Jump to topic:

On civility

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 2:46:04 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I'm not going to weigh in on anything specific that happened recently. I honestly don't really know the specifics.

I will say that every single person who spends a significant amount of time on this site has their own issues that drive them to be here. There is something that they're lacking in their everyday life and seek to find here. And you'll find the more fulfilled you are in your "real" life, the less time you'll spend on here. I'm not going to name specifics for the regular users here, but it is easy to figure out what they're lacking if you know them. One could easily go down the list and rattle off the reasons for being here.

Since everyone on here has their issues, I would think y'all would be more understanding in general. Why be civil? Because everyone on here is struggling with something. And the site is fulfilling that important need. Don't try to deprive or ruin it for them.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 2:49:28 AM
At 12/29/2015 2:46:04 AM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm not going to weigh in on anything specific that happened recently. I honestly don't really know the specifics.

I will say that every single person who spends a significant amount of time on this site has their own issues that drive them to be here. There is something that they're lacking in their everyday life and seek to find here. And you'll find the more fulfilled you are in your "real" life, the less time you'll spend on here. I'm not going to name specifics for the regular users here, but it is easy to figure out what they're lacking if you know them. One could easily go down the list and rattle off the reasons for being here.

Since everyone on here has their issues, I would think y'all would be more understanding in general. Why be civil? Because everyone on here is struggling with something. And the site is fulfilling that important need. Don't try to deprive or ruin it for them.

10/10. F*cking beautiful.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 2:56:05 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself. *bows to the Jewish Overlord Max 2.0*
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:09:06 AM

I appreciate that. That's the kind of restraint I wish some of the others here would exercise; few have. You, and F-16 seem to be the only ones who have publicly taken that route.

I will say that every single person who spends a significant amount of time on this site has their own issues that drive them to be here.

I don't know that I agree with that, beyond the extent to which every person has a reason to be here. Whether those reasons are "issues" (like, they're lacking something they're seeking to find) is another matter.

For me, I lack the ability to have political conversations with an array of people as diverse as this, in any kind of a regular or structured way, because most people just don't like to talk about politics. I find that here, and it's rewarding.

That's at least what brought me here. I stay because as a rule I like the people, and I've made a lot of friends here, some of whom have come to be very important in my life.

As a rule, this is pretty good advice. Not just on DDO, but in life generally. Everyone has their own cross to carry. That being the case, I also agree that everyone is fighting their own battles on DDO, but when those battles come to DDO, there can be problems, and those problems have to be addressed. It's highly unpleasant to do that sometimes, but they still have to be addressed.
Tsar of DDO
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:16:55 AM

I agree with the sentiment but I don't like the idea that "we're all here because we're broken." I think a lot of people use the site because it's fun, because they like arguing, because it's social interaction that is a constant background presence. There are plenty of positive reasons to be here, this site would be an awful place if there weren't.

Yeah everyone has issues, but that's true of everyone on or off DDO. I guess that's just a reason to be civil to everyone on or off DDO lol
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:51:31 AM

I don't agree with the implication that we're "lacking" something in our real life. I came here because I was researching some topics and found some interesting debates. I do lack the ability to debate in real life. I do lack the ability to persue forum mafia as a hobby in real life. So, I come here to pursue those hobbies. That I've met several people with similar interests and had enriching interactions with them is the icing on the cake that keeps me checking into the site from time to time even when not actively debating or playing mafia.
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 4:00:43 AM

I agree, mostly. At the same time, you reap what you sow.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 11:01:10 AM
What are you interpreting this site as? DDO anonymous?

I'm quite certain the majority of members log in with the intention of having a good time. I come here because I greatly enjoy playing mafia, not because I want to escape insecurities Irl. However, an alcoholics anonymous for DDO imo would go a long way fixing the lives of certain members here. Let's be honest.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...