Jump to topic:

Please help me solve this murder mystery

TheShadeM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 1:47:34 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Hi, everyone. I am trying to solve this See n Solve murder mystery. It's just a short Whodunnit. Link at:
http://www.mysterynet.com...

MysteryNet no longer keeps the answers for previous editions of See n Solve. I need your help in telling me who do you think did it and reasons.

Also, if you know how I can get the solutions, maybe from a different site or something, that would be most useful. I am a big fan of See n Solve but it's a shame that I can only find them on MysteryNet and they do not keep the previous answers.

Thank you so much!!
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 3:06:46 PM
This is interesting though. These are the errors in all 4 confessions:

Gary: Claimed she was sitting by the window and was alerted to his presence by his shadow. Not possible because she was closer to the source of light and he was approaching the light.

Dean: Claimed the victim brought in mail as she entered the building, then killed her and disposed of a letter. Not possible as there is no other mail in the room. Furthermore, his altercation is 'face to face' in nature. She was stabbed in the back, therefore Dean completely fabricated his story.

Jessica: "She turned and tried to escape." The escape route (the door) was where Jessica said she was hiding. So The doctor did not turn to run, Jessica stabbed from the back while she was unaware.

Hanna Hanna said she stabbed her in the back when the doc swung her bag around. We know by the position of the bag this never happened, so Hanna's story is impossible.

The only possible person who is telling the truth is Jessica.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
TheShadeM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 3:16:31 PM
At 12/25/2015 3:06:46 PM, Smithereens wrote:

Gary: Claimed she was sitting by the window and was alerted to his presence by his shadow. Not possible because she was closer to the source of light and he was approaching the light.

Dean: Claimed the victim brought in mail as she entered the building, then killed her and disposed of a letter. Not possible as there is no other mail in the room. Furthermore, his altercation is 'face to face' in nature. She was stabbed in the back, therefore Dean completely fabricated his story.

Jessica: "She turned and tried to escape." The escape route (the door) was where Jessica said she was hiding. So The doctor did not turn to run, Jessica stabbed from the back while she was unaware.

Hanna Hanna said she stabbed her in the back when the doc swung her bag around. We know by the position of the bag this never happened, so Hanna's story is impossible.

According to the tips, everyone lied but the person who did it overlooked something and made an unintentional mistake.

My friend said he thinks Hannah is the one since she said that the doctor was shopping cardigans. How could she have known the doctor was shopping a cardigan unless she had a look inside, possibly using the cardigan to wipe off the fingerprints.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 3:20:49 PM
At 12/25/2015 3:16:31 PM, TheShadeM wrote:

According to the tips, everyone lied but the person who did it overlooked something and made an unintentional mistake.

My friend said he thinks Hannah is the one since she said that the doctor was shopping cardigans. How could she have known the doctor was shopping a cardigan unless she had a look inside, possibly using the cardigan to wipe off the fingerprints.

Hannah said 'sweater shopping' which I assume she can know due to being there early. Otherwise that is suspicious, though Hannah's story is not possibly true. The killer is the person who told the truth right?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
TheShadeM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 3:22:31 PM
At 12/25/2015 3:20:49 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/25/2015 3:16:31 PM, TheShadeM wrote:

Hannah said 'sweater shopping' which I assume she can know due to being there early. Otherwise that is suspicious, though Hannah's story is not possibly true. The killer is the person who told the truth right?

No, I dont think the killer is the person who told the truth. They all lied. But for one of them, in the process of lying he/she made a mistake of some kind. Let me paste the tips here again:

Amy listened to the four confessions, then examined the room.
"There are holes in all four stories," she finally whispered to her father.
"What do you mean, holes?"
"Take Hanna Grant. She says Dr. Ace swung the shopping bag right before she stabbed her. Yet the bag is upright on the floor. The other three confessions have similar errors in them."
Harry gave a sigh. Or was it a groan? "So, all our suspects are lying? None of them did it?
Amy smiled. "In her notes, Dr. Ace said this homicidal patient was clever. He or she purposely made a mistake, so we would eliminate the confession. But he or she also made a real mistake, something that squarely points the finger of guilt."
"What's with all this 'he or she' stuff?" Harry Silver growled. "You know who it is."
TheShadeM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 3:26:16 PM
Let me rephrase. The three innocent persons were trying to be charged as guilty. But their confessions had holes so they were obviously lying and therefore, they were actually innocent.

For the killer, the reverse is true. The killer is trying to escape detection. He/she is pretending to be mentally unstable by creating a confession that has holes. In that way, they hope for us to eliminate them. However, the killer inadvertently said something that helps us to identify they are the killer.

Hope that makes sense.
TheShadeM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 3:27:52 PM
Also, Hannah could have easily just put the bag properly upright after the kill in the hopes of making her confession seem to have holes.
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 3:33:29 PM
Jessica's is false as well; there's no way that doctor was running out the door. It took me until I used the hint to figure it out. None of the suspects have any way of knowing that the prints were wiped, but Hanna says he wiped them. That's inside knowledge if ever there was any.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 4:01:52 PM
Looks like my years of Phoenix Wright weren't for nothing
*tips fedora*
TheShadeM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 4:15:11 PM
At 12/25/2015 3:33:29 PM, SolonKR wrote:
Jessica's is false as well; there's no way that doctor was running out the door. It took me until I used the hint to figure it out. None of the suspects have any way of knowing that the prints were wiped, but Hanna says he wiped them. That's inside knowledge if ever there was any.

Good answer but I think there's nothing wrong with Hannah saying she wiped them. If you go back to the picture it says "interview the suspects". This means we are asking them after the event, as in they are all in the room and they have heard the policeman saying there are no fingerprints.
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 4:23:58 PM
At 12/25/2015 4:15:11 PM, TheShadeM wrote:
Good answer but I think there's nothing wrong with Hannah saying she wiped them. If you go back to the picture it says "interview the suspects". This means we are asking them after the event, as in they are all in the room and they have heard the policeman saying there are no fingerprints.

Any policeman should be fired from investigative work if they reveal that information to them; the purpose of testimony in the first place is to expose contradictions with the evidence. Also, I double-checked, and in the hint, they make a big deal of "he or she". Hanna is the only one with an ambiguous gender.
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 4:25:32 PM
Plus, if they all knew, we could reasonably expect someone else to mention the print wiping as well, but that isn't the case
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2015 6:31:13 PM
sig change
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
TheShadeM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2015 3:24:25 AM
At 12/25/2015 4:25:32 PM, SolonKR wrote:
Plus, if they all knew, we could reasonably expect someone else to mention the print wiping as well, but that isn't the case

Well done, SolonKR! Yeah, your reasoning sounds point on. Thank you for your help!

I've emailed the author but don't know if he will reply. If he does, I'll let you know the answer but I'm pretty sure you got it right :)