Jump to topic:

Whiteflame AMA

whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 6:12:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Given that I just recently reached 1000 posts in the forums, I figure it's time I actually did one of these. I'll answer any questions that I am able to and that are within reason (i.e. wouldn't go against basic site rules and would require me to reveal incredibly personal or sensitive information).
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 6:15:20 PM
Congrats :)

1. Most attractive celebrity?
2. Your honest opinion of me?
3. Favorite debate not by you?
4. Three strange or interesting facts about you?
5. How does it feel being an atheist axolotl in a world geared towards religious humans?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 6:15:54 PM
At 12/6/2015 6:15:36 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 12/6/2015 6:15:00 PM, Mirza wrote:
Am I awesome? :)

'Course you are :)
That's right. :)
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 6:30:32 PM
At 12/6/2015 6:15:20 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Congrats :)

Thanks!

1. Most attractive celebrity?

Huh, honestly never thought it through. I'd have to go with Emma Stone, really dig her.

2. Your honest opinion of me?

You're a large part of what makes this site awesome. You put a lot of yourself into it without any expectation of return. You're a great debater, a great president, and a great person.

3. Favorite debate not by you?

http://www.debate.org...

I learned a lot from reading it, and it was a close onel

4. Three strange or interesting facts about you?

I have a twin brother, though were fraternal. I'm 2 minutes older.
I'm currently in the fourth year of my PhD in microbiology, studying satellite RNAs in plants and, potentially, a new method for disease detection.
I'm pretty heavily into anime. Been to a couple of conventions, written some fan fiction, and I still watch a great deal of it in my spare time.

5. How does it feel being an atheist axolotl in a world geared towards religious humans?

...It's more amazing than you might think.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 6:34:55 PM
At 12/6/2015 6:12:32 PM, whiteflame wrote:
Given that I just recently reached 1000 posts in the forums, I figure it's time I actually did one of these. I'll answer any questions that I am able to and that are within reason (i.e. wouldn't go against basic site rules and would require me to reveal incredibly personal or sensitive information).

Greatest movie of all time? Greatest anime of all time?
#FeeltheFreezerBern
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 6:37:39 PM
At 12/6/2015 6:34:55 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Greatest movie of all time?

There are so many great ones! Damn, this is hard. For me, personally, I'd go with Schindler's List, just because it's stuck with me more than any other movie.

Greatest anime of all time?

Easier decision: either Fate/Zero or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Those 2 are too close to call for me.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 6:48:17 PM
YOU HAVE A TWIN?

Do you finish one another's sentences?
Do you feel angry when he does?

Honest opinion of me?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 6:48:31 PM
Your favourite quality in a person?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 6:50:05 PM
At 12/6/2015 6:48:17 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
YOU HAVE A TWIN?

Yup.

Do you finish one another's sentences?

Not as often as you'd think, but we do sometimes.

Do you feel angry when he does?

He's got a much shorter fuse than I do.

Honest opinion of me?

I think you're a solid debater who contributes a lot to the site. I honestly don't feel like I know you all that well, but that's something I'd like to rectify.
Balacafa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:00:55 PM

Honest opinion of me since we just did a debate? (I mean in terms of debating)
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:01:17 PM

AMAs need to be put in the personal section.

However, if you make this somewhat moderation related it makes sense for it to be put here... so to that end I'll ask some moderation related questions:

How have things been going with vote moderation?

What are the greatest challenges related to vote moderation?

Is there anything you would change about vote moderation? What do you think are some of the strengths of the current system? Weaknesses?

How do you feel about being a moderator in general (not voting related)? What are some of the challenges regarding being a site moderator? Do you enjoy being a moderator?

Is working with Airmax on site moderation a drag?

Rumor has it that Airmax would lose his mind if you ever stepped down as a site mod (at least before he does) do you anticipate this happening any time soon?

You've been called out publicly for moderation related things and criticized for certain actions. How do you feel about this? Do you think it just goes with the territory? Does it particularly bother you?
Debate.org Moderator
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:02:36 PM
At 12/6/2015 7:00:55 PM, Balacafa wrote:

Honest opinion of me since we just did a debate? (I mean in terms of debating)

I think you're good at certain forms of argumentation, though I found there to be a pretty wide disparity between your first and second rounds.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:05:44 PM

Did you ever choke on food or drink?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
KingofEverything
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:06:48 PM

Lol you are supposed to post AMA's in the personal section.
You're sweet. Thank you :) <3 -ESocial

I am sorry Debate.org -KingofEverything

You guys can stop the circlejerk started around the election. It stopped being funny faster than Mirza's anti-American rants. -Jonbonbon

It's like when the kid who makes an ugly sand castle on the beach goes and tries to kick down someone else's sand castle because he couldn't make one as good as that. -YYW
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:18:00 PM

What is your solution to the Fermi Paradox?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:20:52 PM
At 12/6/2015 7:01:17 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

However, if you make this somewhat moderation related it makes sense for it to be put here... so to that end I'll ask some moderation related questions:

Was hoping for that :)

Generally well. There are spikes in terms of reported votes and troughs as well. Most votes that are reported get reported with good reason, and thus get removed, but the majority of those are from newcomers who don't have a good grasp of the standards yet. Those who want their voting privileges back usually get them quickly so long as they send me an RFD on another debate. Overall, I'd say there's been genuine progress in the quality of votes that are posted, and more debaters are satisfied with that quality.

A combination of misunderstanding how the standards work (and thus how moderation enforces them) and dissatisfaction with them. A lot of people seem to think that there's a certain length requirement involved for RFDs, though that's absolutely not the case. Many believe that the standards are too harsh, but these are actually rather light and most who disagree at least see some of the reason behind them as being valid after a short discussion. Some people do abuse the system by reporting a lot of votes, but that only increases the number of votes I read, not the number I remove.

Is there anything you would change about vote moderation? What do you think are some of the strengths of the current system? Weaknesses?

I like the current system. It's done a lot to improve vote quality, as I mentioned, and it disseminates a basic understanding of how the various point allocations of the 7 point system in particular should work. Debaters should feel like they're not losing just because one side got allocated an extra point in S&G, and I've seen little of that since I started. It's a solid system for improving votes.

I'd say there are two chief weaknesses. One is that we still don't distinguish between a sufficient vote and a good vote. I've found that quite a few of the votes that we'd classify as sufficient only do the absolute bare minimum, and that is still not enough for many debaters, which is why I'm looking forward to the implementation of the opt-in system. Two is that there's always going to be a human element. Keeping up with this is never simple, and I'll admit, mistakes have been and will be made. We can do our best to rectify the situation and make amends, but there's only so much we can do when a vote is removed improperly.

How do you feel about being a moderator in general (not voting related)? What are some of the challenges regarding being a site moderator? Do you enjoy being a moderator?

I do enjoy being a moderator, at least most of the time. While there are certainly dissenters, I feel like most of the site is behind my decisions, though I openly welcome criticism. That's not to say that all criticism is warranted, and being a more public figure on the site has plenty of downsides. This takes a lot of time and effort as well, so factoring it into my day is never easy. However, it's something I feel must be done, and it's something I'm willing to invest myself in.

Nope. It's always awesome working with Airmax, honestly feel like we're on the same page about a lot of things.

Rumor has it that Airmax would lose his mind if you ever stepped down as a site mod (at least before he does) do you anticipate this happening any time soon?

Haven't considered it yet, so don't go losing your mind!

You've been called out publicly for moderation related things and criticized for certain actions. How do you feel about this? Do you think it just goes with the territory? Does it particularly bother you?

I'm pretty thick-skinned. I don't feel like much of the public outcry has been directed at me personally beyond views of bias, which frankly haven't been supported well. Other criticism is welcome: I'm always happy to reconsider the way I'm doing things on the site. Most of the criticism I've received, unfortunately, hasn't been very constructive, nor have the suggestions been all that reasonable, but it hasn't dragged me down either.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:21:59 PM
At 12/6/2015 7:05:44 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Did you ever choke on food or drink?

Often. I'm a klutz in general and that's no less the case with food and drink, though thankfully I've only placed myself in danger by doing it once.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:22:38 PM
At 12/6/2015 7:06:48 PM, KingofEverything wrote:

Lol you are supposed to post AMA's in the personal section.

So Airmax said, though as this is open to discussion of my moderation, I feel it warrants a place here.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:24:25 PM
At 12/6/2015 7:18:00 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

What is your solution to the Fermi Paradox?

The truth is out there.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:30:20 PM

What is your opinion on the nature of human conflict?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:31:55 PM
At 12/6/2015 7:30:20 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

What is your opinion on the nature of human conflict?

As long as resources are finite and opinions differ, conflict will always be present in our lives. The only question is how far we're willing to go in any given instance.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:35:05 PM
Have you yet watched DDO: The Movie? The number 1 movie on DDO?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:35:18 PM

FINALLY. Now all that has to happen is for Raisor to make one, and then my life will be complete.

Honest opinion of me?

How many total hours per day do you usually spend on DDO?

On balance, has your appointment as chief vote moderator enhanced or hurt your overall DDO experience?

Which 3 debates are you gonna nominate into the HoF next cycle?

If you could have three currently-inactive DDO users come back, who would they be?

How many lives have to be at stake before it becomes morally permissible to kill a single innocent person to save them?

What's your preferred ontology of mind? (physicalism, dualism, idealism, etc)

On a scale from 1-10, how firm is your faith in God's existence?

Do you think I'd beat Zarroette in a debate?

How much does Juggle's inactivity annoy you?

Would you be scared if Trump became president?

How many more questions do I have to ask before it starts getting on your nerves?
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:43:25 PM

Top 5 underrated debaters.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:45:43 PM

Honest opinion of me
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:50:07 PM
At 12/6/2015 7:35:05 PM, imabench wrote:
Have you yet watched DDO: The Movie? The number 1 movie on DDO?

Yep. Fantastic. 5 stars.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 7:51:59 PM
At 12/6/2015 7:20:52 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 12/6/2015 7:01:17 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Was hoping for that :)

Generally well. There are spikes in terms of reported votes and troughs as well. Most votes that are reported get reported with good reason, and thus get removed, but the majority of those are from newcomers who don't have a good grasp of the standards yet. Those who want their voting privileges back usually get them quickly so long as they send me an RFD on another debate. Overall, I'd say there's been genuine progress in the quality of votes that are posted, and more debaters are satisfied with that quality.

A combination of misunderstanding how the standards work (and thus how moderation enforces them) and dissatisfaction with them. A lot of people seem to think that there's a certain length requirement involved for RFDs, though that's absolutely not the case. Many believe that the standards are too harsh, but these are actually rather light and most who disagree at least see some of the reason behind them as being valid after a short discussion. Some people do abuse the system by reporting a lot of votes, but that only increases the number of votes I read, not the number I remove.

I like the current system. It's done a lot to improve vote quality, as I mentioned, and it disseminates a basic understanding of how the various point allocations of the 7 point system in particular should work. Debaters should feel like they're not losing just because one side got allocated an extra point in S&G, and I've seen little of that since I started. It's a solid system for improving votes.

I'd say there are two chief weaknesses. One is that we still don't distinguish between a sufficient vote and a good vote. I've found that quite a few of the votes that we'd classify as sufficient only do the absolute bare minimum, and that is still not enough for many debaters, which is why I'm looking forward to the implementation of the opt-in system. Two is that there's always going to be a human element. Keeping up with this is never simple, and I'll admit, mistakes have been and will be made. We can do our best to rectify the situation and make amends, but there's only so much we can do when a vote is removed improperly.

I do enjoy being a moderator, at least most of the time. While there are certainly dissenters, I feel like most of the site is behind my decisions, though I openly welcome criticism. That's not to say that all criticism is warranted, and being a more public figure on the site has plenty of downsides. This takes a lot of time and effort as well, so factoring it into my day is never easy. However, it's something I feel must be done, and it's something I'm willing to invest myself in.

Nope. It's always awesome working with Airmax, honestly feel like we're on the same page about a lot of things.

Haven't considered it yet, so don't go losing your mind!

I'm pretty thick-skinned. I don't feel like much of the public outcry has been directed at me personally beyond views of bias, which frankly haven't been supported well. Other criticism is welcome: I'm always happy to reconsider the way I'm doing things on the site. Most of the criticism I've received, unfortunately, hasn't been very constructive, nor have the suggestions been all that reasonable, but it hasn't dragged me down either.

I'm really happy this conversation materialized publicly. It's important to see the opinions of the person behind the moderator because people often forget moderators are just normal people too. I'm happy it's going relatively smooth for you as well, I think you've done a fine job.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...