Jump to topic:

Newbie Protection

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 6:56:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
There should be an option to limit debate challenges OTHER than to people who are above your ranking.

Newbie comes on the site, learns how to post a debate, gets challenged by a senior member, gets discouraged when he or she loses. Will try again, get beat by yet another senior member, so on and so forth until he or she gives up. It's discouraging not to be able to see yourself grow.

There are a lot of newbies on the site. I think that they can be more efficiently trained if they could restrict debate challenges to people +-5% of their ranking, or just to people who are lower.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 7:16:25 PM
As good an idea as that is, we'll likely see Cheese Milkshakes introduced before it.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 7:30:45 PM
At 10/12/2010 7:16:25 PM, tvellalott wrote:
As good an idea as that is, we'll likely see Cheese Milkshakes introduced before it.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 7:39:22 PM
At 10/12/2010 6:56:08 PM, Kleptin wrote:
There should be an option to limit debate challenges OTHER than to people who are above your ranking.

Newbie comes on the site, learns how to post a debate, gets challenged by a senior member, gets discouraged when he or she loses. Will try again, get beat by yet another senior member, so on and so forth until he or she gives up. It's discouraging not to be able to see yourself grow.

There are a lot of newbies on the site. I think that they can be more efficiently trained if they could restrict debate challenges to people +-5% of their ranking, or just to people who are lower.

To a certain extent, I'd agree. Personally, I learned by getting beaten a few times, going through and reading debates by top members on here (including yours, Kleptin), learning what was expected in a good debate, and learning to research my topic before I posted. I'd have never learned that had I only debated other n00bs.

Maybe an agreement among the better debaters on here not to take brand new debaters on their first few debates migh serve the purpose just as well.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 7:44:59 PM
At 10/12/2010 7:39:22 PM, Chrysippus wrote:

To a certain extent, I'd agree. Personally, I learned by getting beaten a few times, going through and reading debates by top members on here (including yours, Kleptin), learning what was expected in a good debate, and learning to research my topic before I posted. I'd have never learned that had I only debated other n00bs.

Maybe an agreement among the better debaters on here not to take brand new debaters on their first few debates migh serve the purpose just as well.

So many go for easy wins to look like they are better tho.

Btw when I first saw this thread title I wasn't thinking DDO at all xD
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 7:50:49 PM
At 10/12/2010 7:30:45 PM, lovelife wrote:

Oh. My. God.
DO YOU SEE THIS KLEPTON!?!?!?!
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:08:28 PM
At 10/12/2010 7:50:49 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Oh. My. God.

THAT'S DISGUSTING ><;;;!!!

I like my cheesecake milkshake better :)
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:13:18 PM
At 10/12/2010 7:44:59 PM, lovelife wrote:

Yeah, I know. I'm guilty as charged. Sometimes, the most entertaining debates are posted by new members, and it's just fun to treat them seriously: http://www.debate.org...

That's kinda the point, though. If the better debaters on here agreed not to take on the new and struggling debaters for, say, their first four debates, it would give them a chance to grow a little bit before they are squelched. Might encourage them to stay.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:17:36 PM
At 10/12/2010 8:13:18 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
At 10/12/2010 7:44:59 PM, lovelife wrote:

Yeah, I know. I'm guilty as charged. Sometimes, the most entertaining debates are posted by new members, and it's just fun to treat them seriously: http://www.debate.org...

That's kinda the point, though. If the better debaters on here agreed not to take on the new and struggling debaters for, say, their first four debates, it would give them a chance to grow a little bit before they are squelched. Might encourage them to stay.

Yep I agree. I just don't think thats a reality. Unless a forced one.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:18:38 PM
At 10/12/2010 8:08:28 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/12/2010 7:50:49 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Oh. My. God.

THAT'S DISGUSTING ><;;;!!!

I like my cheesecake milkshake better :)

I never said that it would be yummy, just that it existed. Which means the prediction was correct cheese milkshakes were introduced before that feature.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:23:24 PM

That is an awesome idea. I wish I would have thought of that.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:30:24 PM
At 10/12/2010 8:23:24 PM, jharry wrote:

Protects them from semantic trickery too.

jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 8:32:57 PM
At 10/12/2010 8:30:24 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 10/12/2010 8:23:24 PM, jharry wrote:

Protects them from semantic trickery too.

I would have never came up with that. Kleptin, you are a genius.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 11:08:03 PM

So theLwerd can't accept debates? O.o Kleptin just wants the #1 spot. It's allllllllllll clear now.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2010 6:49:31 AM
At 10/12/2010 11:08:03 PM, Puck wrote:

So theLwerd can't accept debates? O.o Kleptin just wants the #1 spot. It's allllllllllll clear now.

No one said you had to use the option, just like no one has to use the option of only members higher ranked.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2010 10:36:40 AM
At 10/12/2010 11:08:03 PM, Puck wrote:

I don't debate anymore.

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2010 10:40:58 AM

1) Most newbies don't know how to properly debate, and most seniors can show them a first-hand example of how they do it, which is by in-large common practice.

2) People who've never been in a debate before don't have a ranking, thus if people use this options, they can only debate fellow newbs, an insignificant minority, and thus they won't get to debate. pray tell which one is more likely to drive away newbs

The idea has premise, but ultimately would just give members a false impression of DDO. People are weirdly freaking out due to 'inactivity', which is DDO going through natural cycles. Around this time people use DDO less due to school. Activity will pick-up again for LD and such.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 10:35:34 PM
This would be a good idea, except newbies would be the ones who are least likely to understand how to use this feature. I personally just learned that you can limit who can accept.

If newbies wanted to limit the skill level of their opponent now, they could try to use age as a proxy for debate skill.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:50:41 PM
At 10/15/2010 11:59:48 AM, innomen wrote:
Who knew cheese came in a can.

I did

http://chef2chef.net...

http://soggynacho.com...