Jump to topic:

Not the same ...

studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:04:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
As many other members have noticed, intellectual conversation is decreasing rapidly on this site. I've known that we've been getting a little "lighter" and slightly less "controversial" within the last several months, but it seems like discussion as a whole has simmered in a pot that hasn't been ignited for a lengthy duration.

Now, there is no point in putting blame on any person or people for this. It would be dumb and insignificant. A combination of relative inactivity by older, more experienced / wise members and a seemingly conformist anarchist / libertarian ideology of the younger members does not leave us with much to truly disagree upon. It seems like conversation has decreased in meaning and has increased in frivolity.

These are simple observations. One way we can improve is to bring back debates comparable to those of the past; the debates where both parties respected each other, spent noticeable time researching, and constructed logical argumentation. Also, it wouldn't kill us to instigate more threads that involve politics, societal policies, etc. I've been trying within the last several days to come up with a variety of topics, but it seems like the responses of other members is a little too expected.

Then again, this is merely my opinion. Thoughts?
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:09:30 PM
At 10/8/2010 8:04:50 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
As many other members have noticed, intellectual conversation is decreasing rapidly on this site. I've known that we've been getting a little "lighter" and slightly less "controversial" within the last several months, but it seems like discussion as a whole has simmered in a pot that hasn't been ignited for a lengthy duration.

Now, there is no point in putting blame on any person or people for this. It would be dumb and insignificant. A combination of relative inactivity by older, more experienced / wise members and a seemingly conformist anarchist / libertarian ideology of the younger members does not leave us with much to truly disagree upon. It seems like conversation has decreased in meaning and has increased in frivolity.

These are simple observations. One way we can improve is to bring back debates comparable to those of the past; the debates where both parties respected each other, spent noticeable time researching, and constructed logical argumentation. Also, it wouldn't kill us to instigate more threads that involve politics, societal policies, etc. I've been trying within the last several days to come up with a variety of topics, but it seems like the responses of other members is a little too expected.

Then again, this is merely my opinion. Thoughts?

KFC!
kfc
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:11:03 PM
I agree completely. The quality of the site has diminished unfortunately. What ever shall we do? i think we should have actual intellectual debates between high ranking members of the site. You know....spur some competition.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:11:44 PM
At 10/8/2010 8:11:03 PM, CiRrK wrote:
I agree completely. The quality of the site has diminished unfortunately. What ever shall we do? i think we should have actual intellectual debates between high ranking members of the site. You know....spur some competition.

I stated that in my OP. Thanks for the input.
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:12:54 PM
At 10/8/2010 8:11:44 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

no I mean actually set them up, not just talk about it on a forum ^_^
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:12:57 PM
One of the major factors is the fact that the main contributors of this site are either entering college, trying to finish college, or starting to enter the work world. Huge increase in responsibilities, time dedicated to other tasks, etc.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:13:21 PM
At 10/8/2010 8:12:54 PM, CiRrK wrote:

Agreed. I did state that in the OP as well ;)
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:13:42 PM
"One way we can improve is to bring back debates comparable to those of the past; the debates where both parties respected each other, spent noticeable time researching, and constructed logical argumentation."
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:14:10 PM
At 10/8/2010 8:13:21 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 10/8/2010 8:12:54 PM, CiRrK wrote:

Agreed. I did state that in the OP as well ;)

well then lets go smarty pants...I wanna see results :P
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:16:31 PM
Perhaps the problem is actually that we have run out of things to talk about and get called out on it when we make a thread which repeats an old one. We shouldn't be afraid to go over everything again. Fresh ideas would be even better. And I have no problem with controversy, we definitely need more controversy but what we really really don't need is going back to bickering and bigotry like we have had before with no respect. The amount of intellectual discussion has definitely gone down here but we have made large strides in civility, we must not lose that.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:16:32 PM
At 10/8/2010 8:10:38 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
That is certainly a response I expected.

Such a lack of respect, courtesy, and rejection of maturity.

Young one, you must grow up before you can see the logic of my ways.
kfc
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:26:31 PM
At 10/8/2010 8:10:38 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
That is certainly a response I expected.

Such a lack of respect, courtesy, and rejection of maturity.

Koopin is here for comic relief, not intellectual discussion.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:38:12 PM
At 10/8/2010 8:12:57 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
One of the major factors is the fact that the main contributors of this site are either entering college, trying to finish college, or starting to enter the work world. Huge increase in responsibilities, time dedicated to other tasks, etc.

Definitely.
And that those who would otherwise be main contributors to the site find themselves strapped by the same conditions.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 8:38:48 PM
At 10/8/2010 8:12:57 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

There aren't enough bells and whistles in the world to go off and announce how correct this statement is.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 9:13:25 PM
At 10/8/2010 8:04:50 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Now, there is no point in putting blame on any person or people for this.

I take full responsibility.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2010 9:20:31 PM
At 10/8/2010 8:13:42 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
"One way we can improve is to bring back debates comparable to those of the past; the debates where both parties respected each other, spent noticeable time researching, and constructed logical argumentation.":

Not everyone has time for it. We work, we go to school, we have families, we have lives outside of DDO. It's going to go through periods of inactivity and instability. Some of the old members won't ever really come back, some will. New people will join the fray, some will stay for awhile, others will fall by the wayside. This is the nature of forums in general. I've seen it many times.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 8:45:17 AM
Debate competition with some controversial topics? I think this is the natural waning of DDO around school time.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 9:08:10 AM
I agree that there is a lack of spark that once was here. I think that there is more homogeneity and that is the death knell to a site like this (look at YickYak).

The forums have become predictable and i feel less compelled to check. It isn't the level of intellect that we're dealing with, in fact some of the overly intellectualized threads lose their controversy and become, frankly boring. I think we should try being more innovative and daring in what we will start as a thread.

I also do understand that we're at our peak of work in both school and real world work. That's a major factor.

Question, is there a DDO group on facebook? NOt that it would solve anything, but i am just curious.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 9:14:14 AM
At 10/9/2010 9:08:10 AM, innomen wrote:
Question, is there a DDO group on facebook? NOt that it would solve anything, but i am just curious.

There is, and there's a fan page too...

Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com...

(it never got big cuz people never added anything)

Group: http://www.facebook.com...
President of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 9:19:09 AM
At 10/9/2010 9:14:14 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 10/9/2010 9:08:10 AM, innomen wrote:

There is, and there's a fan page too...

Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com...

(it never got big cuz people never added anything)

Group: http://www.facebook.com...

So i see, thank you.