Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Do try your best when you make arguments?

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 12:15:49 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Do try your best when you make arguments in DDO? I am too lazy, so mostly I provide a weak case mostly with extend.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 12:39:43 PM
I try to open as strong as possible. Tbh, I think most debates are decided by the time the first round is complete.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 12:45:26 PM
At 1/11/2016 12:15:49 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Do try your best when you make arguments in DDO? I am too lazy, so mostly I provide a weak case mostly with extend.

It really depends on the opponent and how passionate I am on the topic. Most of the time yes, however, there are a few where I don't.
#Don'tlookatDATXDUDE'sprofilebecauseyoureyeswillexplode ~ Petfish
#Treebrokethechurchbells ~ Discipulus_Didicit
Don't quote me ~fire_wings
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig. ~Seventh
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 1:48:54 PM

This describes me lol.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 1:56:02 PM
At 1/11/2016 1:48:54 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:

This describes me lol.

You too? Depending on the debate.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 3:30:59 PM

I was having fun with the debates, but several problems started. One, time. Just don't always have the time to do the work. I have scads of random time to make posts, but not to do the work for a debate. Two, getting lazy. I am intrested in the subject, get jazzed about what I want to say, then board and just don't bother.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2016 4:27:36 PM

Completely disagree. I'm often told that there is a significant difference between my rebuttals and arguments. This is because I spend a huge amount of time on my arguments and develop on them the more I debate the topic. Rebuttals are limited to the 3 day period since you can only guess what cards your opponent will pull out.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 12:39:16 AM
Depends.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 1:28:44 AM
At 1/11/2016 12:39:43 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
I try to open as strong as possible. Tbh, I think most debates are decided by the time the first round is complete.

I might agree with this in general...but in any debate where the sides are fairly matched, I disagree.

But I think the first round is generally the hardest, most research intensive round. If you mess up the first round it sets you wayyyyy back. Subsequent rounds lean heavily on R1, and R1 is where you set your strategy. So I agree that opening as strong as possible is a must.

I'd also say that you are way better off putting a lot of effort into R1 and slacking off in other rounds. Do the research and thought up front and the rest of the debate will be easier.

Usually I put a lot of effort into my opening. When I have a debate I care about, I'll go to a coffee shop and will sit there for 2-4 hours doing research. Then I'll spend an hour compiling that into my opening case. In subsequent rounds I give myself a time limit and do a line-by-line rebuttal, research ad hoc, and edit to the character limit until I'm satisfied or I hit the limit. So by far the most time intensive part is the opening round.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 1:45:16 AM
Honestly, it depends on my adversary.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 5:17:33 AM
At 1/12/2016 1:30:41 AM, Raisor wrote:
At 1/12/2016 12:39:16 AM, 16kadams wrote:
Depends.

True dat...true dat

Same.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Briannj17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2016 3:36:55 PM

Yes I try my best. However my best can change from day to day. Some days are better than others but whenever I make my arguments I make my best arguments at the time. Otherwise there is no sense in debating anything if I don't provide my best case.
http://www.debate.org...
King of Poetry in this poem lacking era