Jump to topic:

Mock trial debates!

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 8:10:00 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
So this is something that I think would be a way fun idea. We had a concept in the games forum a while back called "trial by jury". It was a really fun game, but because of it"s nature it borders the line of being debate worthy. I would like to re-introduce this idea, but make it debate oriented. The two successful games where this was done before were very fun!

Here is my idea of how it would work. Someone get"s to be the mod of the court case. The mod has a huge role in this, as he is not just orchestrating a tournament, he is creating an entire crime scene (doesn"t have to be a criminal case, those are just the most intense and fun in my opinion). The mod will create a murder scene (or theft, bank robbery, etc), and there will be witnesses. The mod will have to be extremely thorough in creating evidence for the case, time stamps, and items, etc. The true nature of all the events will be known and created by the mod prior to him posting sign ups. Then the mod will choose two debaters (or let them sign up for it or apply) for the spot. The initial phase will be the investigation phase. Both the defense attorney and the offense attorney will be able to act as detectives. They can question witnesses (the mod will provide all answers to questions as they happen). The prosecutor will get the opportunity to test any items found at the crime scene that he thinks is applicable, and the mod will give results there-of. The mock trial isn"t designed to have a set outcome, and should be aimed at having multiple suspects that could have carried out the crime. If the prosecutor doesn"t execute all the questions during the investigation phase, then he loses out on whatever evidence he disregarded. Witnesses don"t have to necessarily tell the truth. It will be up to the attorney"s to determine the efficiency of their answers.

A public thread will be made where both attorneys can question witnesses and gather evidence. After a few days (or whatever length of time is deemed necessary for the pre-trial phase), the thread will be closed and the debate portion will begin. Both debaters will now have a chance to present their case and arguments in a physical debate. After the debate has concluded, it will be up to a team of jurors to decide the outcome of the trial (voters). Jurors will be able to sign up at the sign up threads" start.

Is anyone interested in this concept? If so I will host the first mock trial debate.
You can apply here, and if we go through with this, I will select who I think the best candidates are (feel free to add spots if these fill).

Attorney applicants

Jurors

"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
EverlastingMoment
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 8:25:26 PM
At 12/20/2015 8:10:00 PM, TUF wrote:
So this is something that I think would be a way fun idea. We had a concept in the games forum a while back called "trial by jury". It was a really fun game, but because of it"s nature it borders the line of being debate worthy. I would like to re-introduce this idea, but make it debate oriented. The two successful games where this was done before were very fun!

Here is my idea of how it would work. Someone get"s to be the mod of the court case. The mod has a huge role in this, as he is not just orchestrating a tournament, he is creating an entire crime scene (doesn"t have to be a criminal case, those are just the most intense and fun in my opinion). The mod will create a murder scene (or theft, bank robbery, etc), and there will be witnesses. The mod will have to be extremely thorough in creating evidence for the case, time stamps, and items, etc. The true nature of all the events will be known and created by the mod prior to him posting sign ups. Then the mod will choose two debaters (or let them sign up for it or apply) for the spot. The initial phase will be the investigation phase. Both the defense attorney and the offense attorney will be able to act as detectives. They can question witnesses (the mod will provide all answers to questions as they happen). The prosecutor will get the opportunity to test any items found at the crime scene that he thinks is applicable, and the mod will give results there-of. The mock trial isn"t designed to have a set outcome, and should be aimed at having multiple suspects that could have carried out the crime. If the prosecutor doesn"t execute all the questions during the investigation phase, then he loses out on whatever evidence he disregarded. Witnesses don"t have to necessarily tell the truth. It will be up to the attorney"s to determine the efficiency of their answers.

A public thread will be made where both attorneys can question witnesses and gather evidence. After a few days (or whatever length of time is deemed necessary for the pre-trial phase), the thread will be closed and the debate portion will begin. Both debaters will now have a chance to present their case and arguments in a physical debate. After the debate has concluded, it will be up to a team of jurors to decide the outcome of the trial (voters). Jurors will be able to sign up at the sign up threads" start.

Is anyone interested in this concept? If so I will host the first mock trial debate.
You can apply here, and if we go through with this, I will select who I think the best candidates are (feel free to add spots if these fill).

Attorney applicants

1. EverlastingMomemt

Jurors

I like it. Meow.
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 8:33:39 PM
At 12/20/2015 8:25:26 PM, EverlastingMoment wrote:

Attorney applicants

1. EverlastingMomemt
2. TheProphett

Jurors

I like it. Meow.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 8:46:54 PM

Attorney applicants

Jurors

1. Mikal
Stefanwaal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 9:09:27 PM
Attorney applicants

1. EverlastingMoment
2. TheProphett
3. Stefanwaal

Jurors

1. Mikal

So there will be only one defence attorney and only one prosecutor? Why not have multiple of each and let them work together?
Forever23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 4:09:01 PM
At 12/20/2015 9:09:27 PM, Stefanwaal wrote:
Attorney applicants

1. EverlastingMoment
2. TheProphett
3. Stefanwaal
4. Forever23

Jurors

1. Mikal

So there will be only one defence attorney and only one prosecutor? Why not have multiple of each and let them work together?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 10:32:46 PM
At 12/21/2015 10:31:49 PM, Raisor wrote:
Dang just missed an attorney slot...

Same
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 11:41:12 PM
Attorney applicants
1. EverlastingMoment
2. TheProphett
3. Stefanwaal
4. Forever23

Jurors
1. Mikal
2. Solon
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 12:02:29 AM

You guys can add spots. As I said in the OP, feel free to add spots. It is more of an application, where I will pick the two people I think are willing to go through all the way with it.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 12:03:50 AM
At 12/20/2015 9:09:27 PM, Stefanwaal wrote:

I did this before in the forum game version of this. In the end, collaboration between the multiple attorney's seem to collapse and it ended up just being a debate between the two attorney's who stole all the thunder.
spacetime
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 5:59:45 AM
At 12/21/2015 11:41:12 PM, SolonKR wrote:
Attorney applicants
1. EverlastingMoment
2. TheProphett
3. Stefanwaal
4. Forever23
5. Raisor
6. Imabench

Jurors
1. Mikal
2. SolonKR
3. Spacetime
Call me King Pootie Tang.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 6:35:55 AM
At 12/22/2015 12:02:29 AM, TUF wrote:

You guys can add spots. As I said in the OP, feel free to add spots. It is more of an application, where I will pick the two people I think are willing to go through all the way with it.

Oh f*ck yeah then sign me up!
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015