Jump to topic:

Me on hangouts

BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 5:30:22 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
So as of recently, some people have been asking me to talk to them on hangouts, and though I am pretty shy, that's not entirely the problem. I am actually 14 and live with my folks, and I don't want them to hear a bunch of noises, ask what's going on, hear a conversation, or get involved.

A lot of times they go out on Tuesdays, but they only are away for an hour, so I literally have such a small amount of time to talk.

If anyone wants to arrange a conversation with me on hangouts, talk to me in this forum or PM me please. I will tell you when I can plan a conversation.

Also, how do you make it so that only your profile picture shows in a hangouts call and not your face? I don't want people to see what I look like honestly. It would be too embarrassing.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 5:46:58 AM
You're over-thinking this. Just show up when you want to show up and leave when you want to leave. When you click the link, you're brought to a page where you can select your mic/cam options before clicking to join the actual room, so you don't have to have your cam on if you don't want to.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 5:49:00 AM
At 1/17/2016 5:46:58 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
You're over-thinking this. Just show up when you want to show up and leave when you want to leave. When you click the link, you're brought to a page where you can select your mic/cam options before clicking to join the actual room, so you don't have to have your cam on if you don't want to.

And does it work if I put headphones on?
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 5:49:50 AM
At 1/17/2016 5:49:00 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:

I've never done it, but I don't see why it wouldn't.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 5:51:34 AM
At 1/17/2016 5:49:50 AM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

I've never done it, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Well I have to sleep. Guess I will watch the next DDO jeapordy.

Thanks.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:05:37 AM

Yes.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:08:00 AM
At 1/17/2016 5:30:22 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:
So as of recently, some people have been asking me to talk to them on hangouts, and though I am pretty shy, that's not entirely the problem. I am actually 14 and live with my folks, and I don't want them to hear a bunch of noises, ask what's going on, hear a conversation, or get involved.

A lot of times they go out on Tuesdays, but they only are away for an hour, so I literally have such a small amount of time to talk.

If anyone wants to arrange a conversation with me on hangouts, talk to me in this forum or PM me please. I will tell you when I can plan a conversation.

Also, how do you make it so that only your profile picture shows in a hangouts call and not your face? I don't want people to see what I look like honestly. It would be too embarrassing.

It's ok. And if you were in the hangout the other night when I was blitzed out of my mind drunk... know that hangouts usually aren't that exciting, but they are fun.

On balance, most people here are pretty interesting to talk too, even if some of them have weird ideas about things or, well... ya know... have too much to drink every now and again.
Tsar of DDO
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 4:29:36 PM

Holy sh*t, that's literally my situation. I have the exact problem.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:46:43 PM
At 1/17/2016 6:05:37 AM, Rosalie wrote:

Yes.

I tried it when I joined SolonKR's call, but his voice was audible and the headphones didn't work.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 6:53:28 PM
At 1/17/2016 4:29:36 PM, tajshar2k wrote:

Holy sh*t, that's literally my situation. I have the exact problem.

Do you usually use DDO on mobile? If not, you could easily block and shut off the camera before entering the hangout (usually there's a popup that allows you to do so before joining.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 7:11:49 PM

I will be on the hangouts shortly, just once my mother leaves, so I can have some peace and quiet.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 7:14:15 PM
At 1/17/2016 7:11:49 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I will be on the hangouts shortly, just once my mother leaves, so I can have some peace and quiet.

Both my parents are home, that's the problem.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 7:15:19 PM
At 1/17/2016 7:14:15 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:

Are you in a room where they cannot interact with you directly, or are you in the living room/kitchen?
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 7:16:44 PM
At 1/17/2016 7:15:19 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Are you in a room where they cannot interact with you directly, or are you in the living room/kitchen?

Watching football.

Trust me, it's a small house, they will hear me.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 7:17:48 PM
At 1/17/2016 7:16:44 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:

Watching football.

And talking is a problem for them?

It's all up to you in the end. I probably won't be on the hangouts for some time, at least until my parents leave the house.

BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 7:19:39 PM
At 1/17/2016 7:17:48 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Watching football.

And talking is a problem for them?

It's all up to you in the end. I probably won't be on the hangouts for some time, at least until my parents leave the house.

They can be overprotective, or they might get in the middle of it, I would rather do it when I am alone.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 7:19:52 PM

Watching football.

Don't need to use a mic, hangouts have a written chat option. (Unless on mobile)
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2016 7:21:11 PM
At 1/17/2016 7:19:52 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Watching football.

Don't need to use a mic, hangouts have a written chat option. (Unless on mobile)

It's on mobile.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2016 7:45:46 PM

1. Buy earbuds.
2. There's an option that should appear BEFORE you actually enter the hangout that will allow you to turn your device's camera off. Whenever your G+ account's profile pic (whatever that may be) is being displayed instead of your face, then you'll know that it's been turned off. In any case, nobody on the hangout (except for me) is a 50 year old pedo man.
3. Like someone else said, you can enter and leave when you please. As long as you don't join a mafia game or something like that you won't be under any obligation to stay longer than you need to.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 12:36:24 AM
Yeah, jump in and put some headphones or earbuds in and disable the camera. You can just communicate by typing to us. If your family shares the computer use Google incognito also if you're that paranoid.