Jump to topic:

Anyone here who does NPDA?

picsbad
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 2:53:36 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I am an NPDA parli debater on winter break. If anyone else here has done NPDA debate, I would welcome the opportunity to have a pseudo-NPDA style debate, using the type of arguments we use in NPDA but in a less technical way so it would be accessible to members of the site who have not done NPDA. It would be a good way to test and develop arguments for real NPDA tournaments. Any argument that could be used in NPDA (i.e. topicality, counterplan, kritik) would be fair game.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 3:21:26 AM
At 12/23/2015 2:53:36 AM, picsbad wrote:
I am an NPDA parli debater on winter break. If anyone else here has done NPDA debate, I would welcome the opportunity to have a pseudo-NPDA style debate, using the type of arguments we use in NPDA but in a less technical way so it would be accessible to members of the site who have not done NPDA. It would be a good way to test and develop arguments for real NPDA tournaments. Any argument that could be used in NPDA (i.e. topicality, counterplan, kritik) would be fair game.

I did participate for 4 years when I was an undergraduate student. Personally, I'd prefer to do it in a more British Parliamentary style, but if you'd like to discuss it, we could.
picsbad
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 3:24:37 AM
At 12/23/2015 3:21:26 AM, whiteflame wrote:

I did participate for 4 years when I was an undergraduate student. Personally, I'd prefer to do it in a more British Parliamentary style, but if you'd like to discuss it, we could.

Can you tell me about the differences between NPDA and British Parliamentary Debate?
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2015 3:27:52 AM
At 12/23/2015 3:24:37 AM, picsbad wrote:
At 12/23/2015 3:21:26 AM, whiteflame wrote:

Can you tell me about the differences between NPDA and British Parliamentary Debate?

Formality, technicality and, in competition, speed. The former 2 are the only ones that will apply. Essentially, argument structure is far more open under BP, where you're allowed to decide how to present your information. Also, it's not line-by-line, since the goal is to make great points and win the debate holistically. Technicalities such as topicalities and Kritiks aren't a part of it, either.