Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

The difference between ad hom and an insult

UtherPenguin
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2015 11:14:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
An ad hominem is not the same as just any other insult. I see this happen a few times before on this site and else, an argument occurs, one guy insults the other, and the next person yells out "ad hominem"

Insults and ad hominems are both personal attacks, but an ad hominem is a personal attack disguised as an argument. An ad hominem takes the logic of an argument, and applies it to an insult.

For example. This would be an ad hominem:

Speaker A: I believe squirells should be illegal.

Speaker B: COming from the guy who likes chipmunks. You are wrong ebcause you are a chipmunk.

This is not an ad hominem:

Speaker A: All guns are secretly gay.

Speaker B
: You're Stupid.

Speaker A: Is dat a fallacy I hear? #GetRekt

An ad hominem is an argument, an insult is just that, an insult. It only becomes an ad hominem when you use that as an argument.
Man with one chopstick go hungry
-Siddhartha Gautama
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 12:04:06 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2015 11:14:51 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
An ad hominem is not the same as just any other insult. I see this happen a few times before on this site and else, an argument occurs, one guy insults the other, and the next person yells out "ad hominem"

Insults and ad hominems are both personal attacks, but an ad hominem is a personal attack disguised as an argument. An ad hominem takes the logic of an argument, and applies it to an insult.

For example. This would be an ad hominem:

Speaker A: I believe squirells should be illegal.

Speaker B: COming from the guy who likes chipmunks. You are wrong ebcause you are a chipmunk.

This is not an ad hominem:

Speaker A: All guns are secretly gay.

Speaker B
: You're Stupid.

Speaker A: Is dat a fallacy I hear? #GetRekt


An ad hominem is an argument, an insult is just that, an insult. It only becomes an ad hominem when you use that as an argument.

All Penguin are wimp. You UtherPenguin are not only a wimp, but a nut too.
UtherPenguin
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 12:06:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/21/2015 12:04:06 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/20/2015 11:14:51 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
An ad hominem is not the same as just any other insult. I see this happen a few times before on this site and else, an argument occurs, one guy insults the other, and the next person yells out "ad hominem"

Insults and ad hominems are both personal attacks, but an ad hominem is a personal attack disguised as an argument. An ad hominem takes the logic of an argument, and applies it to an insult.

For example. This would be an ad hominem:

Speaker A: I believe squirells should be illegal.

Speaker B: COming from the guy who likes chipmunks. You are wrong ebcause you are a chipmunk.

This is not an ad hominem:

Speaker A: All guns are secretly gay.

Speaker B
: You're Stupid.

Speaker A: Is dat a fallacy I hear? #GetRekt


An ad hominem is an argument, an insult is just that, an insult. It only becomes an ad hominem when you use that as an argument.

All Penguin are wimp. You UtherPenguin are not only a wimp, but a nut too.

http://searchengineland.com...
Man with one chopstick go hungry
-Siddhartha Gautama
KingofEverything
Posts: 590
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 12:09:21 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2015 11:14:51 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
An ad hominem is not the same as just any other insult. I see this happen a few times before on this site and else, an argument occurs, one guy insults the other, and the next person yells out "ad hominem"

Insults and ad hominems are both personal attacks, but an ad hominem is a personal attack disguised as an argument. An ad hominem takes the logic of an argument, and applies it to an insult.

For example. This would be an ad hominem:

Speaker A: I believe squirells should be illegal.

Speaker B: COming from the guy who likes chipmunks. You are wrong ebcause you are a chipmunk.

This is not an ad hominem:

Speaker A: All guns are secretly gay.

Speaker B
: You're Stupid.

Speaker A: Is dat a fallacy I hear? #GetRekt


An ad hominem is an argument, an insult is just that, an insult. It only becomes an ad hominem when you use that as an argument.

What about an ad homisult?
You're sweet. Thank you :) <3 -ESocial

I am sorry Debate.org -KingofEverything

You guys can stop the circlejerk started around the election. It stopped being funny faster than Mirza's anti-American rants. -Jonbonbon

It's like when the kid who makes an ugly sand castle on the beach goes and tries to kick down someone else's sand castle because he couldn't make one as good as that. -YYW
Jonbonbon
Posts: 3,042
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 6:57:52 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2015 11:14:51 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
An ad hominem is not the same as just any other insult. I see this happen a few times before on this site and else, an argument occurs, one guy insults the other, and the next person yells out "ad hominem"

Insults and ad hominems are both personal attacks, but an ad hominem is a personal attack disguised as an argument. An ad hominem takes the logic of an argument, and applies it to an insult.

For example. This would be an ad hominem:

Speaker A: I believe squirells should be illegal.

Speaker B: COming from the guy who likes chipmunks. You are wrong ebcause you are a chipmunk.

This is not an ad hominem:

Speaker A: All guns are secretly gay.

Speaker B
: You're Stupid.

Speaker A: Is dat a fallacy I hear? #GetRekt


An ad hominem is an argument, an insult is just that, an insult. It only becomes an ad hominem when you use that as an argument.

What would you know about the difference between logical fallacies and crappy personalities? You're just a penguin. Go sit on your ice block and think about what you just said.
[Censored by Airmax]

Writing Queen of DDO

Check out the latest episode of Nautilus:
http://www.debate.org...

It's a great series... some say

If you want to see the trailer for my movie, go here:
http://www.debate.org...

"This is all just propaganda," Airmax

"Oops wrong account," UtherPenguin
n7
Posts: 1,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 8:29:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Technically ad hominem means "to the person" so an insult and an ad hominem attack are the same thing. You are bringing up the differences between an ad hominem fallacy and an insult.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Envisage
Posts: 3,648
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2015 2:40:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 12/20/2015 11:14:51 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
An ad hominem is not the same as just any other insult. I see this happen a few times before on this site and else, an argument occurs, one guy insults the other, and the next person yells out "ad hominem"

Insults and ad hominems are both personal attacks, but an ad hominem is a personal attack disguised as an argument. An ad hominem takes the logic of an argument, and applies it to an insult.

For example. This would be an ad hominem:

Speaker A: I believe squirells should be illegal.

Speaker B: COming from the guy who likes chipmunks. You are wrong ebcause you are a chipmunk.

This is not an ad hominem:

Speaker A: All guns are secretly gay.

Speaker B
: You're Stupid.

Speaker A: Is dat a fallacy I hear? #GetRekt


An ad hominem is an argument, an insult is just that, an insult. It only becomes an ad hominem when you use that as an argument.

Your argument here in invalid because you have made incorrect arguments in the past.

^^^
THAT was ad homenum - yet it wasn't a personal attack.