Jump to topic:

What Do You Want in a President?

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:14:18 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
I think it's abundantly clear that this election has tapped into a deep and unsettled divide in the DDO community. No election since Mikal's has been this volatile and passionate. Despite everyone having nothing but praise for people like Bladerunner or bsh1, suddenly, a near-grassroots revolution seems to be unfolding.

So my question for you, as spoiled by the title, is this: What do you want to see in the DDO Presidency?

I've challenged every naysayer to debate the abolition of the DDO presidency. Only one has accepted. From this, we can conclude that most people do not wish for the presidency to go.

However, people frequently lament the presidency for being too weak, and now many users want to see it become even weaker, taking away the significance of official tournaments or site revival programs. And when, about a year ago, I advocated strengthening the presidency, no one wanted to do that either.

It's too weak but should be weaker. It should not be stronger. It should not be abolished.

People of DDO, what do you desire?
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:18:35 AM
German chocolate cake and a sweet bosnian man with a subtle style. le sigh face.
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:19:52 AM
While I appreciate the humor of these joke responses, I would like a serious discussion. The election has proven that this is a serious matter.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:20:21 AM
I'll vote for whomever makes me resident moderator of the economics forum.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:29:55 AM
I want someone to stir the pot.

I want controversy.

I want anger, passion, emotions, flame wars, hyped debates, tournaments, unique ideas and perspectives. I want Wylted.

I don't want rules and basic bitch political analysis.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:31:15 AM
At 12/13/2015 1:29:55 AM, thett3 wrote:
I want someone to stir the pot.

I want controversy.

I want anger, passion, emotions, flame wars, hyped debates, tournaments, unique ideas and perspectives. I want Wylted.

I don't want rules and basic bitch political analysis.

Thank you for a good answer.
So what, exactly, would the president's role in this be?
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:32:26 AM
At 12/13/2015 1:19:52 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
While I appreciate the humor of these joke responses, I would like a serious discussion. The election has proven that this is a serious matter.

From what I understand the divide is exactly that. "This is a serious matter," I don't think people are responding well to that; in fact they are resounding with wylteds almost tautological attitude of what will be will be, or something like that.

Simply because you think you've demonstrated the seriousness of the presidency. Committing the illogical observation of seeing what you want to see. And thus assuming you are in the right. I don't think there is any sort of argument to convince you. Discussion is therefore not only meaningless, but entirely futile.

Personally I think it's [the issue] interesting but not interesting enough to make me take a stance on one candidate.
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:33:59 AM
At 12/13/2015 1:14:18 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I think it's abundantly clear that this election has tapped into a deep and unsettled divide in the DDO community. No election since Mikal's has been this volatile and passionate. Despite everyone having nothing but praise for people like Bladerunner or bsh1, suddenly, a near-grassroots revolution seems to be unfolding.

So my question for you, as spoiled by the title, is this: What do you want to see in the DDO Presidency?

I've challenged every naysayer to debate the abolition of the DDO presidency. Only one has accepted. From this, we can conclude that most people do not wish for the presidency to go.

However, people frequently lament the presidency for being too weak, and now many users want to see it become even weaker, taking away the significance of official tournaments or site revival programs. And when, about a year ago, I advocated strengthening the presidency, no one wanted to do that either.

It's too weak but should be weaker. It should not be stronger. It should not be abolished.

I want someone who will make this website interesting. I guess it seems more that many of the older members have left and there aren't as many debates I'm interested in... or I'm just too busy to notice.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:35:11 AM
At 12/13/2015 1:32:26 AM, headphonegut wrote:

From what I understand the divide is exactly that. "This is a serious matter," I don't think people are responding well to that; in fact they are resounding with wylteds almost tautological attitude of what will be will be, or something like that.

I consider a discussion on what we should do to be serious, yes. If we need to change the entire thing, let's have it out. I'm open.

Simply because you think you've demonstrated the seriousness of the presidency. Committing the illogical observation of seeing what you want to see. And thus assuming you are in the right. I don't think there is any sort of argument to convince you. Discussion is therefore not only meaningless, but entirely futile.

Why would you think this? I stand for the community, not the presidency itself. If people would like to alter that to better reflect the community, I'm, again, perfectly open. This anger and unrest seems to have erupted out of nowhere.

Personally I think it's [the issue] interesting but not interesting enough to make me take a stance on one candidate.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:36:42 AM
At 12/13/2015 1:33:59 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

I want someone who will make this website interesting. I guess it seems more that many of the older members have left and there aren't as many debates I'm interested in... or I'm just too busy to notice.

How would someone go about doing that?
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:38:57 AM
It's not about being "stronger" or "weaker". It's about fulfilling the president's fundamental role -- being an ambassador to Juggle. Current circumstances disallow the president from fulfilling that role, which isn't their fault, but as long as the position is useless, we would appreciate it if they would quit pretending that they actually have any more influence than they otherwise would have as a regular member. Cuz they don't. And the pretending gets annoying. And sometimes it's even tangibly detrimental, in the case of the tournament regulations.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:39:47 AM
At 12/13/2015 1:36:42 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Good question. I can't think of an immediate answer to be honest. It's probably just me being lazy and busy and not paying enough attention to the debates that are going on... but I guess for me personally, bsh's presidency seems to have made the site more boring and less interesting. So I guess that's why I voted for Wylted.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:39:57 AM
At 12/13/2015 1:36:42 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

By being Wylted.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:40:10 AM

I want a President who can actually fix this website. This means, in a beautiful and ideal world, they can get Juggle to actually do something and improve this site mainly on a technical aspect. The things bsh did could easily just be organized by community members, and don't necessarily need the president besides maybe his/her seal of approval. The president knows what changes this site needs, but the majority of them require Juggle's cooperation and intervention, which seems like a distant dream now.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:40:25 AM
At 12/13/2015 1:35:11 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I consider a discussion on what we should do to be serious, yes. If we need to change the entire thing, let's have it out. I'm open.

Why would you think this? I stand for the community, not the presidency itself. If people would like to alter that to better reflect the community, I'm, again, perfectly open. This anger and unrest seems to have erupted out of nowhere.

Then I completely misunderstood your posts when you said the presidency was not only relevant, but essentially necessary. At least that's what I took from them [your posts] in the threads you were arguing pro presidency. Which leads me to believe this post is just pandering. For what? I have no idea. I assume you are trying to say whatever issues we [excluding me] have bsh1 can fix them?

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:43:11 AM
At 12/13/2015 1:40:25 AM, headphonegut wrote:

Then I completely misunderstood your posts when you said the presidency was not only relevant, but essentially necessary. At least that's what I took from them [your posts] in the threads you were arguing pro presidency. Which leads me to believe this post is just pandering. For what? I have no idea. I assume you are trying to say whatever issues we [excluding me] have bsh1 can fix them?

I said the presidency was a symbol of the community. I said it was vested with soft powers. Which it is, but only to the extent we believe in them. As this election has demonstrated, it looks like everyone decided to up and quit believing in them. So I would like to know what people do want.
No, I am not and never have campaigned for bsh1.

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:44:10 AM
At 12/13/2015 1:38:57 AM, Romanii wrote:
It's not about being "stronger" or "weaker". It's about fulfilling the president's fundamental role -- being an ambassador to Juggle. Current circumstances disallow the president from fulfilling that role, which isn't their fault, but as long as the position is useless, we would appreciate it if they would quit pretending that they actually have any more influence than they otherwise would have as a regular member. Cuz they don't. And the pretending gets annoying. And sometimes it's even tangibly detrimental, in the case of the tournament regulations.

Okay. Thank you.

So as long as Juggle remains nonresponsive, you believe the presidency is useless? Should it be suspended until Juggle decides to re-invest?
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 2:01:54 AM
At 12/13/2015 1:43:11 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I said the presidency was a symbol of the community. I said it was vested with soft powers. Which it is, but only to the extent we believe in them. As this election has demonstrated, it looks like everyone decided to up and quit believing in them. So I would like to know what people do want.

Okay. What is the problem you're seeing with moving away from this?

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 2:10:40 AM
At 12/13/2015 2:01:54 AM, headphonegut wrote:
At 12/13/2015 1:43:11 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Okay. What is the problem you're seeing with moving away from this?

Depends. What's the alternative? What are we moving to?

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 2:16:55 AM

*cough*
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 2:21:47 AM
Doesn't matter. Wylted isn't going to win anyway.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 2:23:22 AM
At 12/13/2015 1:44:10 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Okay. Thank you.

So as long as Juggle remains nonresponsive, you believe the presidency is useless? Should it be suspended until Juggle decides to re-invest?

I don't really care what happens to the presidency. Doesn't matter either way. As long as it doesn't continue being what it is now. I would be more interested in seeing discussion of solutions to the fundamental problem here -- Juggle's unresponsiveness. Wylted actually shared some interesting ideas to that end via PM. I hope he makes them public soon.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 2:24:15 AM
At 12/13/2015 2:21:47 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Regardless of the outcome, this matters. This unrest clearly reflects the desires of a significant percentage of the community. To me, it looks like people desire a laissez-faire, do-nothing presidency. Which is fine.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 2:26:09 AM

Let me ask you a question: would you vote for me or Wylted if Juggle were cooperative?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 2:26:15 AM
At 12/13/2015 2:23:22 AM, Romanii wrote:
At 12/13/2015 1:44:10 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Okay. Thank you.

I don't really care what happens to the presidency. Doesn't matter either way. As long as it doesn't continue being what it is now. I would be more interested in seeing discussion of solutions to the fundamental problem here -- Juggle's unresponsiveness. Wylted actually shared some interesting ideas to that end via PM. I hope he makes them public soon.

Well, that would be interesting to hear.

Why is such a bad thing to believe in a power of the presidency?
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 2:26:43 AM
At 12/13/2015 2:21:47 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

He might have been winning right now, if you damned third-party trolls had some foresight...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 2:28:21 AM
At 12/13/2015 2:26:09 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Let me ask you a question: would you vote for me or Wylted if Juggle were cooperative?
Wyled, no question.