Jump to topic:

1 Year on DDO

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 2:12:40 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Not sure if this belongs in the DDO forum, so forgive me if it doesn't.

Today is January 25th, which means it's been exactly one year since I joined the site. The site has changed me so much over this past year. Not just in level of knowledge and debating skill, but as a person. I've become much more knowledge-oriented, and have spent more time reading nonfiction books, et cetera. The site's convinced me to take up a job in the field of research. As for debating skill, that should be obvious. I've really improved. While Elo isn't really the best measure of debating skill, I've managed to come up to the #10 spot on the Elo leaderboard -- which isn't bad. I'm not among the best debaters on the site, but I reckon I've become fairly good (especially over the last few months, when I've experimented debating topics I don't know a thing about). When I joined the site, the resolutions I drafted were largely fact-oriented, and now they've become resolutions of policy, et cetera which are more of a challenge.

One more thing I've learned in debate through my time on the site is concision and simplicity. Before I joined the site, every essay I wrote had some complex words and language/vocabulary so deep it was nearly incoherent. The site's taught me to how to express what I think in simple, accessible language -- something I seriously wasn't smart enough to do. I've also managed to increase concision. Around a month or two after my joining the site, I started typing extensively long arguments and source-spamming; in a debate 4 months ago, I actually had thirty-three sources in a single round (though, to be fair, I read every single one of them), and even when I only had around 10 sources (which itself is a lot), I used to have to put them in external links due to character space. But I've learned to become much more concise, and in my most recent debate (carbon tax), I actually typed a fairly strong argument in around 7k characters, which is pretty concise.

The quality of my arguments and my debating style has changed entirely -- I've moved on to a more simple, expressive style than my earlier ones. Look at my debate with Philocat, which was a terrible one on my part:

http://www.debate.org...

...and my current debate on the carbon tax, and you'll understand the music of what I mean to convey.

Some people have also had a great influence on me emotionally, and I've made some good friends on this site, such as Voice-of-Truth, Diqiucun_Cunmin, 16kadams, ResponsiblyIrresponsible, YYW, 1harderthanyouthink, bsh1, Zarroette, n7, Fkkize, Romanii, Skepsikyma, Whiteflame, etc. I've really enjoyed my conversations with them, and have had conversations at length with nearly all of them. I thank all of you for the fun times I've had in this past year, and I'm sorry if I'm forgetting anyone.

I've also stayed away from most drama and conflict on this site successfully, and have managed to maintain a cool, if not good, relationship with everyone. I haven't even got in one flame war, which is really great imo. I've had relatively cold relations with only one member in the past, which I've recently rectified and I've become friends with that member again. (We didn't even exchange any insults, et cetera, just maintained a polite distance from each other.)

Everything I've learned on DDO hasn't been due to stuff irl -- for instance, I have no formal debate training. But DDO has been the reason for my being selected at a parliamentary style debate tournament which is coming up around 2 weeks from now, which means I will have debate experience formally because of this. My online debate experience has allowed me to develop myself in debating irl.

For all these reasons, I end this OP with three words: Thank you, DDO.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 2:13:20 PM
I still have a lot to learn, and I hope DDO will teach me them!
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 2:50:06 PM
Congratulations. Yes, You did improve. Sorry to say but your first debates on the site were not good.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 3:24:14 PM
I remember when you first joined.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 3:36:54 PM
At 1/25/2016 3:24:14 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

lol #embarrassed
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 3:37:50 PM
At 1/25/2016 2:51:38 PM, XLAV wrote:
This belongs to the personal forum.

I considered that, but decided that the DDO forum is more appropriate for it.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 4:40:06 PM
At 1/25/2016 2:13:20 PM, tejretics wrote:

Your debate style has changed significantly -- it is a lot simpler and easy to read. Your abilities at debate greatly surpass mine, and considering that I had irl debate experience and you didn't, that is amazing. I actually look up to you when it comes to skill level.

I remember when you joined. I'll be honest, we had a little falling out there at the beginning, which I couldn't apologize enough for. Thankfully, we found a common interest, and were "brought together" (if you will) through AOW. Since then, I have enjoyed many conversations with you.

I have noticed that, since my return from hiatus, we seem to have fallen away from pure-friendship conversation and drifted more toward controversial topics of discussion, which I do enjoy, but I would like to try to re-engage in the friendship aspect. In all honesty, I miss it a little bit; you were the first person on this website that I felt I was able to have an intelligent conversation with, and since I didn't (and still don't) get that much anymore IRL, I looked forward to talking with you. I would love to begin doing that again.

And you're welcome, :)
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 4:41:36 PM
At 1/25/2016 4:40:06 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Your debate style has changed significantly -- it is a lot simpler and easy to read. Your abilities at debate greatly surpass mine, and considering that I had irl debate experience and you didn't, that is amazing. I actually look up to you when it comes to skill level.

thanks

I remember when you joined. I'll be honest, we had a little falling out there at the beginning, which I couldn't apologize enough for. Thankfully, we found a common interest, and were "brought together" (if you will) through AOW. Since then, I have enjoyed many conversations with you.

Yeah, I remember that one...you accused me of plagiarism and then votebombed my debate :p

I have noticed that, since my return from hiatus, we seem to have fallen away from pure-friendship conversation and drifted more toward controversial topics of discussion, which I do enjoy, but I would like to try to re-engage in the friendship aspect. In all honesty, I miss it a little bit; you were the first person on this website that I felt I was able to have an intelligent conversation with, and since I didn't (and still don't) get that much anymore IRL, I looked forward to talking with you. I would love to begin doing that again.

We really should.

ty again
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 4:51:07 PM
At 1/25/2016 4:41:36 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 1/25/2016 4:40:06 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

thanks

Yeah, I remember that one...you accused me of plagiarism and then votebombed my debate :p

Yeah. I was a stupid, self-absorbed jerk at the time.... Sorry again :P

We really should.

yay

ty again
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 9:58:34 PM
*hugs* Congratulations, Tej :) It's been great having you on the site.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TheProphett
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 10:34:58 PM
At 1/25/2016 2:12:40 PM, tejretics wrote:

Congrats! Thanks for being a great representative of our age group on the site ;)
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers

Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 12:50:55 AM

Congrats.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Forever23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 1:10:03 AM
I still have a lot to learn, and I hope DDO will teach me them!

You do and Im sure youll keep improving!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 2:22:47 AM
4 years right here.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 2:27:40 AM
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com...

It is, after all, your DDO b-day.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 2:39:23 AM
At 1/26/2016 2:27:40 AM, bsh1 wrote:
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com...

It is, after all, your DDO b-day.

He/she is so cute...
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 2:47:32 AM

Wow! Hard to believe I was here before you... O.o

Regardless, congratulations! :) You've definitely been a positive asset to the site!
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 3:02:50 AM

You belong in the personal forum.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 4:42:55 AM

You have improved, both as a debater and a voter, considerably since you've been on DDO. That means that you are learning, and at a rate faster than I would reasonably expect a kid of your age to be able to do. These are very positive signs. I think DDO has, in that regard been good for you. I also think, in other respects, that you have been good for DDO. A multifaceted success story, indeed. You do, however, have much to learn, and I'm confident that in time, you will do that.
Tsar of DDO
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 5:14:14 AM
At 1/26/2016 4:42:55 AM, YYW wrote:

You have improved, both as a debater and a voter, considerably since you've been on DDO. That means that you are learning, and at a rate faster than I would reasonably expect a kid of your age to be able to do. These are very positive signs. I think DDO has, in that regard been good for you. I also think, in other respects, that you have been good for DDO. A multifaceted success story, indeed. You do, however, have much to learn, and I'm confident that in time, you will do that.

Thanks.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 9:00:55 AM
At 1/25/2016 3:36:54 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 1/25/2016 3:24:14 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

lol #embarrassed

I'll say that, while you have improved considerably as a member - and some people might point to you as indication that members whose contributions are nil when they are first active can become good members - I would say that you were always one of the better ones. Despite some people's problems with your votes, and maybe debating style and ability - I would have always said that there weren't any 13 year olds at the time people began to get to know you 8-10 or so months ago who did any better.

I'm happy you've moved to more policy-based topics. That was a good decision on your part.

While I don't debate often (it's been nearly a year since I did a solo debate), I can say that DDO still made me an immensely better speaker and writer (not that I was bad to begin), and it made me better in communication (however introverted I may be). It's had quite a few positive effects on me, and I hope that you also continue to reap the benefits of activity on the site.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 3:54:57 PM

Congrats, Tej! We should talk more lol
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 11:42:23 PM
At 1/26/2016 3:02:50 AM, Maikuru wrote:

You belong in the personal forum.

I am the personal forum.
PeacefulChaos