Jump to topic:

short story challanges

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2010 9:04:25 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
First off, I make sure that all credit to starting this cool debate idea goes to BQP.

the rules BQP came up with are as follows
- In round 1, PRO will give three topics from CON to choose from.
- In round 1, CON will give three topics from PRO to choose from.
- In round 2, PRO will announce his chosen topic as given by CON and GIVE A BRIEF PROLOGUE to the story to build dramatic effect.
- In round 2, CON will do the same as above.
- In round 3, PRO and CON will complete their respective short stories.

Voting:
- Everything stays the same except:
- Best Argument = Best Story
- Sources = Rhetoric
- Conduct = Relevance to topic

But I bring this up in this thread to start discussion about possible alternatives. Like the addition to he Conduct vote of whether or not the story is original or plagiarized. or if a fourth round could be added not for story but for the debaters/writers to call out that it was plagiarized or to give one round of persuasive literary critique.

1st Lord suggested there be regulations on profanity http://www.debate.org..., which I am inclined to agree with, we don't want that in regular debates like the 'bananas are fun' debate that rightfully got the makers account closed; so I should think we don't want it in short story debates either.

what are yall's thought or ideas on this new debate?
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 12:22:01 AM
Sounds interesting.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2010 10:40:05 AM
At 10/22/2010 3:11:42 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Marauder has lost S/G off the bat.

I cant ever win this one. :_( I just accept it.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.