determine a best course of action.

At the conclusion of the regular season, a playoff schedule will be determined by seeding the teams based on record. The number of playoff teams will be determined by the number of participants. If an uneven number of teams exist in the league playoffs as a whole, or in the events of conference based playoffs, bye weeks will be assigned to the teams with the best records. Tie breakers for both making the playoffs and seeding will be determined in order as follows: Head to Head, Best record within the conference (if applicable), Best record against common opponents, Strength of schedule (to be based on average ELO per team played, based on ELO score at the time the tie breaker may be used), Coin toss.

Playoff debates will be 4 rounds, with the rules otherwise the same as regular season debates. At the conclusion of the playoffs, a DCL Championship debate will conclude the DCL season. The winning team (and the members making up this team) will be honored in a new Debate.org Debate Champions League sticky to be added to the misc forums.

I think the above is pretty thorough in describing the basic idea and rules behind the DCL, but I will now go step by step in a more visual manner to describe how this will work.

1) About a month before the start of the season, sign ups will be posted for anyone that would like to participate. Returning teams will be contacted so that they are aware of the upcoming season and to allow them to confirm their continuing participation.

2) Once sign-ups are completed, the league structure and schedule will be determined.

3) DCL example league:

Team Name (Members in team)

1. ddOyeah (Zlav, vsf1)
2. Name Pending (heisachair, lightirrationalism)
3. Debatorizers (Rectangle.256H, CarbonPlane, FelinePhilospopher)
4. Nameless (BobsJones)
5. Team 4 (UsherAlligator)
6. Dat Team Yo (GroundMinimum, GSteveSquared)
7. JustWin (WWG, Greenfire)
8. El Team (Steve)

In the above league structure, which would just be a single league conference, each team plays once, plus each team plays their opening opponent a second time in the final debate of the schedule (since there are 8 debates and only 7 teams a team can play).

After what would likely be a season lasting about 9-10 months, a final standings would be realized:

4) Final Standings:

1. ddOyeah = 7-1
2. Debatorizers = 6-2
3. JustWin = 6-2
4. Dat Team Yo = 4-4
5. El Team = 4-4
6. Team 4 = 2-6
7. Name Pending = 2-6
8. Dat Team Yo = 1-7

In the above scenario, ddoOyeah, Debatorizers, and JustWin would make the playoffs outright by virtue of having the best records. Dat Team Yo would make the playoffs based on the tie breaker, having beat El Team in their only matchup during the regular season.

*Debate conceding/Forfeits: A team that has been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs may not concede or forfeit their remaining debates. Any team that forfeits a yet to be determine number of debates in a DCL season will have their ability to participate in future seasons restricted - further details of dealing with this still need to be considered.

5) Playoff seeding:

1] ddOyeah versus 4] Dat Team Yo

2] Debatorizers versus 3] JustWin

The above seeds are determined using basic seeding criteria based on regular season record. If a seeding tie happens, the same tie breaking procedures used for determining playoff teams will be used to determine seeding.

Playoff debate ties will require another debate/other options, the details/rules of which are yet to be determined.

6) Championship

1] ddOyeah versus 3] JustWin

The DCL Championship will be held at the end of the playoffs. Debate rules will be based on the same rules that apply for the rest of the playoffs.

7) The Winner

DDoyeah defeats JustWin

The DCL championship team (in this case, DD0Yeah, and its members Zlav and vsf1) will be honored in a new sticky thread in the misc section.

So that's about as thorough as I can be in describing the intent and rules of this project as I have considered them so far.

Please let me know if you have any questions, suggestions or feedback. If you believe I have overlooked any important aspects of this, please let me know in this thread.

Most importantly, please post if you would be interested in eventually participating in such a thing. This type of project would take a sizable time commitment from myself and others to be sure that it functions in the best way for all involved, and knowing that there are a decent number of members interested in committing to such a thing (as it would be a lengthy commitment to regularly debate in this manner) would go a long way in showing me that such a thing should come to fruition.

I do believe this idea has a lot of merit, and if done correctly, would be a very cool thing to become a major feature of the site. So let me know your thoughts.
Debate.org Moderator
EverlastingMoment
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 9:25:00 AM
Would there be any requirement to players joining these teams? Because er, there would be a huge problem if trolls decided to come in to what is a long term tournament.
It is an interesting idea though, meow. But how exactly will it be regulated?
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 1:13:55 PM
At 11/29/2015 8:47:02 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
MC9 suggested an idea about a debate league and so I have given some thought to how this could work and the following is my initial thinking, though I imagine as I consider this further and people offer feedback, things will be changed and further details will be ironed out.

Please offer your thoughts on the initial plans, any feedback you may have to improve upon it, and if you would have any interest in participating in such a thing.

_________

Details for the Debate.org Debate Champions League (working title) is as follows:

The Debate Champions League will be made up of as many "teams" sign up to take part in the DCL every season.

There are no limits as to how many "teams" may sign up to join the DCL each season.

Teams are made up of as few as one member to as many members as one would like to include on their team. While members can join the DCL on their own (and be a "team" of only them individually), members are strongly encouraged to have other members join with them so that others on their team can do debates throughout the season in case scheduling conflicts or other issues come up for them, thus allowing their teammate(s) to be responsible for the debate while they are unable to. For teams with multiple members, each team is responsible for determining which account will be used for each debate throughout the schedule. This may be determined at any point by the team's members.

Teams will debate an eight debate schedule for the DCL season, which will be generated by the league commissioner based on the number of participants. If a large number of teams necessitate it, the league will be broken up into conferences, balanced by averaging out ELO stats for each team, and schedules will be based on team schedules being prioritized by conference.

Debates during the season will be 3 rounds, NO acceptance round, 72 hour posting times, one week voting period. Participants in the DCL may NOT vote on DCL season debates. A tied debate will be considered a tie in the league standings.

Teams have 5 days to start their debate from the times that will be designated through the season, generally as each portion of the schedule is completed, though this will vary as some teams complete debates earlier than others and have their next opponent also able to start the next portion of their schedule while some other teams may not. Teams that do not start their debate within 5 days will have a randomly selected topic chosen for them (Pro/Con will be chosen at random as well). If the teams do not start their debate within 2 days of that, both teams will be given a forfeit which will count as a loss for both. Extenuating circumstances must be brought to the attention of the league commissioner who will determine a best course of action.

At the conclusion of the regular season, a playoff schedule will be determined by seeding the teams based on record. The number of playoff teams will be determined by the number of participants. If an uneven number of teams exist in the league playoffs as a whole, or in the events of conference based playoffs, bye weeks will be assigned to the teams with the best records. Tie breakers for both making the playoffs and seeding will be determined in order as follows: Head to Head, Best record within the conference (if applicable), Best record against common opponents, Strength of schedule (to be based on average ELO per team played, based on ELO score at the time the tie breaker may be used), Coin toss.

Playoff debates will be 4 rounds, with the rules otherwise the same as regular season debates. At the conclusion of the playoffs, a DCL Championship debate will conclude the DCL season. The winning team (and the members making up this team) will be honored in a new Debate.org Debate Champions League sticky to be added to the misc forums.

I think the above is pretty thorough in describing the basic idea and rules behind the DCL, but I will now go step by step in a more visual manner to describe how this will work.

1) About a month before the start of the season, sign ups will be posted for anyone that would like to participate. Returning teams will be contacted so that they are aware of the upcoming season and to allow them to confirm their continuing participation.

2) Once sign-ups are completed, the league structure and schedule will be determined.

3) DCL example league:

1. ddOyeah (Zlav, vsf1)
4. Nameless (BobsJones)
8. El Team (Steve)

In the above league structure, which would just be a single league conference, each team plays once, plus each team plays their opening opponent a second time in the final debate of the schedule (since there are 8 debates and only 7 teams a team can play).

After what would likely be a season lasting about 9-10 months, a final standings would be realized:

4) Final Standings:

1. ddOyeah = 7-1
2. Debatorizers = 6-2
3. JustWin = 6-2
4. Dat Team Yo = 4-4
5. El Team = 4-4
6. Team 4 = 2-6
7. Name Pending = 2-6
8. Dat Team Yo = 1-7

In the above scenario, ddoOyeah, Debatorizers, and JustWin would make the playoffs outright by virtue of having the best records. Dat Team Yo would make the playoffs based on the tie breaker, having beat El Team in their only matchup during the regular season.

*Debate conceding/Forfeits: A team that has been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs may not concede or forfeit their remaining debates. Any team that forfeits a yet to be determine number of debates in a DCL season will have their ability to participate in future seasons restricted - further details of dealing with this still need to be considered.

5) Playoff seeding:

The above seeds are determined using basic seeding criteria based on regular season record. If a seeding tie happens, the same tie breaking procedures used for determining playoff teams will be used to determine seeding.

Playoff debate ties will require another debate/other options, the details/rules of which are yet to be determined.

6) Championship

The DCL Championship will be held at the end of the playoffs. Debate rules will be based on the same rules that apply for the rest of the playoffs.

7) The Winner

DDoyeah defeats JustWin

The DCL championship team (in this case, DD0Yeah, and its members Zlav and vsf1) will be honored in a new sticky thread in the misc section.

So that's about as thorough as I can be in describing the intent and rules of this project as I have considered them so far.

Please let me know if you have any questions, suggestions or feedback. If you believe I have overlooked any important aspects of this, please let me know in this thread.

Most importantly, please post if you would be interested in eventually participating in such a thing. This type of project would take a sizable time commitment from myself and others to be sure that it functions in the best way for all involved, and knowing that there are a decent number of members interested in committing to such a thing (as it would be a lengthy commitment to regularly debate in this manner) would go a long way in showing me that such a thing should come to fruition.

I do believe this idea has a lot of merit, and if done correctly, would be a very cool thing to become a major feature of the site. So let me know your thoughts.

G
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 2:47:39 PM
1) I plan on participating in DCL.
2) Since its long term, I think it's gonna lose interest fast.
3) Hopefully all the good voters don't join so that they can vote in all the debates.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 4:18:43 PM
I'm interested in participating. Hayd is correct that such a long term schedule can decrease interest, but that's all the more reason to a) have teams, and b) select them carefully. Having teams means that you don't need everyone to be active, and everyone can incentivize each other as new rounds come up. Selecting carefully just requires knowing who's active enough to stick around and get it done.
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 5:01:41 PM
I'm in.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 5:26:43 PM
I would love to do this.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 8:10:09 PM
1. ddOyeah (Zlav, vsf1)
4. Nameless (BobsJones)
8. El Team (Steve)

This made me chuckle, lol.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 8:13:15 PM
I think Steve is multiaccounting for wins. I can't believe Max is turning a blind eye to this.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 8:26:21 PM
I would like to join.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 8:33:06 PM
At 11/29/2015 8:13:15 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I think Steve is multiaccounting for wins. I can't believe Max is turning a blind eye to this.

Lol.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 10:41:50 PM
Can you link them to the original thread so that they have a basic idea of its framework?
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 10:43:47 PM
Can we make it so that all teams are the same since I don't see what happens if one team faces another with more or less people.
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2015 10:44:54 PM
At 11/29/2015 8:47:02 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

_________

3) DCL example league:

1. ddOyeah (Zlav, vsf1)
4. Nameless (BobsJones)
8. El Team (Steve)

4) Final Standings:

1. ddOyeah = 7-1
2. Debatorizers = 6-2
3. JustWin = 6-2
4. Dat Team Yo = 4-4
5. El Team = 4-4
6. Team 4 = 2-6
7. Name Pending = 2-6
8. Dat Team Yo = 1-7

5) Playoff seeding:

6) Championship

7) The Winner

DDoyeah defeats JustWin

T
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 2:15:53 AM
At 11/29/2015 9:25:00 AM, EverlastingMoment wrote:
Would there be any requirement to players joining these teams?

Right now the idea is to allow anyone who has interest. I'll consider restrictions later, but for right now I believe it is best to keep it open to everyone.

Because er, there would be a huge problem if trolls decided to come in to what is a long term tournament.

Well "Troll teams" would just lose and then lose their ability to participate in the future, so the actual damage done would be minimal. But it is worth considering what do do in certain scenarios, and I would hope that everyone who signs up will take it seriously. Perhaps a minimum membership time is warranted, but I don't think it's necessary to consider that yet, and I'm reluctant to restrict anyone.

It is an interesting idea though, meow. But how exactly will it be regulated?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I haven't yet thought about every eventuality, but there would be a lot of freedom for participants to determine their own debates (as long as opponent's agree on the resolution, I don't believe we should restrict much of anything). Aside from that, I believe most of the basic rules have already been outlined, and a league commissioner will oversee the league to make sure everything runs smoothly and that any conflicts that arise are resolved fairly and efficiently.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 2:17:22 AM
At 11/29/2015 9:25:49 AM, EverlastingMoment wrote:
Also, will it be open voting or is it done through picked judges?

I think open voting would be best (this could be determined by the opponent's, but it's worth considering universal rules for this), though as some posts below allude, there are some issues to still be worked out and I'm still considering ways in which to deal with voting aspects.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 2:18:40 AM
At 11/29/2015 11:19:16 AM, Wylted wrote:
I like those usernames

haha thanks... I wanted to give a visual representation of tan example league but didn't want to use real names... in the end I resigned to just use some parallel version to whichever accounts had posted recently when I wrote up the OP.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 2:26:17 AM
At 11/29/2015 2:47:39 PM, Hayd wrote:
1) I plan on participating in DCL.

Excellent, that's good to hear.

2) Since its long term, I think it's gonna lose interest fast.

I recognize that it's difficult to maintain interest in anything long term. The short attention spans seem to go with the territory and are an issue on the site. That is why I emphasized the team aspects of this idea. As I said, members are strongly encouraged to sign up with multiple members. That way, when someone isn't able to debate that portion of the schedule, or their desire/interests wanes, a different member of the team can simply carry the torch in the meantime.

Furthermore I think the team aspects are important for other reasons we can discuss later... But I especially think it's crucial to maintaining un-forfeited debates for what is a very lengthy amount of time to commit to something. I think having multiple members per team is the best way to deal with these types of issues and should help in many ways.

3) Hopefully all the good voters don't join so that they can vote in all the debates.

I considered this too, and as I said above, it's an aspect I need to consider some solutions too.

I don't know how to get around the inherent conflicts of interest though, and so participants can't vote on other participating debates - I simply don't know how else to deal with that. Hopefully I can find a solution... perhaps I can get members like DK or Blade-of-Truth (and any active voters unions) to specifically commit to keeping an eye on these DCL debates and making sure they are voted on. In any case, it's an issue I'm cognizant of and will do what I can to make sure it's dealt with to the best of our ability.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 2:27:36 AM
At 11/29/2015 4:18:43 PM, whiteflame wrote:
I'm interested in participating.

Excellent, that's great to hear.

Hayd is correct that such a long term schedule can decrease interest, but that's all the more reason to a) have teams, and b) select them carefully. Having teams means that you don't need everyone to be active, and everyone can incentivize each other as new rounds come up. Selecting carefully just requires knowing who's active enough to stick around and get it done.

Yup, exactly. The team aspect of this is strongly emphasized for those very reasons.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 2:29:22 AM
At 11/29/2015 8:10:09 PM, bsh1 wrote:
1. ddOyeah (Zlav, vsf1)
4. Nameless (BobsJones)
8. El Team (Steve)

This made me chuckle, lol.

haha thanks... 5000 Freedo points (pending his approval) to the first member who posts each of the parallel user names to the ones listed above - With the exception of Steve, that's just random.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 2:29:51 AM
At 11/29/2015 10:41:50 PM, mc9 wrote:
Can you link them to the original thread so that they have a basic idea of its framework?

I don't think it's necessary, but you can post the link here if you like.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 2:32:22 AM
At 11/29/2015 10:43:47 PM, mc9 wrote:
Can we make it so that all teams are the same since I don't see what happens if one team faces another with more or less people.

I'll give that some thought, though I believe most of the team structure elements should be left up to those who sign up. I realize this means that some teams will only have one member, while some may have 3... That's just up to those that sign up and arrange their team in whatever way that they do.... But I will consider this further since it may be worth creating some restrictions for balance.
Debate.org Moderator