Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

New Forum : No Personal Conduct (To Be Named)

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 12:53:31 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
This is an idea I've just recently seen, and like. I want to open this up for discussion on possibly how to manage or moderate this forum, to see where this discussion goes. My ideas personally on how this should be moderate are as follows.

*Anyone that posts in this forum, acknowledges and agrees that all conduct in this forum is separated from the site conduct policy
*Personal attacks against other members who chose not to participate in this forum are not allowed and shall have the same consequence as normal
*Rants, Attacks, Adhoms, are limited to this forum only

The entire issue is how to handle flame wars when people voluntarily participate in this thread and when they should stop. I think the best way to handle it is allow flame wars to happen and generally be contained to the one thread where they started, or just this forum only. If you see both parties participating in the flame war, it's a general consensus that it's okay and should be allowed. If you see one person attacking someone and the other member says "stop", then that is where moderation draws a line. If you see one member ask another member to stop, and they don't then the issue should be moderated as normal

Basically this forum is just for people that wish to rant, rage, and generally participate in conduct that is normally not allowed and do this under a dual consensus from both members.

At least that is my take on a basic outline.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 3:15:56 AM
At 12/21/2015 12:53:31 AM, Mikal wrote:
This is an idea I've just recently seen, and like. I want to open this up for discussion on possibly how to manage or moderate this forum, to see where this discussion goes. My ideas personally on how this should be moderate are as follows.

*Anyone that posts in this forum, acknowledges and agrees that all conduct in this forum is separated from the site conduct policy
*Personal attacks against other members who chose not to participate in this forum are not allowed and shall have the same consequence as normal

The entire issue is how to handle flame wars when people voluntarily participate in this thread and when they should stop. I think the best way to handle it is allow flame wars to happen and generally be contained to the one thread where they started, or just this forum only. If you see both parties participating in the flame war, it's a general consensus that it's okay and should be allowed. If you see one person attacking someone and the other member says "stop", then that is where moderation draws a line. If you see one member ask another member to stop, and they don't then the issue should be moderated as normal

Basically this forum is just for people that wish to rant, rage, and generally participate in conduct that is normally not allowed and do this under a dual consensus from both members.

Nigga, you a ho.
Tsar of DDO
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 6:55:10 AM

Your idea is bad, and you should feel bad, dumbass.

;P
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 8:23:33 AM

Let the purge begin............
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 5:53:19 PM

You would get monumental flame wars there, but the trolls will still infect the other boards. So what would be the point?

Most of our trolls are young and immature. It's no fun for them if the action is allowed. Piercing your nose and dyeing your hair orange is only good if it makes mom/teacher/policeman/judge/government/God upset. That is why trolls will spray paint "God is dead" on a church and not on the planned parenthood office across the street.

Are you trying to coral the trolls or do you just enjoy flame wars? If the former, it won't make a bit of difference.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 5:55:36 PM
Flame wars can and will happen no matter what. The more people that can't rage or just act in a way they normally would react to something, actually causes them to build up crap. Stuff builds up and eventually it comes out in a drastically negative way. Allowing a forum for people to rant and vent helps stop that, and maintains it to that one forum where it would be permitted
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 7:05:43 PM
At 12/21/2015 7:04:52 PM, Raisor wrote:
Oh neat, a Purge forum.

Lol.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 8:46:57 PM

Here is my problem with the concept.

So. I get into an argument with you, a very heated argument. We are pissed. WAIT!!! Go on over to the other thread in the open forum so I can insult you without repercussion.

I just don't see how that works. Arguments happen. They happen in context of discussion, not as a island in a thread created for the argument.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 9:55:33 PM
At 12/21/2015 8:46:57 PM, TBR wrote:

So. I get into an argument with you, a very heated argument. We are pissed. WAIT!!! Go on over to the other thread in the open forum so I can insult you without repercussion.

I just don't see how that works. Arguments happen. They happen in context of discussion, not as a island in a thread created for the argument.

If you ask him me to stop then there would be consequences
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 10:28:38 PM
At 12/21/2015 9:55:33 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 12/21/2015 8:46:57 PM, TBR wrote:

If you ask him me to stop then there would be consequences

How about a safe word. Really want some language frm being used. Call "banana"
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 10:30:59 PM
At 12/21/2015 10:28:38 PM, TBR wrote:

How about a safe word. Really want some language from being used? Call "banana"

Better yet, have the safe word be a safe phrase, and make it a really good insult, so that when you want the bad language to stop, it sounds like youre just adding to the flame war
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 6:23:49 AM
I'm a big fan of this idea, and I don't think that it would end up being a 'troll center' because of DDO's site culture. The people at the top of the food chain in the free-for-all zone would be witty and intelligent people with a bit of a bite to their rhetoric, like Drafterman before the conduct policy was enforced. Far from becoming a haven for trolls, it would be a place in which trolls would be brutally abused, considering how minimally exceptional many of them tend to be.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 11:32:20 PM

In other words it's a troll forum
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%