Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Public Forum Debate

emily_vt
Posts: 1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 12:34:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'd really like to start debating some virtual public forum on this site.
I'm new to this site, so I was just wondering if anyone is into that sort of thing on here.
It's the only debate team I have access to through my High School and I think it's an interesting format that could easily be adapted to debate.org!
Thoughts?
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 12:39:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://www.debate.org...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
CiRrK
Posts: 670
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 12:39:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 12:34:58 PM, emily_vt wrote:
I'd really like to start debating some virtual public forum on this site.
I'm new to this site, so I was just wondering if anyone is into that sort of thing on here.
It's the only debate team I have access to through my High School and I think it's an interesting format that could easily be adapted to debate.org!
Thoughts?

Having a strictly PF format would not go well because of the emphasis on Crossfire. However some type of team format would be nice. Probably like a Policy format but without the CX and the 2 Constructive Speeches. At least thats what I would like to see
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 12:41:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 12:39:01 PM, Korashk wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

or just make a forum topic. Nothing organized is very plausible.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
CiRrK
Posts: 670
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 12:43:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 12:41:32 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 10/11/2010 12:39:01 PM, Korashk wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

or just make a forum topic. Nothing organized is very plausible.

radical features have been added before, so adding a format for Team wouldnt be too out there as a concept for the site.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 12:44:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 12:43:32 PM, CiRrK wrote:
At 10/11/2010 12:41:32 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 10/11/2010 12:39:01 PM, Korashk wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

or just make a forum topic. Nothing organized is very plausible.

radical features have been added before, so adding a format for Team wouldnt be too out there as a concept for the site.

As a concept, sure.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 1:49:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 12:45:55 PM, CiRrK wrote:
oh and PF topics always suck. They are never thought out well

I disagree. Some are thought out well, but the past two topics haven't been great.

I would recommend starting a debate using debate.org's normal format. Keep in mind that if you speak second, you should take advantage of the opportunity to start attacking your opponent's case, instead of simply stating your own case, as is the PF tradition.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
CiRrK
Posts: 670
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 2:17:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 1:49:33 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 10/11/2010 12:45:55 PM, CiRrK wrote:
oh and PF topics always suck. They are never thought out well

I disagree. Some are thought out well, but the past two topics haven't been great.

I would recommend starting a debate using debate.org's normal format. Keep in mind that if you speak second, you should take advantage of the opportunity to start attacking your opponent's case, instead of simply stating your own case, as is the PF tradition.

Yes, some ideas are good, but since PF lacks a specific route of advocacy, like LD is the ethical value of X action and policy is implementation of X, PF always comes up short argumentation wise.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 6:38:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 10/11/2010 2:17:47 PM, CiRrK wrote:
At 10/11/2010 1:49:33 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 10/11/2010 12:45:55 PM, CiRrK wrote:
oh and PF topics always suck. They are never thought out well

I disagree. Some are thought out well, but the past two topics haven't been great.

I would recommend starting a debate using debate.org's normal format. Keep in mind that if you speak second, you should take advantage of the opportunity to start attacking your opponent's case, instead of simply stating your own case, as is the PF tradition.

Yes, some ideas are good, but since PF lacks a specific route of advocacy, like LD is the ethical value of X action and policy is implementation of X, PF always comes up short argumentation wise.

Which leaves room open for the intelligent and cunning to set up smart and abusive frameworks and weighing mechanisms.

Lol, I had an idea for how you could do "crossfire" on this site. Record a three-minute skype "crossfire," post on youtube, then link to it for one of the "rounds."
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)