Jump to topic:

The Role of Age in DDO Interactions

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:06:19 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I joined this site when I was 17. I didn't make my first post in the forums until 4 years later, when I was 21.

Thank god.

When I was 17 I was a huge prick. I picked arguments with people over esoteric issues I knew more about and would attack a discussion as if those around me were opponents and not people. Maybe some members on DDO still think I do this, but trust me when I say I am not nearly as big of a jerk now as I was then.

I still did a lot of stuff I'm not really happy about on this site. I engaged in a lot of self-voting and petty voting against some members I feuded with. But fortunately I don't have a trail of forum posts to document how stupid I was when I was a teenager.

When I started this post I think I was going to ask how we should tailor our interactions based on what we know the ages of other members to be. But now I just want to say that older members need to cut the teenagers some slack, and the teenagers need to realize they don't know sh*t and are generally terrible people.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:09:03 AM
+1

Although I definitely don't think you're a terrible person. You're a bit scary, but still. You're cool.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:12:44 AM
At 12/29/2015 3:06:19 AM, Raisor wrote:
I joined this site when I was 17. I didn't make my first post in the forums until 4 years later, when I was 21.

Thank god.

When I was 17 I was a huge prick. I picked arguments with people over esoteric issues I knew more about and would attack a discussion as if those around me were opponents and not people. Maybe some members on DDO still think I do this, but trust me when I say I am not nearly as big of a jerk now as I was then.

I still did a lot of stuff I'm not really happy about on this site. I engaged in a lot of self-voting and petty voting against some members I feuded with. But fortunately I don't have a trail of forum posts to document how stupid I was when I was a teenager.

When I started this post I think I was going to ask how we should tailor our interactions based on what we know the ages of other members to be. But now I just want to say that older members need to cut the teenagers some slack, and the teenagers need to realize they don't know sh*t and are generally terrible people.

Seems reasonable, although I can't imagine you ever rising to the level of being toxic.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:35:55 AM
At 12/29/2015 3:09:03 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
+1

Although I definitely don't think you're a terrible person. You're a bit scary, but still. You're cool.

Raisor is scary?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:36:46 AM
At 12/29/2015 3:35:55 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
+1

Raisor is scary?

He used to scare me a lot. When I had just joined.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:37:11 AM
At 12/29/2015 3:36:46 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
+1

Raisor is scary?

He used to scare me a lot. When I had just joined.

Lol

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:41:54 AM

Thank god.

Haha truth.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:45:40 AM
+1

Raisor is scary?

Didn't you know my username comes from my gangbanging days?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:47:54 AM
At 12/29/2015 3:45:40 AM, Raisor wrote:
+1

Raisor is scary?

Well when we were playing Risk I heard sirens a few time from your mic. I believe it.

Confirmed: Raisor is a badass thug.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 3:49:38 AM
At 12/29/2015 3:47:54 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 12/29/2015 3:45:40 AM, Raisor wrote:
+1

Raisor is scary?

Well when we were playing Risk I heard sirens a few time from your mic. I believe it.

Confirmed: Raisor is a badass thug.

Yeah that apartment was sweet af. My gf made us move because it was too loud.
Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 4:14:29 AM

Thank god.

I agree with you Raisor hindsight is a good thing. It is a part of the maturation process. I too was an impenetrable minded teen who thought I knew better. But, as with all people who age and ripen, it"s part of the intellectual growth process that we see more clearly as we mature. We become less single minded in our views. Even though we ultimately chose different sides of a particular fence, at least we find an intellectual leg to stand on. The point is, responsibility in the real world has a knack of forcing emerging adulthood to a more practical approach. We realize we need to fit in or accommodate to the status quo to make it. We may not like it on a political, philosophical or intellectual level. We can kick and scream our way though it but, we all realize that a roof over our heads and food in bellies takes precedence over ideology; until such time comes a consensus can be built to the contrary.

I posted this on another thread similar in topic and wish to repost it here for the same reason.

I have been reading these threads for the past few weeks. Frankly, I"m disappointed that they are even allowed to occur. This is a debate site, not an institution for sophomoric behavior. The power that be should remove such threads as soon as they arise. The pettiness and distasteful public behavior degrades the integrity of what I see as a site intended for articulate discussion. I"m not stating that levity or humorous trolling doesn"t have a place, but the bickering is poisonous to this site"s overall purpose. Such things are best left to the Twitter, Face book and like sites. Those who have control over this site"s content need to take a more active role in depersonalizing this type of "over the top emotional content. "Yes, there are many teens on the site that require a level of latitude while exercising their intellectual muscle; decorum and diplomacy are part of life lessons that need to be taught. A balance of civility while expressing thought or opinion needs to be struck. If I welcomed exposure to such nonsense that I"ve seen here, I"d invite a group of 14 year olds to my home, then I"d take away their cell phones and internet use for a month; let the whining begin.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 4:26:28 AM

This isn't really unique to you. I've noticed that the polls are filled with younger people, while the forums have a much older audience. Something about the polls just seems to attract the youth...
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 5:25:06 AM

Thank god.

I still did a lot of stuff I'm not really happy about on this site. I engaged in a lot of self-voting and petty voting against some members I feuded with.

But fortunately I don't have a trail of forum posts to document how stupid I was when I was a teenager.

Unfortunately, I do.

Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 5:26:08 AM
At 12/29/2015 4:26:28 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

This isn't really unique to you. I've noticed that the polls are filled with younger people, while the forums have a much older audience. Something about the polls just seems to attract the youth...

Perhaps the lack of depth? lol. It is a lot easier to vote yes or no on a poll than engage in a discussion with someone over some topic on the internet.
Nolite Timere
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 5:29:20 AM
At 12/29/2015 5:26:08 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Perhaps the lack of depth? lol. It is a lot easier to vote yes or no on a poll than engage in a discussion with someone over some topic on the internet.

There's actually quite a bit of depth in the comments many times, only issue is the horrible formatting (plain text) in the comments.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 5:31:01 AM

Thank god.

Yes grandpa
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 5:48:14 AM
I joined this site when I was 19 and started posting when I was 19. Now I'm 38. Let that be a warning to the rest of you.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 5:48:22 AM

Yeah. I know that I'm probably not someone people like talking to much, but I think I'm a hell of a lot better even than I was a year ago (when I was 13). Even if people think I'm extremely abrasive and prone to flame wars, the number of such poor interactions have generally decreased in frequency over time. Really until, like, two weeks ago, I think I had gone several months without any such events.

I do think that I know more sh*t than other teenagers, though. FT didn't know I was 14 until two weeks ago. Apparently, he thought I was 17 or 18 (he said that in a hangout)...and he's not the first person to think I was that age. So I am most likely above average in that department.

I would rather people not tailor their interactions (with me, at least) all that much...I assume they don't, and that may or may not have led to some threads turning for the worse, but I think many more good interactions would've been less fulfilling had people changed the way they talked to me.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 5:51:57 AM
At 12/29/2015 5:48:14 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
I joined this site when I was 19 and started posting when I was 19. Now I'm 38. Let that be a warning to the rest of you.

Something smells suspiciously like bs....esp considering that DDO hasn't been around for 19 years...
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 5:52:33 AM

It the youth that always asks lots of questions, and want to know what people think.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 5:53:23 AM
At 12/29/2015 5:48:22 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Yeah. I know that I'm probably not someone people like talking to much, but I think I'm a hell of a lot better even than I was a year ago (when I was 13). Even if people think I'm extremely abrasive and prone to flame wars, the number of such poor interactions have generally decreased in frequency over time. Really until, like, two weeks ago, I think I had gone several months without any such events.

I do think that I know more sh*t than other teenagers, though. FT didn't know I was 14 until two weeks ago. Apparently, he thought I was 17 or 18 (he said that in a hangout)...and he's not the first person to think I was that age. So I am most likely above average in that department.

I would rather people not tailor their interactions (with me, at least) all that much...I assume they don't, and that may or may not have led to some threads turning for the worse, but I think many more good interactions would've been less fulfilling had people changed the way they talked to me.

I've never felt like I've had to tailor anything with you, because you're more mature than most kids your age. But, I still call you kiddo, though, mostly because I see you like my little brother.
Tsar of DDO
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 5:55:06 AM
At 12/29/2015 5:51:57 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Something smells suspiciously like bs....esp considering that DDO hasn't been around for 19 years...

You know what the hyperbolic time chamber is? That's the DDO forums.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 5:55:38 AM
At 12/29/2015 5:55:06 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

So that's how you got so f*cking swoll...
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 6:03:17 AM
At 12/29/2015 5:55:38 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Literally me in between sh*tposting on DDO >> https://media.giphy.com...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 6:04:13 AM
At 12/29/2015 6:03:17 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 12/29/2015 5:55:38 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Literally me in between sh*tposting on DDO >> https://media.giphy.com...

F*cking savage...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 6:39:15 AM
Generally, I do tailor my interactions with other users based on how old I think they probably are. There are exceptions; if I'm dealing with an unusually mature teenager, I'll treat him or her like an adult, or if I'm dealing with an unusually immature teenager, I'll treat him or her like a child.

But, as a rule, I will never be as hard on or critical of teenagers as I am willing to be of adults. I am willing to forgive and forget a lot more from someone, really, even under the age of 22 or so, than I am willing to forgive something from someone older than that.

These are arbitrary numbers, but I know what I was like as a teenager, and I know what is reasonable to expect of a teenager, or a 20-something, or a 30 something. My expectations are really low, and easy to meet. But the "slack" I'll cut for teenagers will always be more than older people.

Maybe that's ageism, but I think it's fairness. I was a sh!t when I was a teenager, and even though I might have thought I wanted (at the time) to be held to an adult standard, it would have been undesirable for me if I was.
Tsar of DDO
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 4:36:53 PM

The forums skew heavily toward high school and college...aka "the youth"
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 6:48:28 PM

Thank god.

You want the best example? I was a moron when I was young. I was put on trial when I joined (I was 14 or 15), I wrote like a monkey who smashed the keyboard, and I sounded like an O'Reilly puppet.

Now I am half decent. I am the best of the sh!t.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 8:56:12 PM
At 12/29/2015 6:48:28 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Thank god.

You want the best example? I was a moron when I was young. I was put on trial when I joined (I was 14 or 15), I wrote like a monkey who smashed the keyboard, and I sounded like an O'Reilly puppet.

Now I am half decent. I am the best of the sh!t.

haha I remember uber conservative little 14 and 15 year old 16k...

I also am happy to see how you've grown up. You are an exceptionally bright kid, with a very bright future.
Tsar of DDO