Interesting Stats about this website

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 2:15:43 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
According to: http://www.webuka.com...

DDO averages 6,588 daily users. It is worth roughly 150,000 dollars, and makes about 6,000 dollars a month.
I never realized they profited over 6k a month from advertisements, the way I always heard it from them was that it was pocket change. Maybe that would be when you add in server costs, technician pay, etc, but considering how little they actually talk directly to the community anymore, it seems like they get to just profit off of the site without having to put much work into it.

I know the issue once was that they were trying to profit from the website, and that more money had been put into it then they were receiving. But 6k a month is a lot to have only a few technician's work on it when an occasional error pops up. I can't see server and maintenance costing over a few hundred dollars.

Let me state that I am also not 100% sure these statistics are accurate, nor do I know what other costs Juggle has. But if we were to assume they are profiting 6k a month and they took over the website 5 years ago, that would make their overall profit from the website like 360k. They originally purchased the website for 130k.

Obviously I don't know if the 6k a month has only recently spiked that high, or whether they were making that much since the implementation of advertisements a couple years ago, so that estimate of 360k is most likely very wrong. But I'd imagine that they have at least made more revenue from the website since they took it over in 2011.

Juggle CEO, Stephanie Leffler explained that she has long admired the active user community on Debate.org and their articulate and thorough debates.

In discussing Juggle"s plans for their latest acquisition, Leffler outlined that they will be working hard to gauge community feedback and further enhance usability and design. At the same time, they will be expanding the content and formats to continue to grow "the most successful debates community on the internet".

I think a lot of people think it would be nice if Juggle had a more direct line of communication with it's userbase. They used to have this with us. Even when they were not telling us things we wanted to hear, it was still nice to know the company cared enough to have a direct representative with the website and it's users.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 6:19:58 PM
At 1/6/2016 2:15:43 PM, TUF wrote:

DDO averages 6,588 daily users. It is worth roughly 150,000 dollars, and makes about 6,000 dollars a month.
I never realized they profited over 6k a month from advertisements, the way I always heard it from them was that it was pocket change. Maybe that would be when you add in server costs, technician pay, etc, but considering how little they actually talk directly to the community anymore, it seems like they get to just profit off of the site without having to put much work into it.

I know the issue once was that they were trying to profit from the website, and that more money had been put into it then they were receiving. But 6k a month is a lot to have only a few technician's work on it when an occasional error pops up. I can't see server and maintenance costing over a few hundred dollars.

Let me state that I am also not 100% sure these statistics are accurate, nor do I know what other costs Juggle has. But if we were to assume they are profiting 6k a month and they took over the website 5 years ago, that would make their overall profit from the website like 360k. They originally purchased the website for 130k.

Obviously I don't know if the 6k a month has only recently spiked that high, or whether they were making that much since the implementation of advertisements a couple years ago, so that estimate of 360k is most likely very wrong. But I'd imagine that they have at least made more revenue from the website since they took it over in 2011.

Juggle CEO, Stephanie Leffler explained that she has long admired the active user community on Debate.org and their articulate and thorough debates.

In discussing Juggle"s plans for their latest acquisition, Leffler outlined that they will be working hard to gauge community feedback and further enhance usability and design. At the same time, they will be expanding the content and formats to continue to grow "the most successful debates community on the internet".

I think a lot of people think it would be nice if Juggle had a more direct line of communication with it's userbase. They used to have this with us. Even when they were not telling us things we wanted to hear, it was still nice to know the company cared enough to have a direct representative with the website and it's users.

I have made a number of posts about this, not directly about what the revenue looks like, but how they could improve it. A number of people think I was "complaining". That is so not that case.

My guess would be that server and bandwidth costs are low enough. Say, worse $1,200 to $1,500. When a tech works on the site, they may need to internally bill back, lets say $100-$150/hr. Even at the levels they are at now, there is no way it is less than 4-6hr per month (doing virtually nothing), anyway, lets make that 1k for minimal tech per month. Outside, it is costing <3,000/month to run currently.

If they are making 6k per-month, 4 for 10k, it is not 0. The overall profit may be zero, but they have cash coming in. That is something to build from, not neglect.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 6:24:29 PM

I think the problem with these "stats" is that they fail to take into account the majority of the "new users" are actually just spam accounts.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 6:32:37 PM
At 1/6/2016 6:24:29 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

I think the problem with these "stats" is that they fail to take into account the majority of the "new users" are actually just spam accounts.

Turning hits (new users) into active users takes work. Regardless, hits are hits. That is what advertising is basing the rates are on.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 7:49:12 PM

Not all 6,000 are going to be scam accounts though. And it matches the income as well, with 6,000 dollars. A good portion of these people are browsing the website and clicking (either purposely or accidently) on ads. Makes sense because DDO ranks pretty high on Google.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 7:51:48 PM
At 1/6/2016 6:19:58 PM, TBR wrote:

I have made a number of posts about this, not directly about what the revenue looks like, but how they could improve it. A number of people think I was "complaining". That is so not that case.

My guess would be that server and bandwidth costs are low enough. Say, worse $1,200 to $1,500. When a tech works on the site, they may need to internally bill back, lets say $100-$150/hr. Even at the levels they are at now, there is no way it is less than 4-6hr per month (doing virtually nothing), anyway, lets make that 1k for minimal tech per month. Outside, it is costing <3,000/month to run currently.

If they are making 6k per-month, 4 for 10k, it is not 0. The overall profit may be zero, but they have cash coming in. That is something to build from, not neglect.

It's hard to speculate the exact revenue the site makes, given we don't know all the variables and costs that go into maintaining it, paying employees, etc. But I think it would be a long shot to say they don't make enough revenue to want to improve the website by paying attention to their members.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 7:52:22 PM
At 1/6/2016 7:49:12 PM, TUF wrote:

Not all 6,000 are going to be scam accounts though. And it matches the income as well, with 6,000 dollars. A good portion of these people are browsing the website and clicking (either purposely or accidently) on ads. Makes sense because DDO ranks pretty high on Google.

As the person who "moderates" the forum sections that no one cares about, I can assure you that out of those 322,107, a majority is of ad spammers and users who go on to post one or two things and never come back. Juggle's "revenue" here, as you say, is mainly from people who aren't actually active on the site. Thus, they don't have an incentive to care about the active users since that's not where their main income comes from.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 7:58:35 PM
At 1/6/2016 7:52:22 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

As the person who "moderates" the forum sections that no one cares about, I can assure you that out of those 322,107, a majority is of ad spammers and users who go on to post one or two things and never come back.

There are a lot of ad spammers sure, but I don't think they scratch the surface of being a major influence to that 6,000 daily users stat. I think most likely they are the users who post one or two things and leave.

Juggle's "revenue" here, as you say, is mainly from people who aren't actually active on the site. Thus, they don't have an incentive to care about the active users since that's not where their main income comes from.

I know, but that's not how it has to be is what I am saying. The polls and opinions sections were created for the purpose of bringing in these new daily members, and it worked. They have an even bigger market in the serious members here that they need to figure out how to profit from. We are the ones that provide the debates that get thousands of hits and hit people's search bars. Quite frankly, I don't think the site would survive without the active serious members in place to keep quality debates going, keep a quality voting and moderation system in place, etc. The active DDO community is DDO's link to survival.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 8:10:35 PM
At 1/6/2016 7:58:35 PM, TUF wrote:

As the person who "moderates" the forum sections that no one cares about, I can assure you that out of those 322,107, a majority is of ad spammers and users who go on to post one or two things and never come back.

There are a lot of ad spammers sure, but I don't think they scratch the surface of being a major influence to that 6,000 daily users stat. I think most likely they are the users who post one or two things and leave.

Juggle's "revenue" here, as you say, is mainly from people who aren't actually active on the site. Thus, they don't have an incentive to care about the active users since that's not where their main income comes from.

I know, but that's not how it has to be is what I am saying. The polls and opinions sections were created for the purpose of bringing in these new daily members, and it worked. They have an even bigger market in the serious members here that they need to figure out how to profit from. We are the ones that provide the debates that get thousands of hits and hit people's search bars. Quite frankly, I don't think the site would survive without the active serious members in place to keep quality debates going, keep a quality voting and moderation system in place, etc. The active DDO community is DDO's link to survival.

I guess support for this idea comes from Juggle's mobile version controversy, where they changed it purely so that they could get a higher ranking from Google. But don't even get me started about the polls. Because not only are there the ad spammers and the users who post one poll and never sign on again, but there's also the enormous amount of spam accounts (in the 100s) from single persons, like heil, genesis, STALIN, negroid, etc. In sum, the active users (specifically debates) are simply attracting students who are trying to look up sources and information for something for school. So, in a way, the active users are indirectly feeding Juggle's main source of income from the site.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 8:15:33 PM

As the person who "moderates" the forum sections that no one cares about, I can assure you that out of those 322,107, a majority is of ad spammers and users who go on to post one or two things and never come back. Juggle's "revenue" here, as you say, is mainly from people who aren't actually active on the site. Thus, they don't have an incentive to care about the active users since that's not where their main income comes from.

The amount of money advertisers is based on "hits". It makes no difference if a user stays or not, the advertisers pay on traffic.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 8:15:39 PM

According to ClearWebStats:
45,000 daily visitors.
$16,000 a month.
Worth $400,000.

http://debate.org.clearwebstats.com...

According to TrafficEstimate:
35,000 daily visitors.

http://www.trafficestimate.com...

According to Similiarweb:
75,000 daily visitors.

http://www.similarweb.com...
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 8:20:35 PM

and makes about 6,000 dollars a month.

I would have to give 3,000 $2 handjobs to get that much!

3,000 $2 handjobs divided by about 30 days in a month is 100 $2 handjobs per day

100 $2 handjobs a day divided by 24 hours is about 4 $2 handjobs every hour, 8 if I only give them during the day so that I can sleep at night

If I charged $3 for a handjob and did 8 per hour during the day, $3 x (8/2) x 24 x 30 = $8,640 a month

It would then take me $150,000 divided by ($8,640 - $6,000 = profit over Juggle per month) 56.8 years to get enough handjob money for what DDO is worth while including how much Juggle would be getting in profit every month while I would be trying to collecting handjob money

56.8 years of 8 $3 handjobs an hour during the day comes out to 1,963,008 $3 handjobs total before I will have more money than what Juggle has earned from DDO during the same time span

Challenge..... Accepted.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 8:26:32 PM
At 1/6/2016 8:15:39 PM, donald.keller wrote:

45,000 daily visitors.
$16,000 a month.
Worth $400,000.

35,000 daily visitors.

Not sure where that stat is coming from after clicking on the link.

75,000 daily visitors.

One thing all the stats seem to have in common is demonstrate that the site definitely profits more than the pennies we were led to believe they were making.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 8:29:21 PM
At 1/6/2016 8:20:35 PM, imabench wrote:

3,000 $2 handjobs divided by about 30 days in a month is 100 $2 handjobs per day

100 $2 handjobs a day divided by 24 hours is about 4 $2 handjobs every hour, 8 if I only give them during the day so that I can sleep at night

If I charged $3 for a handjob and did 8 per hour during the day, $3 x (8/2) x 24 x 30 = $8,640 a month

It would then take me $150,000 divided by ($8,640 - $6,000 = profit over Juggle per month) 56.8 years to get enough handjob money for what DDO is worth while including how much Juggle would be getting in profit every month while I would be trying to collecting handjob money

56.8 years of 8 $3 handjobs an hour during the day comes out to 1,963,008 $3 handjobs total before I will have more money than what Juggle has earned from DDO during the same time span

Double benefit, you will have the strongest wrists in the world as well. All Juggle will have is some nerdy website. Your idea is much better.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 8:41:45 PM
At 1/6/2016 8:29:21 PM, TUF wrote:

Double benefit, you will have the strongest wrists in the world as well. All Juggle will have is some nerdy website. Your idea is much better.

Right? Work hardyer, not smartyer ;D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 9:50:00 PM
At 1/6/2016 8:26:32 PM, TUF wrote:
At 1/6/2016 8:15:39 PM, donald.keller wrote:

45,000 daily visitors.
$16,000 a month.
Worth $400,000.

35,000 daily visitors.

Not sure where that stat is coming from after clicking on the link.

I divided the montly traffic by 30 days.

75,000 daily visitors.

One thing all the stats seem to have in common is demonstrate that the site definitely profits more than the pennies we were led to believe they were making.

Yea... if we use Clearwebstats as a base for pay per view, the site would range from $12,000 to $22,000 a month.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 12:11:08 AM

And you don't like common core math
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 12:21:31 AM
At 1/7/2016 12:11:08 AM, TBR wrote:

Thats because Common Core math doesnt teach people in the two most important faucets of life: DDO..... And $2 handjobs

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2016 1:17:23 AM
At 1/7/2016 12:21:31 AM, imabench wrote:
At 1/7/2016 12:11:08 AM, TBR wrote:

Thats because Common Core math doesnt teach people in the two most important faucets of life: DDO..... And $2 handjobs

Good point. They should start teaching these to 2nd graders right away.