Jump to topic:

In case you were wondering...

Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 8:13:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Why I haven't been on lately (I make no claims to mass worrying on the part of DDO members, but nonetheless), it's a combination of work, politics, and the fact that the site's regulars have gone from being generally self-reflecting rational individuals with a diverse range of views, to a group of squabbling teens that, while intelligent and above average and generally nice to talk to, wouldn't budge an inch from their anarchist position in life, even if you set a fire right behind them. I'm not exactly thrilled to log on to DDO and see the same arguments with almost the same words coming from five or six people per thread. There's just something so banal about it all.

Anyways, cheers to people that are against this tide - innomen, Lwerd, JBlake, feverish, J.Kenyon, Kleptin, et. al. - and hopefully you find more interest in the site than I find is warranted at the moment.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 8:21:20 PM
Yikes, I'm sorry that my fellow anarchist teenagers upset you that much. And if I am to blame as well, I apologize. I hope that you remain on this site since you are an awesome debater and I always enjoy reading your posts. I'm not a prolific poster on the politics page like you, but I hope that in the future we could debate various aspects of your ideology. I promise, I'll keep an open-mind and try my best! Once again, I do sincerely apologize.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 8:35:01 PM
At 10/6/2010 8:25:15 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Are you leaving???

Nah, I'm not throwing a PoeJoe-like fit. I've just been inactive for a good period now, and while people may or may not have noticed (flattery gets you everywhere, fyi), I thought I'd just make a quick statement on why. Not leaving, however.

@annhassle,

Never had an issue with you, so no worries. Even if I did, it's not something to apologize about - people will stick to their views, stubbornly and sometimes irrationally so, even at the detriment of reasoned debate. Lord knows I do it often enough.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 8:39:21 PM
I'm sure most of the anarchists will leave fairly soon, exceptions being Geo, ann, Rob, Reasoning, maybe Sieben, and some other vet anarchists.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 8:57:07 PM
At 10/6/2010 8:39:21 PM, Korashk wrote:
I'm sure most of the anarchists will leave fairly soon, exceptions being Geo, ann, Rob, Reasoning, maybe Sieben, and some other vet anarchists.

I think LaissezFaire plans on staying. Rob got banned, so he may or may not be back.

Glad you're not leaving, Volkov. You're my favorite filthy communist Canadian librul :D
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 9:01:37 PM
At 10/6/2010 8:57:07 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

I think LaissezFaire plans on staying. Rob got banned, so he may or may not be back.

LF is alright, and I forgot about Rob being banned. Hm.

Glad you're not leaving, Volkov. You're my favorite filthy communist Canadian librul :D

I'm the only filthy communist Canadian librul. xD Unless you count Insert...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 9:05:54 PM

Rob is still here, I'm surprised you didn't notice his new persona.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 9:06:59 PM
At 10/6/2010 8:35:01 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 10/6/2010 8:25:15 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
@annhassle,

Never had an issue with you, so no worries. Even if I did, it's not something to apologize about - people will stick to their views, stubbornly and sometimes irrationally so, even at the detriment of reasoned debate. Lord knows I do it often enough.

The apology might not be necessary but I felt that it was needed! Plus, I don't want anarchists to get a bad reputation because of the few who dominate the politics forum! There are others, like myself, that do try to remain open to other ideologies. :D

And yes, we should stick to our views, but people should learn to step back and objectively look at the argument. You might find yourself arguing for an irrational position inadvertently. That's happened to me a couple times... >_<
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 9:07:20 PM
At 10/6/2010 9:05:54 PM, Korashk wrote:

Rob is still here, I'm surprised you didn't notice his new persona.

CARMEL!!! :D
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 10:58:01 PM
You're just mad because you can't refute our logic.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 11:05:58 PM
At 10/6/2010 10:58:01 PM, Reasoning wrote:
You're just mad because you can't refute our logic.

you don't offer logic, you offer sound bites.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 11:10:21 PM
At 10/6/2010 11:05:58 PM, belle wrote:
you don't offer logic, you offer sound bites.

"No sect and no political party has believed that it could afford to forgo advancing its cause by appealing to men's senses. Rhetorical bombast, music and song resound, banners wave, flowers and colors serve as symbols, and the leaders seek to attach their followers to their own person. Liberalism has nothing to do with all this. It has no party flower and no party color, no party song and no party idols, no symbols and no slogans. It has the substance and the arguments. These must lead it to victory." - Ludwig von Mises
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 11:10:37 PM
I'm not sure I can even be called an Anarchist, lol. I have several key disagreements with many, and I also don't necessarily identify as one. I just defend Anarchism.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 11:19:46 PM
At 10/6/2010 11:10:37 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I'm not sure I can even be called an Anarchist, lol. I have several key disagreements with many, and I also don't necessarily identify as one. I just defend Anarchism.

What are you then?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2010 11:21:23 PM
At 10/6/2010 11:19:46 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 10/6/2010 11:10:37 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

What are you then?

He's not saying, duh.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 9:42:57 AM
Geo is an enigma that likes claiming there's enigmas everywhere. He's cool.

Freedo, I'm not doing anything because of anarchists. But would you want to bother coming on and talking and debating when six or seven people per thread all espouse the same things? Its trifling boring.

And Reasoning, if there's any logical statements to come out of DDO's resident libertarians and anarchists, you're hardly contributing them.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 9:52:29 AM
At 10/6/2010 8:13:13 PM, Volkov wrote:
Why I haven't been on lately (I make no claims to mass worrying on the part of DDO members, but nonetheless), it's a combination of work, politics, and the fact that the site's regulars have gone from being generally self-reflecting rational individuals with a diverse range of views, to a group of squabbling teens that, while intelligent and above average and generally nice to talk to, wouldn't budge an inch from their anarchist position in life, even if you set a fire right behind them. I'm not exactly thrilled to log on to DDO and see the same arguments with almost the same words coming from five or six people per thread. There's just something so banal about it all.

Anyways, cheers to people that are against this tide - innomen, Lwerd, JBlake, feverish, J.Kenyon, Kleptin, et. al. - and hopefully you find more interest in the site than I find is warranted at the moment.

JBlake has been pretty much as good as gone for a while now (which is a shame) but what happened to theLwerd? She hasn't been around much lately either. And Panda and PoeJoe have gone AWOL as well.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 10:02:26 AM
At 10/7/2010 9:52:29 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
JBlake has been pretty much as good as gone for a while now (which is a shame) but what happened to theLwerd? She hasn't been around much lately either.

I've seen JBlake on recently in my stalking of the forums, though not much. Lwerd has been on as well, though I'm unsure about how much in politics forums. I finished a debate with her not too long ago, though.

And Panda and PoeJoe have gone AWOL as well.

Panda has become a rabid libertarian, while PoeJoe threw a fit and left.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 10:22:37 AM
At 10/7/2010 10:02:26 AM, Volkov wrote:

OR, Panda has school and CIV5.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 10:23:35 AM
At 10/7/2010 10:22:37 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/7/2010 10:02:26 AM, Volkov wrote:

OR, Panda has school and CIV5.

And he's become a rabid libertarian.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 10:27:35 AM
I'm here -- I just echo Volkov's sentiments about the lack of interest to talk politics. Ironically, I've actually been looking into anarchism a lot more (with friends IRL as opposed to DDO) but I agree that their whole approach here is very overwhelming. Instead of being engaging, I feel like all you see are huge blocks of texts (quotes) to assert their case rather than discuss it... and while I cringe at the idea of tl;dr I won't say that I haven't felt that way about many of their posts. Also, I agree that there's a strength in numbers factor which was annoying enough to deal with regarding the Libertarians lol this is just over-kill. There are what: three liberals left? Now I'm not saying people should espouse liberalism just for the sake of keeping DDO interesting, but admittedly the lack of diversity is what's just making it boring.
President of DDO
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 10:38:28 AM
At 10/7/2010 10:27:35 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm here -- I just echo Volkov's sentiments about the lack of interest to talk politics. Ironically, I've actually been looking into anarchism a lot more (with friends IRL as opposed to DDO) but I agree that their whole approach here is very overwhelming. Instead of being engaging, I feel like all you see are huge blocks of texts (quotes) to assert their case rather than discuss it... and while I cringe at the idea of tl;dr I won't say that I haven't felt that way about many of their posts. Also, I agree that there's a strength in numbers factor which was annoying enough to deal with regarding the Libertarians lol this is just over-kill. There are what: three liberals left? Now I'm not saying people should espouse liberalism just for the sake of keeping DDO interesting, but admittedly the lack of diversity is what's just making it boring.

All of us? I thought that was just Reasoning for the most part.

Anyway, sorry, Volkov, if I in any way contributed to you're loss of interest in the site. I probably won't get any less stubborn, but I'll try to not post in threads that already have plenty of anarchist opinions, so the thread doesn't get overwhelmed with the same arguments being repeated.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 11:36:10 AM
Volkov, I don't see your problem. Just post liberal resolutions that you want to defend and then debate them. It's a debate site, not a chat room.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 12:04:24 PM
At 10/7/2010 11:36:10 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Volkov, I don't see your problem. Just post liberal resolutions that you want to defend and then debate them. It's a debate site, not a chat room.

If you haven't noticed, Roy, I do most of my debating on the forums.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 12:06:47 PM
At 10/7/2010 12:04:24 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 10/7/2010 11:36:10 AM, RoyLatham wrote:

If you haven't noticed, Roy, I do most of my debating on the forums.

I do most of my debates formally. The level of discourse in the forums has gone WAY down in recent months.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 12:30:31 PM
At 10/7/2010 12:06:47 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
I do most of my debates formally. The level of discourse in the forums has gone WAY down in recent months.

I know. Unfortunately, I rarely have the time with my schedule to do formal debates, which I like to try and put a lot of effort into. The forums are just so much easier and pretty instantaneous, not to mention you can hold several debates at once.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 2:21:39 PM

Cheers for the shout out bro, I've not been as active myself recently, though not for the same reasons as you. There has been an influx of anarchists lately but I'm sure a reasonable equilibrium will soon be restored. Sieben and Laissez seem like intelligent and reasonable guys to me, though obviously we disagree on a lot. I expect any band-wagoners with little to offer themselves probably won't stick around for long.

I'm finding I do have some common ground with left anarchists like Rob/Caramel and even Reasoning. Though we disagree on some basic fundamentals, we seem to have some shared principles. I kind of see all the anarchism as a welcome change from the uber-libertarianism to be honest, but yeah, more liberals and lefties would be nice.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2010 2:22:37 PM

Volkov:

The situation is simpler than you think. People who used to be here are growing up and realizing that they have responsibilities. Ideology has become replaced with practicality. The anarchists are just the next generation of whatever we were several years back. Let them have their fun. We're the old people who don't understand them and who are less intelligent than them now, apparently. That's how the mindset will inevitably turn.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.