Jump to topic:

Debate Topic: Tobacco use

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 4:29:42 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Should be allowed in the workplace and on school campuses.

I'm Pro. Probably won't have time to debate this issue for a little while, but I'd be interested to see who would like to be Con. I am willing to discuss and change the resolution as needed.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 4:33:31 PM
Perhaps the resolution should be something like:
"Students should be allowed to smoke during tests"

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 4:40:28 PM
At 12/28/2015 4:33:31 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

^ It would definitely be a lot easier to find an opponent for this one than the other one (smoke on campus)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 4:43:03 PM
At 12/28/2015 4:40:28 PM, imabench wrote:

^ It would definitely be a lot easier to find an opponent for this one than the other one (smoke on campus)

True dat.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 4:56:37 PM
I smoke occasionally myself (mostly socially) and don't mind others who smoke. My initial argument I think, would be that it may effect others. People who don't like the smell of nicotine are kind of subjected to it. I guess it depends on how well and sealed off the smoking areas are from the other areas of the campus. I don't think it's a major fire hazard.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 4:56:44 PM

I really hate the anti-tobacco bs and propoganda/misinformation that's being preached like gospel truth, and I want to do a debate about it sometime.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 5:01:37 PM
At 12/28/2015 4:56:44 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

I really hate the anti-tobacco bs and propoganda/misinformation that's being preached like gospel truth, and I want to do a debate about it sometime.

Well if I did the debate Id argue from the point that smoking during tests would be a very burdensome distraction to other people in the room who are also taking a test, I wouldnt really go after the 'health angle'..... Taking a test near someone who is smoking arguably would be like taking a test and someones cell phone rings every 3 to 5 minutes, which i think would be reason to not allow smoking during tests
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 5:07:37 PM

I don't know about during tests lol. Get the paper all ashy and yellowed? Also subjecting other people to the smell and taste and second hand stuff isn't really fair.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 5:24:00 PM
At 12/28/2015 5:01:37 PM, imabench wrote:
At 12/28/2015 4:56:44 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Well if I did the debate Id argue from the point that smoking during tests would be a very burdensome distraction to other people in the room who are also taking a test, I wouldnt really go after the 'health angle'..... Taking a test near someone who is smoking arguably would be like taking a test and someones cell phone rings every 3 to 5 minutes, which i think would be reason to not allow smoking during tests

Several points.

First of all, the test doesn't necessarily have to be in the same room as non-smokers.

Second of all, if the test was in the same room, I don't think this objection holds. First, you could say the same thing about someone who didn't wear deodorant or hasn't showered. Many people find the smell of smoke to be very pleasant. I guarantee you if you try smoking, you will find that you love the smell of smoke...

Another point. Show me a study that shows that this is anything more than a distraction. Demonstrate that it actually *decreases* the person's performance. I can show you millions of studies that show that nicotine enhances concentration, memory, fine motor skills, etc. etc. So it's objectively helping the user. It seems to be more of an annoyance for the students who don't like it.

Also, if the other students are given low dosages of nicotine, this may very well enhance their brain performance as well.

In conclusion though, I would advocate a smoker's test center, since there could be other people who have asthma and other health problems which could come from smoke.

And I guarantee that the smokers test center will have overall better test scores.

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 5:25:57 PM
At 12/28/2015 5:07:37 PM, TUF wrote:

I don't know about during tests lol. Get the paper all ashy and yellowed? Also subjecting other people to the smell and taste and second hand stuff isn't really fair.

I don't think second hand smoke is a major health concern.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 5:34:17 PM
At 12/28/2015 5:24:00 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Show me a study that shows that this is anything more than a distraction.

In conclusion though, I would advocate a smoker's test center, since there could be other people who have asthma and other health problems which could come from smoke.

You answered your own question

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 11:10:32 AM
Students? I don't think so. Aren't students to young to smoke? I think that students are too young to smoke, and they should not smoke after tests. Next of all, I think we should not smoke in public place, rather only in places where there is like a store or room in a cafe or anything where smoking is allowed. I usually don't prefer smoking, and hate the smell when I open the window and smell smoke. That is why I don't prefer places where it harms other people, who does not allow smokers. I allow tobacco use, just not out on public places like schools, next to your apartment building, and we should make more places were smoking is allowed, therefore non-smokers don't get impact.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 1:30:22 PM
Whenever I smell a smoker I choke to death and need to be resuscitated. When I was a very little kid I suffered from asthma and would wait until all the parents had picked up their kids from the school before leaving myself. Simply because some used to smoke and create clouds of that god awful smoke all around the playgrounds. If someone lit up during a test I was in, I would simply take their cigg and squash it under foot. Screw their liberty.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 2:41:17 PM
At 12/28/2015 5:25:57 PM, zmikecuber wrote:

Have you been watching the comedian Steve Hughes?
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 4:15:46 PM
At 12/30/2015 2:41:17 PM, johnlubba wrote:

Nope. I seriously don't think second hand smoke is a major cause of lung cancer at least. I think that's all bullsh!t.

johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 7:18:31 AM
At 12/30/2015 4:15:46 PM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 12/30/2015 2:41:17 PM, johnlubba wrote:

Nope. I seriously don't think second hand smoke is a major cause of lung cancer at least. I think that's all bullsh!t.

Then you have to watch this, It's funny as hell and he also criticises people who complain about second hand smoke in a really funny way. This guy is hilarious,

He say's there are people from Chernobyl still alive for F#@# Sake,

https://www.youtube.com...