Jump to topic:

New Forum?

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 6:36:35 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
We should have a forum for Physics. Why? Because Economics, and Education will not suffice.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 6:40:44 PM
We do have a science forum, and physics does fall under science. It's pretty inane to have a forum dedicated to 1 thing, rather than a branch of things.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 6:42:45 PM
At 12/30/2015 6:40:44 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
We do have a science forum, and physics does fall under science. It's pretty inane to have a forum dedicated to 1 thing, rather than a branch of things.

Untrue. Some of the mathematical theories would not fit into the the science forum.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 6:43:47 PM
At 12/30/2015 6:42:45 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Untrue. Some of the mathematical theories would not fit into the the science forum.

All science revolves around math though. And we don't have a good template for writing mathematics, especially complex equations.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 6:49:13 PM

Specifically which theories would be inappropriate to discuss in the science forum?
spacetime
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 6:51:45 PM
In that case, might as well also split up the "Philosophy" forum into Ethics, Ontology, Epistemology, and Metaphysics
Call me King Pootie Tang.
Forever23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 7:36:11 PM
At 12/30/2015 6:36:35 PM, Rosalie wrote:
We should have a forum for Physics. Why? Because Economics, and Education will not suffice.

We should.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 7:41:23 PM
At 12/30/2015 6:43:47 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

All science revolves around math though. And we don't have a good template for writing mathematics, especially complex equations.

Not necessarily. Science is defined as "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment." *Note that science deals with *mainly* how things work, chemicals and the structure of the environment.

Mathematics- the systematic treatment of magnitude, relationships between figures and forms, and relations between quantities expressed symbolically.

Its clear that there is a distinguished difference between the 2 topics.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 7:48:54 PM
At 12/30/2015 6:49:13 PM, Raisor wrote:

Specifically which theories would be inappropriate to discuss in the science forum?

*sigh* I thought this would be easy to understand...

Tell me how prime numbers, and odd numbers involve Science. Look at the definition I have provided above.

We can take the "Model Theory" for example. In mathematics, model theory is the study of classes of mathematical structures (e.g. groups, fields, graphs, universes of set theory) from the perspective of mathematical logic. The objects of study are models of theories in a formal language. This is *strictly* based on Mathematical *functions* not Science.

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 8:06:46 PM
This is the single stupidest forum proposal I've heard this month.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 8:07:20 PM
At 12/30/2015 7:48:54 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Tell me how prime numbers, and odd numbers involve Science. Look at the definition I have provided above.

We can take the "Model Theory" for example. In mathematics, model theory is the study of classes of mathematical structures (e.g. groups, fields, graphs, universes of set theory) from the perspective of mathematical logic. The objects of study are models of theories in a formal language. This is *strictly* based on Mathematical *functions* not Science.

Why would you talk about model theory in a physics forum?
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 8:11:32 PM
At 12/30/2015 8:07:20 PM, Raisor wrote:

Oops, I thought I posted something, but I didn't. Instead of narrowing it down to just "Physics" we could just do Mathematics.

And FYI--Most of the time, models in physics involve a theory, In some cases the equations that form part of the model can be obtained from a general theory
simply by specifying the relevant determinables in the general equations of the theory. Every model involves physics.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 8:18:22 PM
There are so many Mathematical theories, plus many unsolved ones, such as:

Additive number theory
Analysis
Combinatorics
Discrete geometry
Euclidean geometry
Dynamical systems
Model theory

The point would be to discuss the theories, and find the flaws in them.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 8:18:52 PM
At 12/30/2015 8:06:46 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
This is the single stupidest forum proposal I've heard this month.

Just because you dislike math.

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:00:33 PM
At 12/30/2015 8:11:32 PM, Rosalie wrote:
At 12/30/2015 8:07:20 PM, Raisor wrote:

Oops, I thought I posted something, but I didn't. Instead of narrowing it down to just "Physics" we could just do Mathematics.

And FYI--Most of the time, models in physics involve a theory, In some cases the equations that form part of the model can be obtained from a general theory
simply by specifying the relevant determinables in the general equations of the theory. Every model involves physics.

Wow that's really interesting. Makes me wish I had taken more math and science in college.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:12:26 PM
Yaaaaaaay, more dead subgroups that no one will ever use! That's exactly what we need right now!

/s
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:15:36 PM
At 12/30/2015 9:12:26 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Yaaaaaaay, more dead subgroups that no one will ever use! That's exactly what we need right now!

/s

Lol....Math noob.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:18:37 PM
At 12/30/2015 9:12:26 PM, Zaradi wrote:

/s

Zaradi trying to solve a Trig equation: http://old.noob.us...

SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:23:04 PM

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:24:03 PM
At 12/30/2015 9:23:04 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Jeezus...*science of numbers* look at the science definition provided above before you embarrass yourself more.

SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:28:17 PM
At 12/30/2015 9:24:03 PM, Rosalie wrote:
At 12/30/2015 9:23:04 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Jeezus...*science of numbers* look at the science definition provided above before you embarrass yourself more.

How am I embarrassing myself? I just posted a link to the definition of mathematics as described by Merriam-Webster. Get pissy if you want to.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:29:09 PM
At 12/30/2015 6:51:45 PM, spacetime wrote:
In that case, might as well also split up the "Philosophy" forum into Ethics, Ontology, Epistemology, and Metaphysics

Agreed. And we should split the "Debate.org" forum into separate forums for each member
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:32:00 PM
At 12/30/2015 9:29:09 PM, thett3 wrote:

Agreed. And we should split the "Debate.org" forum into separate forums for each member

Agreed....

Like:

Debate.org Flamewar

Debate.org Gossip

Debate.org Hated Members

That way *this* forum section doesn't get spammed with stupid sh*t.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:43:07 PM
At 12/30/2015 9:41:00 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
This idea is bad and you should feel bad.

And you shouldn't speak, unless told otherwise.

BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:47:41 PM
At 12/30/2015 9:32:00 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Agreed....

Like:

Debate.org Flamewar

Debate.org Gossip

Debate.org Hated Members

That way *this* forum section doesn't get spammed with stupid sh*t.

Sure. I would love to have members make threads about hated members, especially me! I would love to have sub threads dedicated to harassing members. Isn't that fun and friendly?

In all seriousness though, not every thread has to fit exactly with the forum. It is pretty similar to science. Otherwise, it should be a full category: Math forum. Not a sub category. Also, seeing as how little it would be used, just use the "miscellaneous forum" and people will respond.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:50:34 PM

We should have a DDO Max Forum. So we can worship the Jewish Axolotl God.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:55:27 PM
At 12/30/2015 9:50:34 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

It is called the Religion Forum.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:56:39 PM
At 12/30/2015 9:55:27 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:
At 12/30/2015 9:50:34 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

It is called the Religion Forum.

DDO Max Forum would trump the Religion, as it is the superior religion ofc.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
spacetime
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 9:56:50 PM

Great idea. That would probably put an end to a lot of the drama.
Call me King Pootie Tang.