Jump to topic:

Ultimate Team War

mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 3:52:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Okay, I intend to revive the Ultimate Team War debates. However, I think we're going to need something new. Anybody have any good ideas for new twists to add to the game? Or any new locations that would provide for an interesting fight?

Current list of locations used:
New York City
The Battle Room (Ender's Game)
Gateway Planet (Super Mario Galaxy)
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 4:06:13 PM
I'm in, however you choose to do it.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 4:09:04 PM
No telepathy, mental or otherwise, or supers like Superman and Sentry. It's like god-moding your team. and debates like that aren't fun to read.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 4:48:26 PM
At 10/15/2010 4:32:02 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:
nobody saw my.. "heh?"

what is this exactly?

http://tinyurl.com...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 4:51:36 PM
At 10/15/2010 4:48:26 PM, Korashk wrote:
nobody saw my.. "heh?"

what is this exactly?

Is that the Rickroll.

Muh threads
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 4:54:54 PM
At 10/15/2010 4:51:36 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 10/15/2010 4:48:26 PM, Korashk wrote:
nobody saw my.. "heh?"

what is this exactly?

Is that the Rickroll.

No
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 7:08:25 PM
At 10/15/2010 4:09:04 PM, Korashk wrote:
No telepathy, mental or otherwise, or supers like Superman and Sentry. It's like god-moding your team. and debates like that aren't fun to read.

What about telepathic communication? That hardly seems bad. And I agree, demi-gods like Superman are considerably overpowered.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 7:32:56 PM
At 10/15/2010 7:08:25 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 10/15/2010 4:09:04 PM, Korashk wrote:

What about telepathic communication? That hardly seems bad. And I agree, demi-gods like Superman are considerably overpowered.

I guess telepathic communication is okay, though I doubt there are many characters whose telepathy only extends to mental communication.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 7:50:22 PM
I like the idea of picking your opponent's team. Perhaps you give a pool of 15 characters or set some standards in the initial round (e.g. heroes with currently published series, heroes featured in a film, former Avengers members), and then opponents go about picking the characters for the other side.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 8:21:56 PM
At 10/15/2010 7:50:22 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I like the idea of picking your opponent's team. Perhaps you give a pool of 15 characters or set some standards in the initial round (e.g. heroes with currently published series, heroes featured in a film, former Avengers members), and then opponents go about picking the characters for the other side.

So, we just pick the weakest characters for our opponents? I don't really like the idea of being restrained so badly. The weakest of the bunch will probably be identified quickly, so that it's really just up to who chooses first to decide everything.
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 4:50:53 PM
At 10/15/2010 7:50:22 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I like this idea. To add my own two cents, you could experiment with much smaller teams (even as small as 2v2, but I don't think 1v1 would really count as UTW) or much larger ones (perhaps with some theme, like the X-Men versus the Justice League). Or you could even do fights between known teams of superheroes.
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 5:07:33 PM
I think that there should definitely be restrictions on power level; the vast majority of DBZ and upper-tier Marvel and DC characters should be out. I'm not so sure about removing telepathy entirely, though there is definitely logic to the idea. As to the character pool idea, I suppose whether that's implemented or not could be up to the debaters.
Also, perhaps each debater selects one or two potential locations, and the final location of the debate is decided by a third party.
"We were having a philosophical discussion and I asserted that the only demonstrable reality is individual consciousness, but he insisted on the existence of a priori moral values that transcended free will. So I hit him." - Walon Vau
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 6:55:03 PM
At 10/15/2010 8:07:02 PM, mongeese wrote:
So, Korashk, if I were to start a 5 vs. 5 UTW right now against you, where would you want it to be located?

In an empty (i.e. no guns, upgrades, ect.) multiplayer map from an FPS.
Kahvan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 9:41:08 AM
This is what was used in one of my debates. What do you think?

Team member: One of the three chosen warriors.
Team Pro: My team.
Team Con: My opponent's team.
RULES
1.) Battles take place in the Battle Room of Ender's Game. The room is 100m by 20m by 20m. A portal is located on each 20 by 20 wall, 5m by 5m. Each team has its own portal. The Battle Room is not lit, and there is no gravity. The Battle Room contains air, same in composition as that of Earth. Along the walls, 1-foot handlebars are located 3 m away from each other. The Battle Room and all handlebars are indestructible. The temperature of the Battle Room is 25 degrees Celcius. The Battle Room and the Preparation Rooms may not be transported anywhere, and nothing may be transported out of the Battle Room or Preparation Rooms, with the exception of initial entrance into the Battle Room from the Preparation Room.
2.) All team members must enter their respective portal within five minutes of the beginning of the battle. Preparation takes place in a 40m by 40m by 40m room lit with white light and no resources. The only exit from this room allowed is the portal.
3.) Once a team member enters the portal, that team member may not exit the Battle Room.
4.) Team members in a preparation room may not be attacked by the opposing team, and may not attack the opposing team. By "attack," I mean that neither team may disrupt the other team in any way as long as either team is in the Preparation Room.
5.) Here is a list of those charcters not allowed.
-Dr. Strange -Dr. Fate -Parallax -Silver Surfer -Faust -Any character who is regarded as a god (by god, I mean characters like Dr. Manhattan, the Living Tribunal, Thanos with the infinity gauntlet, Adam Warlocke, Galactus, etc). -Any character from Dragon Ball Z (or GT) or Yu Yu Hakusho -SuperMan Prime or Super Boy Prime -Any character from the 5th dimension (Batmite is a good example) -The Speedforce cannot be used. -The Ultimate Nullifier ray is not allowed. -Shinigami's from Death Note are not allowed. -Father (Full Metal Alchemist Manga) -Hohenheim (FMA manga) (though they are probably technically banned, due to previous rules) -Thanos -Squirrel Girl (for obvious reasons :D ) -Darth Nihilus -All Characters from Saint Seya -SailorMoon Characters.
6.) Every team member must be either real or, if fictional, verifiably existent. No characters may be made up for the purpose of this debate.
7.) In the case of a fictional character, the team member's abilities must be according to a specific canon chosen by the team leader.
8.) Every character has only the equipment that they generally have in the specified canon. Any support characters used by the team member as if they were equipment are allowed as long as that character is not suddenly above street level.
9.) Team members are absolutely loyal to the team leader, unless subjected to some form of mind control by the opposing team. All team members are still subjected to their own emotions, however.
10.) The team leader may not directly participate in the competition, but may only facilitate. The role of the team leader is to explain what the team would do and why it would win against the opposing team.
11.) Neither team can have a member in common. If one team leader chooses a team member, the other team cannot have that person.
12.) A team wins when all members of an opposing team are dead or unconscious. Characters who cannot be dead or unconscious are not allowed.
13.) The winning team automatically receives Arguments and Sources. Conduct, in addition to regular things, goes to the person who follows the rules most effectively.
14.) Nothing outside of the Battle Room and Preparation Rooms influence the debate in any way. It might be empty space outside the Battle Room. It might be solid wall. It might be made of swiss cheese. It is not allowed to matter.

Round 1: Rule specifications; PRO unveils three team members, CON unveils three team members.

Round 2: PRO explains why his team is better(through battle). CON also begins his arguments.

Round 3, 4, 5: Arguments and rebuttals. CON may not present any new arguments during round 5, since PRO has no chance to rebut them.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 2:38:35 PM
At 10/20/2010 9:41:08 AM, Kahvan wrote:

It looks like my Ender's Game setup with Logical-Master's character restrictions.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 4:13:52 PM
My team consists of:

The One Above All
The Presence
The Living Tribunal
Galactus
and
Thanos

Lets begin.

Muh threads
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 7:33:53 PM
Chuck Norris
Goku
The Most Interesting Man in the World
Kamina
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like

Let's go.
"We were having a philosophical discussion and I asserted that the only demonstrable reality is individual consciousness, but he insisted on the existence of a priori moral values that transcended free will. So I hit him." - Walon Vau
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2010 9:34:24 PM
At 10/20/2010 7:33:53 PM, GeorgeCarlinWorshipper wrote:
Chuck Norris
Goku
The Most Interesting Man in the World
Kamina
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like

Let's go.

This needs to happen. Now.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 8:15:11 AM
At 10/20/2010 2:38:35 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 10/20/2010 9:41:08 AM, Kahvan wrote:

It looks like my Ender's Game setup with Logical-Master's character restrictions.

I'm against more of the Ender's Game setups. They raise my blood pressure. The vast majority of those battles are heavily flawed in that people keep forgetting about the 0 gravity. I can't read through one of them (except my own) without going "THAT CAN'T HAPPEN!!"
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 11:44:12 AM
At 10/16/2010 6:55:03 PM, Korashk wrote:

Anyone else think this is a good idea?
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 12:06:42 PM
At 10/23/2010 11:44:12 AM, Korashk wrote:
At 10/16/2010 6:55:03 PM, Korashk wrote:

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

It could be workable, but there would have to be specific terms for every part of the battlefield. It could only really work if both debaters were extremely familiar with the game and map in question.