Jump to topic:

What happened with this election

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:36:05 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
This election wasn't a referendum on Bsh personally for the vast majority of people involved. I don't even think it was about the presidency in general. It was about two conflicting worldviews: the 'let's be nice, organize things, and build friendships, and be polite' group and the more 'toughen up buttercup, I can dish it out and take it, let's just wing it and see what happens' types. The groundswell uprising happened because the first group is so completely and utterly dominant in the DDO landscape, and because the second group is entirely necessary to its intellectual vitality.

The first group gained power, I believe, a little under two years ago, when the 'personal insults' part of the TOS was first enforced with more stringency, and cultural hallmarks of the site like the weekly stupid collapsed. As often happens, the more abstract value which these self-policing institutions, and the general atmosphere of boisterous camaraderie, contributed to the site was drastically, drastically underestimated. And the benefit of becoming more civil, more respectful, and more organized were overestimated: conflicts which would once erupt sporadically in flame wars and then petered out didn't go away, they just festered, with passive-aggression being the only acceptable outlet for interpersonal conflict or just plain dislike. Cliques formed, and I've seen some of the nastiness that goes on behind the veil: a flame war is very much preferable, because both outrage and sympathy are forthcoming and, most importantly, because it is cathartic as opposed to repressive.

This election was a schism, a violent rejection of an order which, while it may look pretty at first sight, coddles and weakens those with potential and serves to enable passive aggression. Bsh1 didn't create this 'kinder, gentler world 'order, but he was treated as a symbol of it because he does embody so many of its characteristics. And of course those characteristics are not inherently bad; it is the suffocating preponderance of this worldview, and not the worldview itself, which incites such violent rebellion. This election was tied because the more anarchic elements of DDO are still strong; they just want a chance to reestablish themselves. And the tragedy for those on the other side is that their standard toolbox for addressing problems is completely impotent to address this one: no policy, committee, or conference will help a group which feels smothered by rules and regulations. An arsonist has no use for a hammer, nails, and planks.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:40:20 AM
"An arsonist has no use for a hammer, nails, and planks."

This is the most poetic summation of the election I've seen.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:41:23 AM
This. Skep, you're much more articulate than I but you always manage to explain exactly what's going on in my head
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:41:55 AM
Jesus fck, Skep is the one of the most articulate fckers I've ever met.

Like, really, we should just lynch him out of envy.

VTL Skep
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:43:07 AM
At 12/14/2015 3:42:44 AM, Romanii wrote:
Spot on.

Put your vote on Skep right now, or you're next.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:45:28 AM
At 12/14/2015 3:36:05 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I want to hear you speak.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:47:28 AM
I think that the number of people that voted Wylted for the reasons you stated are very much a minority of those voters.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:49:22 AM
At 12/14/2015 3:40:56 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
Wylted

The dream lives.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:50:31 AM
At 12/14/2015 3:47:28 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I think that the number of people that voted Wylted for the reasons you stated are very much a minority of those voters.

Why? You have the most important contributors to his campaign in this thread right now, agreeing with this assessment of their views.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:51:06 AM
At 12/14/2015 3:41:23 AM, thett3 wrote:
This. Skep, you're much more articulate than I but you always manage to explain exactly what's going on in my head

Aw shucks *blushes*
- Hilaire Belloc -
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:51:22 AM
This election wasn't a referendum on Bsh personally for the vast majority of people involved. I don't even think it was about the presidency in general. It was about two conflicting worldviews: the 'let's be nice, organize things, and build friendships, and be polite' group and the more 'toughen up buttercup, I can dish it out and take it, let's just wing it and see what happens' types. The groundswell uprising happened because the first group is so completely and utterly dominant in the DDO landscape, and because the second group is entirely necessary to its intellectual vitality.

The first group gained power, I believe, a little under two years ago, when the 'personal insults' part of the TOS was first enforced with more stringency, and cultural hallmarks of the site like the weekly stupid collapsed. As often happens, the more abstract value which these self-policing institutions, and the general atmosphere of boisterous camaraderie, contributed to the site was drastically, drastically underestimated. And the benefit of becoming more civil, more respectful, and more organized were overestimated: conflicts which would once erupt sporadically in flame wars and then petered out didn't go away, they just festered, with passive-aggression being the only acceptable outlet for interpersonal conflict or just plain dislike. Cliques formed, and I've seen some of the nastiness that goes on behind the veil: a flame war is very much preferable, because both outrage and sympathy are forthcoming and, most importantly, because it is cathartic as opposed to repressive.

This election was a schism, a violent rejection of an order which, while it may look pretty at first sight, coddles and weakens those with potential and serves to enable passive aggression. Bsh1 didn't create this 'kinder, gentler world 'order, but he was treated as a symbol of it because he does embody so many of its characteristics. And of course those characteristics are not inherently bad; it is the suffocating preponderance of this worldview, and not the worldview itself, which incites such violent rebellion. This election was tied because the more anarchic elements of DDO are still strong; they just want a chance to reestablish themselves. And the tragedy for those on the other side is that their standard toolbox for addressing problems is completely impotent to address this one: no policy, committee, or conference will help a group which feels smothered by rules and regulations. An arsonist has no use for a hammer, nails, and planks.

No one but me voted for airmax. That's what happened.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:51:57 AM
At 12/14/2015 3:51:06 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Aw shucks *blushes*

Except your godless heathen religious views. You'd make a great Christian apologist, but instead you'd rather burn
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:55:29 AM

So what you're saying was that I was right 2 years ago back when Max enforced the personal insults thing and I, along with Bench, got megapissed?
#FeeltheFreezerBern
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:55:43 AM
At 12/14/2015 3:50:31 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Why? You have the most important contributors to his campaign in this thread right now, agreeing with this assessment of their views.

You aren't his most important contributors. You're his smartest supporters, I think - and you're also the only ones who, while you started with trolling a bit, actually had an underlying reason. I can't say that the people that just wanted to be the ones to "make it interesting" in the last hour had a legitimate reason - nor do I think the majority of the people Wylted asked to vote for him who ended up doing so thought it out as you have.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:03:42 AM
I legitimately think that a step in the right direction is to let Imabench do the weekly stupid again
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:06:37 AM
An arsonist has no use for a hammer, nails, and planks.

You should write a book called "Analogies with Skepsikyma"
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:08:04 AM
At 12/14/2015 3:55:29 AM, daytonanerd wrote:

So what you're saying was that I was right 2 years ago back when Max enforced the personal insults thing and I, along with Bench, got megapissed?

Um, yeah. I was megapissed as well, remember? I mellowed out about it since then, but I was firmly anti when it went through.
- Hilaire Belloc -
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:08:17 AM
At 12/14/2015 4:03:42 AM, thett3 wrote:
I legitimately think that a step in the right direction is to let Imabench do the weekly stupid again

+1
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:09:11 AM
At 12/14/2015 4:03:42 AM, thett3 wrote:

Actually, I do to. Also, make the 'misc' forum exempt from the no insults rule. Just have an 'enter at your own risk' subforum. Then he could post it there.
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:09:29 AM
*too
- Hilaire Belloc -
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:10:15 AM
At 12/14/2015 4:06:37 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
An arsonist has no use for a hammer, nails, and planks.

You should write a book called "Analogies with Skepsikyma"

Seconded.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:11:19 AM
At 12/14/2015 3:51:57 AM, thett3 wrote:

Aw shucks *blushes*

Except your godless heathen religious views. You'd make a great Christian apologist, but instead you'd rather burn

Haha, I actually end up being a Christian apologist sometimes, because I get sick of dumb atheist arguments. So I end up playing devil's advocate (well, I guess a more proper term in this case is 'Jesus's advocate').
- Hilaire Belloc -
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:13:43 AM
At 12/14/2015 4:11:19 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/14/2015 3:51:57 AM, thett3 wrote:

Aw shucks *blushes*

Haha, I actually end up being a Christian apologist sometimes, because I get sick of dumb atheist arguments. So I end up playing devil's advocate (well, I guess a more proper term in this case is 'Jesus's advocate').

Fight the power http://img.ifcdn.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:21:32 AM
passive-aggression

I feel like taking credit for the popularity of this word today.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:22:16 AM
At 12/14/2015 4:21:32 AM, lamerde wrote:
passive-aggression

I feel like taking credit for the popularity of this word today.

Lol.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:24:15 AM
At 12/14/2015 4:08:04 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 12/14/2015 3:55:29 AM, daytonanerd wrote:

Um, yeah. I was megapissed as well, remember? I mellowed out about it since then, but I was firmly anti when it went through.

Oh yeah, that's right, you too were on my side, buddy. Jeez, the memories sort of get shaken up after a while. I'm still kind of pissed about it.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:25:27 AM
At 12/14/2015 3:55:43 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/14/2015 3:50:31 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

You aren't his most important contributors. You're his smartest supporters, I think - and you're also the only ones who, while you started with trolling a bit, actually had an underlying reason. I can't say that the people that just wanted to be the ones to "make it interesting" in the last hour had a legitimate reason - nor do I think the majority of the people Wylted asked to vote for him who ended up doing so thought it out as you have.

So why do you think that other people voted for Wylted? Because Bsh1 is just SUCH an abrasive @sshole? /sarcasm

I honestly don't know what you think the agenda of the opposition was if it wasn't this.
- Hilaire Belloc -