Jump to topic:

Thoughts on the Presidency

Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 9:58:06 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
I think it's amazing how a simple online community centered around debate has organized itself so well. I don't know of any other site has such an extensive political culture as this one, and I find our willingness to come together and to organize such events is very unique and, in my humble opinion, very impressive.

I can't help but be saddened when I see people going out of their way to destroy this nice thing that we as a community have fostered together.
We shouldn't have a presidency because of drama? That's like saying we shouldn't abolish slavery in order to prevent dissidence from proponents of slavery. I think what matters is that the presidency is inherently designed to do good (and that it does do good). It recognizes exceptional members from among our community and motivates them to do more to make this site enjoyable. By electing them in a democratic process, we are telling these members that this community supports them. The candidate with the platform/campaign that sits well with the majority of voters will be the one who is elected. I don't think that's wrong. I think it's a great thing we have here, and I enjoy it.
We shouldn't measure the presidency (or most anything for that matter) by the level of dissent against it. Think about it. Dissenting against the presidency because of the existence of dissent (the source of drama). Isn't that kind of circular and self-serving?
Who cares if the president has no actuarial power?
The power of the DDO presidency is very much like a social contract. What power the presidency has depends on the measure of power we are willing to give it. We don't really have the power to enforce anything (i.e. limiting the number of tournaments or mafia games running at once), but there is power in numbers. The president is more a facilitator whose power rests in the level of support we give him in the various projects and endeavors that he motions to do.
His power as a representative also lies in the number of people he represents. The more who believe that the president to be their representative, the more impact his position will have.
I say there really is no compelling reason why we shouldn't have a president. It's DDO culture. It's fun. I love what we have here, and I'm sure there are others who share my opinion. Indulge us and you shall be similarly loved. ^-^
Senpai has noticed you.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 5:07:39 AM
At 12/15/2015 9:58:21 PM, Beginner wrote:
tldr; I support the presidency because reasons.

+1
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 2:12:29 PM
At 12/15/2015 9:58:06 PM, Beginner wrote:
I think it's amazing how a simple online community centered around debate has organized itself so well. I don't know of any other site has such an extensive political culture as this one, and I find our willingness to come together and to organize such events is very unique and, in my humble opinion, very impressive.

I can't help but be saddened when I see people going out of their way to destroy this nice thing that we as a community have fostered together.
We shouldn't have a presidency because of drama? That's like saying we shouldn't abolish slavery in order to prevent dissidence from proponents of slavery. I think what matters is that the presidency is inherently designed to do good (and that it does do good). It recognizes exceptional members from among our community and motivates them to do more to make this site enjoyable. By electing them in a democratic process, we are telling these members that this community supports them. The candidate with the platform/campaign that sits well with the majority of voters will be the one who is elected. I don't think that's wrong. I think it's a great thing we have here, and I enjoy it.
We shouldn't measure the presidency (or most anything for that matter) by the level of dissent against it. Think about it. Dissenting against the presidency because of the existence of dissent (the source of drama). Isn't that kind of circular and self-serving?
Who cares if the president has no actuarial power?
The power of the DDO presidency is very much like a social contract. What power the presidency has depends on the measure of power we are willing to give it. We don't really have the power to enforce anything (i.e. limiting the number of tournaments or mafia games running at once), but there is power in numbers. The president is more a facilitator whose power rests in the level of support we give him in the various projects and endeavors that he motions to do.
His power as a representative also lies in the number of people he represents. The more who believe that the president to be their representative, the more impact his position will have.
I say there really is no compelling reason why we shouldn't have a president. It's DDO culture. It's fun. I love what we have here, and I'm sure there are others who share my opinion. Indulge us and you shall be similarly loved. ^-^

I was thinking of putting together a comprehensive article on why the presidency should remain, just because I can and I won't have anything to do after finals today. So I'm quoting you. And a few others. But yeah, you too.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...