Jump to topic:

Shameful Silence

Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:09:30 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
In the year I have been on this site I haven't posted a great deal or read a lot of posts, but from what I have posted and read, I have noticed a frequency of what I will call "shameful silence". There have been a fair number of times when I have proven an "opponent" incorrect, and they then refused to respond to that proof or to questions challenging their position. There have also been times I was accused of something or other, and vindicated myself, requiring the accuser to answer for his/her error, just to be ignored. From reading other posts, I have noticed this happening to a few other members as well.

This topic is to see how many other members have experienced this on this site. If so, do they attribute the "shameful silence" to:

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

I discourage any use of member's names in this topic. For those who respond, please mention incidents only, omitting any names. Mostly, I'm just curious to see how many others have experienced this, and how they feel about it.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:58:29 AM
At 1/19/2016 5:09:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
In the year I have been on this site I haven't posted a great deal or read a lot of posts, but from what I have posted and read, I have noticed a frequency of what I will call "shameful silence". There have been a fair number of times when I have proven an "opponent" incorrect, and they then refused to respond to that proof or to questions challenging their position. There have also been times I was accused of something or other, and vindicated myself, requiring the accuser to answer for his/her error, just to be ignored. From reading other posts, I have noticed this happening to a few other members as well.

This topic is to see how many other members have experienced this on this site. If so, do they attribute the "shameful silence" to:

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

: D - All the above?

I discourage any use of member's names in this topic. For those who respond, please mention incidents only, omitting any names. Mostly, I'm just curious to see how many others have experienced this, and how they feel about it.

+1

It's one of the main reasons I limit my activity on this site. My time is worth more to me - than what it would take to get any one of the elitist (sic) members especially to cede a point where one has been made. If you haven't noticed, they will even further stack the deck by vote bombing your debates and by removing any of your votes that they disagree with - for even the most trivial reasons they can justify to themselves.

It really is a shame because a site like this has so much more potential than what is being realized here presently.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:58:32 AM

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

It's much more common that another person ceases to respond because they either lose track of the conversation or no longer see it as productive.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 6:05:58 AM

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

What do you expect? Full mea culpa? People are fighting for their position, and when they are lost, pride will not allow them to admit that they are wrong.

Since we are on it, wrong is not always as black and white. I would guess you are missing distinction.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 7:52:15 AM
At 1/19/2016 5:58:32 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

It's much more common that another person ceases to respond because they either lose track of the conversation or no longer see it as productive.

While that's certainly true to some degree, it far from excuses every instance. Enough that I wouldn't call it "much more common". Especially with the alert functions in play.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 7:57:30 AM
At 1/19/2016 6:05:58 AM, TBR wrote:

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

What do you expect? Full mea culpa? People are fighting for their position, and when they are lost, pride will not allow them to admit that they are wrong.

Since we are on it, wrong is not always as black and white. I would guess you are missing distinction.

I expect people to have the integrity to be responsible for what they post. Some actually are. It's a sad commentary on humanity that most are not.

This "distinction" that I'm allegedly missing, is that black and white?
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 1:53:45 PM
Nobody owes you a response to your posts.

I someone gets bored or frustrated with an exchange it is their prerogative to end the exchange.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 3:19:54 PM
At 1/19/2016 1:53:45 PM, Raisor wrote:

I someone gets bored or frustrated with an exchange it is their prerogative to end the exchange.

By all means, let them betray their cowardice by failing to take responsibility for their stupidity.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 3:43:12 PM
Silence isn't necessarily bad. I don't think flame wars are particularly beneficial to the site, so a lot of time if I sense something is getting too heated and personal, I just leave the conversation, without even reading what was said to me
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 3:46:11 PM
At 1/19/2016 7:57:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

I expect people to have the integrity to be responsible for what they post. Some actually are. It's a sad commentary on humanity that most are not.

What I am saying is, you may not be as right as you think, and the other party becomes frustrated or tired of attempting to explain. It is rare that anyone has a point that is a knock-out provable right position.
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 3:47:09 PM

I agree, there have been few times I have never responded to someone, almost always it was out of boredom, occasionally this happens because I forget. It has nothing to do with cowardice or "shameful silence."
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 3:56:13 PM
At 1/19/2016 3:46:11 PM, TBR wrote:
At 1/19/2016 7:57:30 AM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

What I am saying is, you may not be as right as you think, and the other party becomes frustrated or tired of attempting to explain. It is rare that anyone has a point that is a knock-out provable right position.

I completely agree. But I'm not talking about the lengthy arguments where no middle ground is ever found. I'm referring to those posts where an incorrect statement is made, or an accusation against you is made and you are able to show the poster their error, and they refuse to respond to their proven error, often repeating the error a short time later.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 3:58:11 PM
At 1/19/2016 3:47:09 PM, kasmic wrote:

I agree, there have been few times I have never responded to someone, almost always it was out of boredom, occasionally this happens because I forget. It has nothing to do with cowardice or "shameful silence."

Please see my response in post #12.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 4:55:14 PM
At 1/19/2016 5:58:32 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

+1
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 4:55:52 PM
At 1/19/2016 3:43:12 PM, Wylted wrote:
Silence isn't necessarily bad. I don't think flame wars are particularly beneficial to the site, so a lot of time if I sense something is getting too heated and personal, I just leave the conversation, without even reading what was said to me

- Explains a lot.
Current Debates:

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 4:56:30 PM

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

- Hm...
Current Debates:

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 4:57:15 PM
At 1/19/2016 4:56:30 PM, Yassine wrote:

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

- Hm...

Speaking of yourself I presume.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 4:58:12 PM
At 1/19/2016 4:57:15 PM, TBR wrote:

- Sigh...
Current Debates:

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:00:57 PM
At 1/19/2016 3:19:54 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

By all means, let them betray their cowardice by failing to take responsibility for their stupidity.

If you think failing to respond to an Internet post from a stranger is "cowardice" your life experience is very limited.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:03:42 PM
At 1/19/2016 4:58:12 PM, Yassine wrote:

- Sigh...

You couldn't even admit you were wrong on imported oil

https://www.eia.gov...
Since May 2011, the United States has been a net exporter (exports were greater than imports) of noncrude petroleum liquids, refined petroleum products, and biofuels. The volume of net exports of U.S. noncrude petroleum liquids and products in June 2015 was equivalent to about 10% of the total volume of U.S. petroleum consumption in June 2015.

Obama says U.S. produces more oil than it imports for first time in nearly 20 years
http://www.politifact.com...
Domestic crude oil production surpassed crude oil imports in October 2013 for the first time since 1995.

We also consulted the U.S. Energy Information Administration. According to their November 2013 report, the United States produced an average of 7.8 million barrels of oil per day in October and imported 7.5 million barrels of oil per day

But, if Allah didn't say so, its not fact to you.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:11:47 PM
At 1/19/2016 5:00:57 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 1/19/2016 3:19:54 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

If you think failing to respond to an Internet post from a stranger is "cowardice" your life experience is very limited.

That's not what I'm talking about at all. I'm talking about taking responsibility for your own posts. That's clearly stated in the OP.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:32:08 PM
At 1/19/2016 5:03:42 PM, TBR wrote:

- Sigh...

- Because I ain't. You are.

Since May 2011, the United States has been a net exporter (exports were greater than imports) of noncrude petroleum liquids, refined petroleum products, and biofuels. The volume of net exports of U.S. noncrude petroleum liquids and products in June 2015 was equivalent to about 10% of the total volume of U.S. petroleum consumption in June 2015.

- Key word here being, non-crude petroleum. If you noticed there is a link in the article that takes you into page of detailed information about all the production, imports & exports (http://www.eia.gov...):
=> When considering all oil products (Crude Oil & Petroleum Products), the imports (8,800k bpd) are far higher than the exports (4,628k bpd).

Obama says U.S. produces more oil than it imports for first time in nearly 20 years
Domestic crude oil production surpassed crude oil imports in October 2013 for the first time since 1995.

- Sure, we've been over this several times. The US does indeed produce more oil than it imports, but it still imports much more oil than it exports.

We also consulted the U.S. Energy Information Administration. According to their November 2013 report, the United States produced an average of 7.8 million barrels of oil per day in October and imported 7.5 million barrels of oil per day

- Case in point. In the same year, it imported, on average, 9.8 million bpd, but exported only 3.6 million bpd (http://www.eia.gov...). <= This, in terms of all oil products, crude & otherwise.

- This is not helping your case. AT ALL. So, would you be willing to admit you were wrong now?!
Current Debates:

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:36:25 PM

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

I think youre just bored with the swing of things.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:37:16 PM
At 1/19/2016 5:32:08 PM, Yassine wrote:

- Sigh...

- Key word here being, non-crude petroleum. If you noticed there is a link in the article that takes you into page of detailed information about all the production, imports & exports (http://www.eia.gov...):
=> When considering all oil products (Crude Oil & Petroleum Products), the imports (8,800k bpd) are far higher than the exports (4,628k bpd).

- Sure, we've been over this several times. The US does indeed produce more oil than it imports, but it still imports much more oil than it exports.

- Case in point. In the same year, it imported, on average, 9.8 million bpd, but exported only 3.6 million bpd (http://www.eia.gov...). <= This, in terms of all oil products, crude & otherwise.

- This is not helping your case. AT ALL. So, would you be willing to admit you were wrong now?!

Islam is a sadistic distortion of preexisting religions: Judaism and Christianity. If Jews and Christians and Jews are infidels, reading about ideas, concepts, and people from those religions that have been airlifted into your religion after the fact is logically narccisistic and sociopathic.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:39:30 PM

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

I don't ignore anyone on purpose. I continue to ram my head against the wall in the manner of my opponent until they submit out of frustration or drown themselves in cereal bowl milk. Surrender through attrition.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:41:24 PM
At 1/19/2016 5:36:25 PM, inferno wrote:

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

Then I suggest you refine your thinking ability.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:43:54 PM
At 1/19/2016 5:32:08 PM, Yassine wrote:

- Sigh...

And I told you (and showed you) that we have the refining capacity to make it into stuff, hence the reason. You are being a stubborn fool.

Yet again. Missing the point or being willfully stupid. Import crud, export the finished product. Further, your number says nothing of production, only import and export.

Are you this dim?
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:45:08 PM
At 1/19/2016 5:39:30 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

I don't ignore anyone on purpose. I continue to ram my head against the wall in the manner of my opponent until they submit out of frustration or drown themselves in cereal bowl milk. Surrender through attrition.

Drowning in one's cereal bowl milk ... I might steal that.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:46:06 PM
At 1/19/2016 5:41:24 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

Its refined enough. As I said earlier, youre just a boring person trying to prove to everyone here that youre not.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2016 5:49:06 PM
At 1/19/2016 5:46:06 PM, inferno wrote:
At 1/19/2016 5:41:24 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

Cowardice?

Lack of integrity?

Hollow pride?

D - All the above?

Its refined enough. As I said earlier, youre just a boring person trying to prove to everyone here that youre not.

Posted by a member whose unsupported opinion shows no merit.