Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Best Books On Debating, Logic, Reasoning, etc

LoopHolez
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 2:21:11 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Hello,

I am new to debating on places like Facebook and other on-line forums. When defeated on Facebook the whole world now knows you are terrible at debating, so I need to get great. What can I say I hate to loose a debate and it happens often because I am bad at it. I am looking for the best book recommendations to become a Master Debater ( yeah I know what that sounds like, lol ;-) ) So if you can give me the best books you know of that have helped you in your long careers as master debaters let me know. I also need books on a list of all the logical fallacies, critical thinking skills, reasoning, great logic, arguing well, and so forth, since all those fields are all interrelated to debating they will help me a presume. Because the more you know about all the logical fallacies there are out there, and the better your logic and critical thinking and reasoning skills, well the better the debater I will be. So go ahead list all the books you can for me, I will read them all. So the next time I get into a debate anywhere, like Facebook, the other person will run away in shame having been ruthlessly defeated by me.

Also if you want to share YouTube videos on how to be a great debater feel free to share with me as I will watch those as well to learn more on how to become a master debater. If you know of any DVDs to buy on debating I will buy as well. Mostly I'm interested in books on how to become a better debater, but YouTube videos you know of and DVDs on the subject or anything really I will buy, like flash cards on logical fallacies, just anything at all to help make me a master.

So I'm here to ask you for your help on how to become a great debater for the rest of my life.

Thank you so much everyone :-)
MizzEnigma
Posts: 15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 5:27:46 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Logical Fallacies
[http://www.logicalfallacies.info...]

Constructing Logical Arguments
[http://ocw.mit.edu...]

Crafting Logical Arguments
[http://virtualschool.edu...]

Logical Argument Forms
[https://en.wikipedia.org...]

Logic Terms and Concepts
[http://www.ics.uci.edu...]

Tips for Debating
[http://onlinelearn.edschool.virginia.edu...]

Types of Reasoning
[http://changingminds.org...]

+ Be sure of your stance. I'd advise researching both sides of an issue in order to be kept inform and for potential debates regarding the issue. (Such as abortion, for instance. Know the legal issue [cases], biology process for it, etc. Know your own explanation and reasoning for it [and be sure it is a valid reason.] Try to keep the explanation simple, especially for the readers.)

+ When you are wrong, admit your are wrong. Don't try to defend a stance when it is pointless and clear that you are wrong. It will look badly on you.
Bound by mystery, shadowed by the enigma.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 11:15:59 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
I don't know any debating books, but these are some great books on logic:

From the father of predicate logic:
http://dec59.ruk.cuni.cz...

An interesting resolution to the sorties paradox (on second order logic):
http://semantics.uchicago.edu...
Tbh, Stewart Shapiro's work is superior but it's not free so meh.

If you enjoy First Order logic you'll probably like to get your head around higher order logic:
http://www.math.helsinki.fi...

Highly recommend this lecture of forms of proof:
http://www.inf.ed.ac.uk...
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
LoopHolez
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 12:31:39 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Wow..great stuff. Thanks again guys. I will probably end up buying them all. And thanks for website recommendation. Cheers
LoopHolez
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 12:38:30 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Also MissEnigma thanks for the debate tips, good ideas :-) If anyone has any more basic debating tips and rules of thumb, please share them with me.
LoopHolez
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 1:07:57 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Sorry one more thing. Instead of creating a new forum I will ask here. For public debating would you guys here at debate.org recommend a local Toastmasters group for honing your public speaking skills for debate?
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 2:17:00 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 1:07:57 AM, LoopHolez wrote:
Sorry one more thing. Instead of creating a new forum I will ask here. For public debating would you guys here at debate.org recommend a local Toastmasters group for honing your public speaking skills for debate?

I find institutionalised debating to be more fun. Toastmasters are definitely capable at improving your skills, however the real thrill is in the competitive side of debating. Ie, your university vs every other university around. Or otherwise your club vs all the others.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
LoopHolez
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 2:57:51 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 2:17:00 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/12/2015 1:07:57 AM, LoopHolez wrote:
Sorry one more thing. Instead of creating a new forum I will ask here. For public debating would you guys here at debate.org recommend a local Toastmasters group for honing your public speaking skills for debate?

I find institutionalised debating to be more fun. Toastmasters are definitely capable at improving your skills, however the real thrill is in the competitive side of debating. Ie, your university vs every other university around. Or otherwise your club vs all the others.

Excellent. Thank you. By the way Smithereens while I can understand the papers you gave me to some extent, they will take multiple readings to understand completely. Lucky for me I'm not an idiot and have a good understanding of the basics of logic already, so I will understand them after enough readings. Any how I was wondering are you a logician? Because those are graduate level papers you gave me. They are not for your average individual. What do you study at university?
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 5:37:02 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 2:57:51 AM, LoopHolez wrote:
Excellent. Thank you. By the way Smithereens while I can understand the papers you gave me to some extent, they will take multiple readings to understand completely. Lucky for me I'm not an idiot and have a good understanding of the basics of logic already, so I will understand them after enough readings. Any how I was wondering are you a logician? Because those are graduate level papers you gave me. They are not for your average individual. What do you study at university?

I study science. When I was in high school I took an interest in classical literature and theoretical papers freely available on the web. After a few years and several hundred resources I learnt most systems of logic etc. Now I just read for fun, which is why I recommended you that paper on sorties paradox.

Do you want a fun brain teaser? Prove that there is a contradiction in the following statement:
"If life exists on other planets, life exists on earth."
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 3:09:18 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 12:31:39 AM, LoopHolez wrote:
Wow..great stuff. Thanks again guys. I will probably end up buying them all. And thanks for website recommendation. Cheers

Zaradi is running a Member Mentorship Program, where you can get a "master debater" to refine your debating skills.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2015 3:45:12 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/11/2015 2:21:11 PM, LoopHolez wrote:
Hello,

I am new to debating on places like Facebook and other on-line forums. When defeated on Facebook the whole world now knows you are terrible at debating, so I need to get great. What can I say I hate to loose a debate and it happens often because I am bad at it. I am looking for the best book recommendations to become a Master Debater ( yeah I know what that sounds like, lol ;-) ) So if you can give me the best books you know of that have helped you in your long careers as master debaters let me know. I also need books on a list of all the logical fallacies, critical thinking skills, reasoning, great logic, arguing well, and so forth, since all those fields are all interrelated to debating they will help me a presume. Because the more you know about all the logical fallacies there are out there, and the better your logic and critical thinking and reasoning skills, well the better the debater I will be. So go ahead list all the books you can for me, I will read them all. So the next time I get into a debate anywhere, like Facebook, the other person will run away in shame having been ruthlessly defeated by me.

Also if you want to share YouTube videos on how to be a great debater feel free to share with me as I will watch those as well to learn more on how to become a master debater. If you know of any DVDs to buy on debating I will buy as well. Mostly I'm interested in books on how to become a better debater, but YouTube videos you know of and DVDs on the subject or anything really I will buy, like flash cards on logical fallacies, just anything at all to help make me a master.

So I'm here to ask you for your help on how to become a great debater for the rest of my life.

Thank you so much everyone :-)

The master debater joke has actually been done many times on this site, haha. :P
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
LoopHolez
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 3:40:13 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 3:09:18 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 12/12/2015 12:31:39 AM, LoopHolez wrote:
Wow..great stuff. Thanks again guys. I will probably end up buying them all. And thanks for website recommendation. Cheers

Zaradi is running a Member Mentorship Program, where you can get a "master debater" to refine your debating skills.

Tell me more. I'm interested.

At 12/12/2015 5:37:02 AM, Smithereens wrote:



Do you want a fun brain teaser? Prove that there is a contradiction in the following statement:
"If life exists on other planets, life exists on earth."

Thanks for ruining my night, lol. Now I'll be up all night. Its a paradox isn't it? I give up..what's the contradiction.
LoopHolez
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 3:42:12 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/12/2015 3:45:12 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 12/11/2015 2:21:11 PM, LoopHolez wrote:
Hello,


The master debater joke has actually been done many times on this site, haha. :P

Haha...yeah, still a classic!
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 3:54:46 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/13/2015 3:40:13 AM, LoopHolez wrote:
Do you want a fun brain teaser? Prove that there is a contradiction in the following statement:
"If life exists on other planets, life exists on earth."

Thanks for ruining my night, lol. Now I'll be up all night. Its a paradox isn't it? I give up..what's the contradiction.

The solution is in the sig. More precisely, there is no solution.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
LoopHolez
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 4:18:28 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/13/2015 3:54:46 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/13/2015 3:40:13 AM, LoopHolez wrote:
Do you want a fun brain teaser? Prove that there is a contradiction in the following statement:
"If life exists on other planets, life exists on earth."

Thanks for ruining my night, lol. Now I'll be up all night. Its a paradox isn't it? I give up..what's the contradiction.

The solution is in the sig. More precisely, there is no solution.

Ohhh...that's what I thought, but I thought you meant I 'had' to prove there was a contradiction. No wonder, it just didn't make sense to me logically.
LoopHolez
Posts: 10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 4:24:40 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/13/2015 3:42:16 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 12/13/2015 3:40:13 AM, LoopHolez wrote:
Tell me more. I'm interested.

Just PM Zaradi and ask him about it.
http://www.debate.org...

That's what I was going to do, but I wasn't sure if he would take PMs. Thanks Hayd, I will. :-)