Jump to topic:

Redefining the motion with some conditions

Joceychin72
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 6:18:55 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Hi. my boy just started to participate in debate. I do not have his coach contact details yet. but he has to prepare some points to be discussed in school. I do not know debate rules myself too. I always feel that , sometimes, we cannot look at things as it is, there are exceptions.

my question is,
Is defining the motion with some conditions normally allowed ? eg you say you oppose this motion except under conditions 1,2,3 etc. That is, if we take conditions 1,2 3 into consideration, then the motion make sense. generally, it does not. similarly vice versa. Will that be helping the other party ?

You see, the dilemma is that we may oppose certain things but under certain circumstance, we feel it is necessary.

Also, how can one overcome the difficulty of defending a motion if you believe more with the opposition views but you are assigned to defend from the proposition perspective ? You see, there are motions are are geared towards 1 side, eg many people, including yourself might feel strongly against. But you have no choice but to speak up for it.

For some advice please

thank you
jocey
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 6:24:42 AM
At 1/14/2016 6:18:55 AM, Joceychin72 wrote:
Hi. my boy just started to participate in debate. I do not have his coach contact details yet. but he has to prepare some points to be discussed in school. I do not know debate rules myself too. I always feel that , sometimes, we cannot look at things as it is, there are exceptions.

my question is,
Is defining the motion with some conditions normally allowed ? eg you say you oppose this motion except under conditions 1,2,3 etc. That is, if we take conditions 1,2 3 into consideration, then the motion make sense. generally, it does not. similarly vice versa. Will that be helping the other party ?

You see, the dilemma is that we may oppose certain things but under certain circumstance, we feel it is necessary.

Also, how can one overcome the difficulty of defending a motion if you believe more with the opposition views but you are assigned to defend from the proposition perspective ? You see, there are motions are are geared towards 1 side, eg many people, including yourself might feel strongly against. But you have no choice but to speak up for it.

For some advice please

thank you
jocey

message either of these people, they will all be able to offer you help

http://www.debate.org...
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 6:26:26 AM

my question is,

For some advice please

thank you
jocey

Just for a general reference though, just because you don't support a motion does not mean you should not be able to defend it. It helps you understand different perspective and even sharpens on your own views, and help you formulate arguments in favor of what position you actually hold.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 7:15:29 AM

my question is,

What you're describing is effectively a plan text. You want to say that "Hey, we support the topic when it's applied to this context and this context is the only place we support it in". Generally, this is a legitimate debating strategy if you want to structure your case this way, especially if the event you're competing in is Policy/Cross Examination debate where it's the norm to do this. These types of cases aren't acceptable in every type of event, though. If I knew what event your kid was competing in I could be more helpful.

Initially it can be kind of hard to deal with, but as you spend more and more time researching topics and stuff like that, you start conditioning your mind to look at both sides of the topic. So while typically while I believe that abortion should be legal, if you put me on the converse side of the topic and tell me to defend why abortion should be considered illegal, I can still debate fine because I'm used to thinking about things from the other side as well. Pretty useful thing in debate and out of debate.

For some advice please

thank you
jocey
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Joceychin72
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 8:22:15 AM
Thanks for all the very useful comments and advice.

the motion is :

Homework is unnecessary.

In opposition, so no, is necessary but provided not too much. Is that acceptable ?
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2016 1:55:55 PM
At 1/14/2016 8:22:15 AM, Joceychin72 wrote:
Thanks for all the very useful comments and advice.

the motion is :

Homework is unnecessary.

In opposition, so no, is necessary but provided not too much. Is that acceptable ?

Yes that is acceptable.

Often times this is phrased as a "counterplan" where you are negating the resolution but still advocating a deviation from the status quo.

This sounds like a pretty formal debate setting, so to explain without jargon:

"It may be the case that homework is often assigned in excess, but homework is still necessary for an effective education. We must recognize that in the right proportion homework is crucial and vital, but anything in excess becomes damaging. If you give a man too much water he will die, but excessive application does not render water unnecessary for mans life."

Also drop in a quote fr Aristotle, people like it when you quote smart people.

As a side note, I would only talk about it being provided too much if Pro argued homework is too burdensome.