Jump to topic:

Imagine I am a guy from Juggle

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 12:42:59 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
As many users are aware, the site had a prolonged outage this AM. It affected all users for the entirety of the outage.

The problem arose from a simple server OS issue - it "locked up". Under normal conditions this sort of issue can and should be resolved in as few as 15 minutes, but can take as long as 20 or 30 minutes before we are even aware there is an issue. We strive to resolve any technical issue as soon as we can, and under a hour is within our normal operational expectations, however, as we are all trying to enjoy our holidays too, we missed it. Our on-call person (me) was having some fun, and just didn't notice his phone.

The server is back up and functioning correctly now. I apologise for the inconvenience to our users.

Regards
Some Tech
Juggle

My question to you is. If you saw this when you came back to the site, what would you have said? "Thanks for working on a holiday weekend"? "Sorry you had to be dragged away from your family"? It is my bet, it is my experience that is exactly what users will say. You turn the issue into a reason for the user base to care about the work you have to do, and all it takes is a couple poorly written paragraphs. Its the difference between a "thanks for understanding" and a big "f**k off you annoying users".
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 1:49:10 AM
At 1/3/2016 12:42:59 AM, TBR wrote:
As many users are aware, the site had a prolonged outage this AM. It affected all users for the entirety of the outage.

The problem arose from a simple server OS issue - it "locked up". Under normal conditions this sort of issue can and should be resolved in as few as 15 minutes, but can take as long as 20 or 30 minutes before we are even aware there is an issue. We strive to resolve any technical issue as soon as we can, and under a hour is within our normal operational expectations, however, as we are all trying to enjoy our holidays too, we missed it. Our on-call person (me) was having some fun, and just didn't notice his phone.

The server is back up and functioning correctly now. I apologise for the inconvenience to our users.

Regards
Some Tech
Juggle

My question to you is. If you saw this when you came back to the site, what would you have said? "Thanks for working on a holiday weekend"? "Sorry you had to be dragged away from your family"? It is my bet, it is my experience that is exactly what users will say. You turn the issue into a reason for the user base to care about the work you have to do, and all it takes is a couple poorly written paragraphs. Its the difference between a "thanks for understanding" and a big "f**k off you annoying users".

Well it looks very poorly written. I know what they are trying to say, but with the way it's written it looks like they're saying, "This issue is normally and we usually resolve it, but as you know we are enjoying the holidays and were a little late in doing so. I was obvious and didn't check my phone and was unaware of the porblem." Looks like a big "go fvck yourself" to me.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 1:53:03 AM
At 1/3/2016 1:49:10 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Regards
Some Tech
Juggle

Well it looks very poorly written. I know what they are trying to say, but with the way it's written it looks like they're saying, "This issue is normally and we usually resolve it, but as you know we are enjoying the holidays and were a little late in doing so. I was obvious and didn't check my phone and was unaware of the porblem." Looks like a big "go fvck yourself" to me.

lannan13, this is ME writing this as an example of what to do.

Users are generally very understanding if given even the slightest clue that you are working on it. There are three threads on the forum bashing the site. This could ALL be gone with just a touch of interaction from the admins. That is my point.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 2:21:47 AM
At 1/3/2016 1:53:03 AM, TBR wrote:
At 1/3/2016 1:49:10 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Regards
Some Tech
Juggle

lannan13, this is ME writing this as an example of what to do.

Users are generally very understanding if given even the slightest clue that you are working on it. There are three threads on the forum bashing the site. This could ALL be gone with just a touch of interaction from the admins. That is my point.

Well Something is better than nothing. I would appiraiate some not of some shape or form.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 3:40:47 AM
At 1/3/2016 3:13:41 AM, Mikal wrote:
RM posted then got banned instantly before his post went through?

WTF lol

It was under a Juggle name which is an auto ban.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 3:53:30 AM
Well I wasn't using it then so it didn't affect me. But if I had wanted to use it then I would have come back later. There are a million and one other things to do in life.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 4:28:13 AM
At 1/3/2016 3:53:30 AM, sadolite wrote:
Well I wasn't using it then so it didn't affect me. But if I had wanted to use it then I would have come back later. There are a million and one other things to do in life.

Yea, so not the point. The point is, Juggle has a terrible perception among the user-base. It is my contention that a good deal of this problem could be resolved with better communication.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 4:35:09 AM
At 1/3/2016 4:28:13 AM, TBR wrote:

Yea, so not the point. The point is, Juggle has a terrible perception among the user-base. It is my contention that a good deal of this problem could be resolved with better communication.

Meh the site woks fine for me
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 4:37:15 AM
At 1/3/2016 4:35:09 AM, sadolite wrote:

The site is riddled with technical issues, and piss poor user sanctification with the operators. I think you are a capitalist, and generally care about how to grow a business. This one is doing most of it wrong.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 6:54:28 AM
At 1/3/2016 4:36:43 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

WTF lol

RM??

Or in this case FuhrerJuggle.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 3:21:05 PM
At 1/3/2016 4:37:15 AM, TBR wrote:

The site is riddled with technical issues, and piss poor user sanctification with the operators. I think you are a capitalist, and generally care about how to grow a business. This one is doing most of it wrong.

*picks up axe and puts on war helmet to go invade the Juggle offices*

Waiting on your command Chief
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 6:25:40 PM
At 1/3/2016 6:54:28 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

WTF lol

RM??

What did FuhrerJuggle post?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 6:32:44 PM
At 1/3/2016 6:25:40 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

WTF lol

RM??

Nothing. Nothing at all. That's the point. Had they bothered to post even a simple message they could have improved customers relations.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 6:41:26 PM
At 1/3/2016 6:32:44 PM, TBR wrote:

WTF lol

RM??

Nothing. Nothing at all. That's the point. Had they bothered to post even a simple message they could have improved customers relations.

I'm not talking about Juggle, i'm talking about a troll account pretending to be Juggle.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 6:44:11 PM
At 1/3/2016 6:41:26 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

WTF lol

RM??

I'm not talking about Juggle, i'm talking about a troll account pretending to be Juggle.

That was ME pretending to be a proper admin from the company.

I realize that the point has been missed by everyone, my fault. What I was trying to do was show how easy it would be to improve the attitude and relations between the users and Juggle.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 6:50:05 PM

Yet it is #1

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 6:51:57 PM
At 1/3/2016 6:50:05 PM, sadolite wrote:

Yet it is #1

Oh ya, and it is still FREE to the user. Looking a gift horse in the mouth if you ask me.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 6:52:49 PM

WTF lol

RM??

I can't tell you how many times I have been through this from the other side. Outages and disaster recovery is a big part of IT. In the way back, two servers failed in the development department of a large bank I was working at. They were intended as mirrored servers, and the entire setup was a mess. During the failure, the entire department of like 30 developers were down (very costly day). They were very pissed at me and we did a post-mortem on the event.

What we got to was, I did everything very well - thank-you very much. The design/setup was flawed from the start, and proper maintenance was not done. Bunch of stuff really. However, the point is, the guy who got the most negative points on the review was the guy who was responsible for communicating with the business group. He fu*ked the thing start to finnish.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 6:55:58 PM
At 1/3/2016 6:51:57 PM, sadolite wrote:

Yet it is #1

Oh ya, and it is still FREE to the user. Looking a gift horse in the mouth if you ask me.

Its not free. We are customers. Are you a complete idiot? If they are loosing money on this site (look at Alex) they are the fools. More than enough traffic, and a bound rate that sucks. A child could turn this site into a moneymaker
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 7:03:19 PM
At 1/3/2016 6:55:58 PM, TBR wrote:

Are you a complete idiot?

This is SADOLITE youre talking about here.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 7:10:36 PM

Yet it is #1

Its not free. We are customers. Are you a complete idiot? If they are loosing money on this site (look at Alex) they are the fools. More than enough traffic, and a bound rate that sucks. A child could turn this site into a moneymaker

"Its not free. We are customers." Funny I must be a preferred customer I pay nothing, what do you pay?

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 7:12:00 PM
At 1/3/2016 7:10:36 PM, sadolite wrote:

Yet it is #1

"Its not free. We are customers." Funny I must be a preferred customer I pay nothing, what do you pay?

We pay with our eyeballs you fool. We provide all the content (for free) to them.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 8:14:22 PM
At 1/3/2016 7:12:00 PM, TBR wrote:

Yet it is #1

We pay with our eyeballs you fool. We provide all the content (for free) to them.

No they provide an entertainment service to you for free. It is the advertisers that are customers. Do you buy from the advertisers on this site? I really don't think you people understand how this site works. You are traffic. The advertisers pay money to juggle in the hopes that you will read their advertisements and buy something from them. Juggle provides the platform for the advertiser at a fee. If you don't buy from them they quit advertising juggle loses revenue. Juggle doesn't get revenue because you log on and talk about inane crap. If you want the site to spend more money on the site you need to be a customer of the advertiser, get it.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 8:44:06 PM
At 1/3/2016 8:14:22 PM, sadolite wrote:

Yet it is #1

No they provide an entertainment service to you for free. It is the advertisers that are customers. Do you buy from the advertisers on this site? I really don't think you people understand how this site works. You are traffic. The advertisers pay money to juggle in the hopes that you will read their advertisements and buy something from them. Juggle provides the platform for the advertiser at a fee. If you don't buy from them they quit advertising juggle loses revenue. Juggle doesn't get revenue because you log on and talk about inane crap. If you want the site to spend more money on the site you need to be a customer of the advertiser, get it.

Yea, I'm sticking with you are an idiot. Without content and users, the site has no value to advertisers. Loosing users devalues the property. Loosing users reduces content. You are the one with absolutely no idea how to make this business work.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 9:00:32 PM
At 1/3/2016 8:44:06 PM, TBR wrote:

Yet it is #1

Yea, I'm sticking with you are an idiot. Without content and users, the site has no value to advertisers. Loosing users devalues the property. Loosing users reduces content. You are the one with absolutely no idea how to make this business work.

Ya because the content of DDO is in such demand

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 10:09:08 PM
At 1/3/2016 6:44:11 PM, TBR wrote:

WTF lol

RM??

I realize that the point has been missed by everyone, my fault. What I was trying to do was show how easy it would be to improve the attitude and relations between the users and Juggle.

This is who I mean
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 10:25:20 PM
At 1/3/2016 10:09:08 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 1/3/2016 6:44:11 PM, TBR wrote:

WTF lol

RM??

This is who I mean

I see. Understood now.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2016 10:27:27 PM
At 1/3/2016 9:00:32 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/3/2016 8:44:06 PM, TBR wrote:

Yet it is #1

Ya because the content of DDO is in such demand

Yea it is. Getting fresh content for this sort of advertising driven site is the most difficult. Again, it would seem you are clueless in this score.