Jump to topic:

Votes and mods

stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 11:48:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Okay I believe this system needs to be fixed a bit, and I want new mods. I want a vote to be held, and qualified people put into mod positions.
1. The reasons some votes get taken down I believe is wrong. If your vote gets reported it will get removed must likely. Some of the reasons votes are taken down is bull. Giving sources to the other person due to one having edu witches government sources yet still getting removed somehow is bull. This is what I believe is a clearly basised system, and needs some changes.
2. I believe there are to few mods so there is simply a getter chance they will not look to deeply into matters. I think that we need to set new standards for voting to clearly make sure these mistakes do not happen aging. More mods that are qualified will mean a more productive site.

3. So I want more mods new voting system and clear new standards made. The quicker the better.
Balacafa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 11:51:45 PM
At 12/5/2015 11:48:44 PM, stargate wrote:
Okay I believe this system needs to be fixed a bit, and I want new mods. I want a vote to be held, and qualified people put into mod positions.
1. The reasons some votes get taken down I believe is wrong. If your vote gets reported it will get removed must likely. Some of the reasons votes are taken down is bull. Giving sources to the other person due to one having edu witches government sources yet still getting removed somehow is bull. This is what I believe is a clearly basised system, and needs some changes.
2. I believe there are to few mods so there is simply a getter chance they will not look to deeply into matters. I think that we need to set new standards for voting to clearly make sure these mistakes do not happen aging. More mods that are qualified will mean a more productive site.

3. So I want more mods new voting system and clear new standards made. The quicker the better.

Are you advocating the replacement of all miss or just some?
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 11:54:53 PM
At 12/5/2015 11:51:45 PM, Balacafa wrote:

Both if need be, I want either new mods put into the mix, or if need be remove some.
Balacafa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 11:55:43 PM
At 12/5/2015 11:54:53 PM, stargate wrote:

Both if need be, I want either new mods put into the mix, or if need be remove some.

Any particular mods?
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 11:56:49 PM
At 12/5/2015 11:55:43 PM, Balacafa wrote:

Any particular mods?

Even if I did have some in mind, at this time I would rather not say who due to they might get offended and attack me with there allies.
Balacafa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 11:59:29 PM
At 12/5/2015 11:56:49 PM, stargate wrote:

Any particular mods?

Even if I did have some in mind, at this time I would rather not say who due to they might get offended and attack me with there allies.

Fair enough although there isn't much that they can do to you if you do mention it. As long as you don't say it in an overly-rude manner (Ie - just saying their names), then there is no TOS violation.
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:01:01 AM
At 12/5/2015 11:59:29 PM, Balacafa wrote:

Any particular mods?

Fair enough although there isn't much that they can do to you if you do mention it. As long as you don't say it in an overly-rude manner (Ie - just saying their names), then there is no TOS violation.

True but unless there is a high demand for me to say so and others then i see no point
as of now.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:03:45 AM
Any particular mods?

The mods are not that vengeful. Besides, as only two mods regularly handle voting issues, I think we can surmise who you're referencing.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:04:44 AM
At 12/6/2015 12:03:45 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Any particular mods?

The mods are not that vengeful. Besides, as only two mods regularly handle voting issues, I think we can surmise who you're referencing.

Maybe you can, but as it stands right now I will not directly say.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:07:02 AM
I think it is important to say that the mods were chosen for their positions (Max by Innomen, and Whiteflame and Blade by Max) because of their upstanding character and the positive view the broader DDO community had of them. They are the most qualified people we have, and they due the job absent personal biases and with diligence, and put in countless volunteer hours to keep this site running. They do a great job.

The voting standards are as they are to ensure that votes are quality votes. Justifying sources is important. A ".edu" source is not inherently better than a ".com" source, and some explanation beyond merely the ending of the link is needed. That's reasonable. What is not reasonable is a voter not putting in the effort to cast a thorough RFD.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:08:05 AM
At 12/6/2015 12:04:44 AM, stargate wrote:
Any particular mods?

The mods would not penalize you for merely criticizing them. Plenty of users do that, and they're still around. But, you don't have to say Whiteflame and Max if you don't want to.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:14:54 AM
At 12/6/2015 12:08:05 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Any particular mods?

The mods would not penalize you for merely criticizing them. Plenty of users do that, and they're still around. But, you don't have to say Whiteflame and Max if you don't want to.

Fine that user in question that lead me to make this was Whiteflame. Though I would prefer for him to stay a mod, I just want more mods in the fix to ensure a better more friendly site.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:17:04 AM
At 12/6/2015 12:14:54 AM, stargate wrote:
At 12/6/2015 12:08:05 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Any particular mods?

Fine that user in question that lead me to make this was Whiteflame. Though I would prefer for him to stay a mod, I just want more mods in the fix to ensure a better more friendly site.

I cannot think of that many people who have the time and energy to be mods who are also qualified to be mods and who would also readily accept the position.

Plus, more mods is not necessarily better. I like the generally chill vibe of moderation on DDO, and more mods could lead to more intense management.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:17:17 AM

Before discussing the other specific issues here, I'd like you to link to the specific vote removals you disagree with. There is no reason to discuss this in the abstract, since for every vote that is removed (or not removed) there is a post in the comments specifying the exact vote (the points awarded and the RFD) and the reason it was removed. So please do so, so I can understand better exactly what incidences specifically you take issue with.
Debate.org Moderator
Balacafa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:34:11 AM
At 12/6/2015 12:20:29 AM, stargate wrote:
http://www.debate.org... I disagree with the reason the vote got pulled.

You should probably reply again but quote airmax. If you don't quote he won't be notified.
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:35:05 AM
At 12/6/2015 12:34:11 AM, Balacafa wrote:

You should probably reply again but quote airmax. If you don't quote he won't be notified.

Ell I am a friend with him, so he will due to that.
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:35:44 AM
At 12/6/2015 12:17:17 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Before discussing the other specific issues here, I'd like you to link to the specific vote removals you disagree with. There is no reason to discuss this in the abstract, since for every vote that is removed (or not removed) there is a post in the comments specifying the exact vote (the points awarded and the RFD) and the reason it was removed. So please do so, so I can understand better exactly what incidences specifically you take issue with.

http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:36:05 AM
At 12/6/2015 12:35:05 AM, stargate wrote:
At 12/6/2015 12:34:11 AM, Balacafa wrote:

Ell I am a friend with him, so he will due to that.

He won't get a notification in this thread unless you use the "reply and quote" feature.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 12:47:13 AM
Posted: 12 months ago

Whiteflame can certainly explain it further, but the reason for removal seems to be pretty reasonable and consistent with site standards.

We don't want source points to be added insufficiently, especially when it can be used to unfairly award one side more points, and that is why those points are dealt with the way they are. In general, it's simpler for voters to avoid awarding those points, unless sources make a significant difference, and they can explain why sufficiently.

I'd also like to point out that neither Whiteflame nor I have anything against you. Until you made that poll a little while ago, you honestly weren't someone even on my radar, and I doubt Whiteflame really knew who you were either, and even though you are complaining about us now, neither of us takes it at all personally. You are free to complain about vote moderation, and about each of us individually and it will not change how we interact with you or deal with things in general or as they relate to you.

Do you have any other examples? I believe it's perfectly reasonable to say Whiteflame and I make mistakes because we do, but the reason the process is designed as it is, is to allow us to rectify easily situations in which we have made mistakes. However, to fix those mistakes you will have to provide examples of votes where those mistakes have been made, and I don't believe the above vote qualifies.
Debate.org Moderator
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 1:08:25 AM

I think it's a pretty simple and straightforward removal. The vote would have met the standards if the voter had decided to simply award you arguments points, but he chose to add the source points in, and spent far too little time explaining why. Simply assuming that certain votes are de facto better was not enough.

I am in agreement with Airmax. Contrary to what some might believe, I'm not carefully monitoring certain members and scanning their debates for problematic votes. I only assess the votes that get reported, and I report scant few myself. 99% of the votes I cover have nothing to do with me whatsoever, and while I cannot reasonably say that there's no bias involved in my decision to remove every single vote, the vast majority of what I cover is very obvious and requires extremely little interpretation on my part.
Reformist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2015 10:34:13 PM
We should

Get Conservative Judges

DDO History Revival Officer
Fuher of the Reich

"I'm not Asian"-Vaarka

"I would rather have a fascist than a socialist in office"- Bball

To be a feminist or to be smart that is the question
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 12:19:51 AM
If you are taking about the debate I did get some and some liberals. All the people who voted for me where removed and where conservative. I think the voting system is going downhill, it looks like there are less and less users voting. This is due to it looks like the only votes that are "good" are big votes. These smaller votes will be attacked and when they do they get removed. The voter will not come back to that debate, some of these reasons that get pulled is just not that good. It is just counterproductive. There should be new voting polices witch encourage more voting, new modes. Until then I do not like the voting systems and other things.
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 12:25:45 AM
Yeah but in real life in for example major tests and major debates and major papers. You would get more source points for having the more official website. Everyone knows that edu is goverment owned and trus more official then some random .com website. New sites are also good sources due to they would usally get in trouble if they make stuff up all the time. My point is f you want them to explain for every little thing then they will not vote as often sense some do not of the time to make super long reasons for voting. We see this now, there are less and less votes. The longer bigger for official debates usally have less votes then forfeits due to that fact. I know users who will not vote due to that fact.
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 12:26:44 AM
Maybe I am wrong but I think that the voting system is going downhill, there are less users voting and that just is not a good sing.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 12:30:45 AM
At 12/8/2015 12:19:51 AM, stargate wrote:
If you are taking about the debate I did get some and some liberals. All the people who voted for me where removed and where conservative. I think the voting system is going downhill, it looks like there are less and less users voting. This is due to it looks like the only votes that are "good" are big votes. These smaller votes will be attacked and when they do they get removed. The voter will not come back to that debate, some of these reasons that get pulled is just not that good. It is just counterproductive. There should be new voting polices witch encourage more voting, new modes. Until then I do not like the voting systems and other things.

Moderation is not perfect. Of that there is no doubt. I am not a moderator, and I have been a frequent critic of certain choices that moderation has taken.

That being said, your vote was "just below" minimally adequate to pass. You have to do more than make a conclusory statement about who won or who lost; you have to explain why that's the case. I haven't read the debate, but your RFD more or less just said who you thought won, and who you thought lost. You didn't really give reasons for that.

It's not about ideology, either. Your vote was deficient. You need, at the very least, a sentence saying what PRO's main points were; a sentence saying what CON's main points are; a sentence identifying areas of clash; and a sentence explaining why the winner won, and/or loser lost. You didn't have that, so it was reasonable to remove your vote.
Tsar of DDO
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 12:32:31 AM
At 12/6/2015 1:08:25 AM, whiteflame wrote:

I think it's a pretty simple and straightforward removal. The vote would have met the standards if the voter had decided to simply award you arguments points, but he chose to add the source points in, and spent far too little time explaining why. Simply assuming that certain votes are de facto better was not enough.

I am in agreement with Airmax. Contrary to what some might believe, I'm not carefully monitoring certain members and scanning their debates for problematic votes. I only assess the votes that get reported, and I report scant few myself. 99% of the votes I cover have nothing to do with me whatsoever, and while I cannot reasonably say that there's no bias involved in my decision to remove every single vote, the vast majority of what I cover is very obvious and requires extremely little interpretation on my part.

I never thought you had any list of that sort. I simply believe you would not want to or put in the time to look at every post. I understand why you do what you do and I respect that, but I think we need some changes in some areas. The biggest change the way voting works.
stargate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 12:33:51 AM
At 12/8/2015 12:30:45 AM, YYW wrote:
At 12/8/2015 12:19:51 AM, stargate wrote:

Moderation is not perfect. Of that there is no doubt. I am not a moderator, and I have been a frequent critic of certain choices that moderation has taken.

That being said, your vote was "just below" minimally adequate to pass. You have to do more than make a conclusory statement about who won or who lost; you have to explain why that's the case. I haven't read the debate, but your RFD more or less just said who you thought won, and who you thought lost. You didn't really give reasons for that.

It's not about ideology, either. Your vote was deficient. You need, at the very least, a sentence saying what PRO's main points were; a sentence saying what CON's main points are; a sentence identifying areas of clash; and a sentence explaining why the winner won, and/or loser lost. You didn't have that, so it was reasonable to remove your vote.

It was not my vote for one, it was a vote for me there is a difference.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2015 12:34:58 AM
At 12/8/2015 12:32:31 AM, stargate wrote:
At 12/6/2015 1:08:25 AM, whiteflame wrote:

I never thought you had any list of that sort. I simply believe you would not want to or put in the time to look at every post. I understand why you do what you do and I respect that, but I think we need some changes in some areas. The biggest change the way voting works.

If you want to know what an RFD should look like, look at any one I've ever written.

For example:

Tsar of DDO