Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

My Debate

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 11:36:15 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/4/2016 11:27:15 PM, Forever23 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm kind of confused. Is this allowed in the debate? The rule setting, I mean.

http://www.debate.org...

It is, but within reason. The appropriate response to an opponent who does not heed debate parameters is to identify the violation for the readers and proceed with your argument. The infraction will be taken into account under 'conduct'.

It's unreasonable to expect that Pro's careless mistake would be viewed as forfeiture. That debate should probably just be deleted or tied, and then you can extend the challenge again.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Forever23
Posts: 988
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 12:07:00 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/4/2016 11:36:15 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 1/4/2016 11:27:15 PM, Forever23 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm kind of confused. Is this allowed in the debate? The rule setting, I mean.

http://www.debate.org...

It is, but within reason. The appropriate response to an opponent who does not heed debate parameters is to identify the violation for the readers and proceed with your argument. The infraction will be taken into account under 'conduct'.

It's unreasonable to expect that Pro's careless mistake would be viewed as forfeiture. That debate should probably just be deleted or tied, and then you can extend the challenge again.

Can you vote?
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,682
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 12:09:42 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/4/2016 11:27:15 PM, Forever23 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm kind of confused. Is this allowed in the debate? The rule setting, I mean.

http://www.debate.org...

By accepting the debate, Pro accepted the rules given out. Making it mostly Pro's fault if he were to break a rule.

However, you didn't explicitally say round 1 was for acceptance only. So requesting a full concession would be fairly extreme.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Forever23
Posts: 988
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 12:10:56 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 12:09:42 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 1/4/2016 11:27:15 PM, Forever23 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm kind of confused. Is this allowed in the debate? The rule setting, I mean.

http://www.debate.org...

By accepting the debate, Pro accepted the rules given out. Making it mostly Pro's fault if he were to break a rule.

However, you didn't explicitally say round 1 was for acceptance only. So requesting a full concession would be fairly extreme.

Thanks Uther.

But can you please vote on it?
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 1:37:56 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
People are voting against you because of how you set the debate up. You literally had a 4 round structure with only 3 rounds, meaning no matter what he would have had to FF under your conditions thus negating any relevance the outline had.

In addition to that you didn't clarify what acceptance was. Acceptance to him was posting his argument.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 2:16:57 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
lol How are people actually voting on this with passionate RFDs when a debate didn't even occur?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 2:19:43 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 2:16:57 AM, 000ike wrote:
lol How are people actually voting on this with passionate RFDs when a debate didn't even occur?

+1
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 2:20:06 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 1/5/2016 2:16:57 AM, 000ike wrote:
lol How are people actually voting on this with passionate RFDs when a debate didn't even occur?

the power of Christ compels them