Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

1 Year on DDO

tejretics
Posts: 6,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 2:12:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Not sure if this belongs in the DDO forum, so forgive me if it doesn't.

Today is January 25th, which means it's been exactly one year since I joined the site. The site has changed me so much over this past year. Not just in level of knowledge and debating skill, but as a person. I've become much more knowledge-oriented, and have spent more time reading nonfiction books, et cetera. The site's convinced me to take up a job in the field of research. As for debating skill, that should be obvious. I've really improved. While Elo isn't really the best measure of debating skill, I've managed to come up to the #10 spot on the Elo leaderboard -- which isn't bad. I'm not among the best debaters on the site, but I reckon I've become fairly good (especially over the last few months, when I've experimented debating topics I don't know a thing about). When I joined the site, the resolutions I drafted were largely fact-oriented, and now they've become resolutions of policy, et cetera which are more of a challenge.

One more thing I've learned in debate through my time on the site is concision and simplicity. Before I joined the site, every essay I wrote had some complex words and language/vocabulary so deep it was nearly incoherent. The site's taught me to how to express what I think in simple, accessible language -- something I seriously wasn't smart enough to do. I've also managed to increase concision. Around a month or two after my joining the site, I started typing extensively long arguments and source-spamming; in a debate 4 months ago, I actually had thirty-three sources in a single round (though, to be fair, I read every single one of them), and even when I only had around 10 sources (which itself is a lot), I used to have to put them in external links due to character space. But I've learned to become much more concise, and in my most recent debate (carbon tax), I actually typed a fairly strong argument in around 7k characters, which is pretty concise.

The quality of my arguments and my debating style has changed entirely -- I've moved on to a more simple, expressive style than my earlier ones. Look at my debate with Philocat, which was a terrible one on my part:

http://www.debate.org...

...and my current debate on the carbon tax, and you'll understand the music of what I mean to convey.

Some people have also had a great influence on me emotionally, and I've made some good friends on this site, such as Voice-of-Truth, Diqiucun_Cunmin, 16kadams, ResponsiblyIrresponsible, YYW, 1harderthanyouthink, bsh1, Zarroette, n7, Fkkize, Romanii, Skepsikyma, Whiteflame, etc. I've really enjoyed my conversations with them, and have had conversations at length with nearly all of them. I thank all of you for the fun times I've had in this past year, and I'm sorry if I'm forgetting anyone.

I've also stayed away from most drama and conflict on this site successfully, and have managed to maintain a cool, if not good, relationship with everyone. I haven't even got in one flame war, which is really great imo. I've had relatively cold relations with only one member in the past, which I've recently rectified and I've become friends with that member again. (We didn't even exchange any insults, et cetera, just maintained a polite distance from each other.)

Everything I've learned on DDO hasn't been due to stuff irl -- for instance, I have no formal debate training. But DDO has been the reason for my being selected at a parliamentary style debate tournament which is coming up around 2 weeks from now, which means I will have debate experience formally because of this. My online debate experience has allowed me to develop myself in debating irl.

For all these reasons, I end this OP with three words: Thank you, DDO.
Just because you're magic doesn't mean you aren't real.

http://gotejas.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 3:24:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I remember when you first joined.
I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon.

So much has gone, and little is new.

DDO Risk King
tejretics
Posts: 6,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 3:36:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/25/2016 3:24:14 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I remember when you first joined.

lol #embarrassed
Just because you're magic doesn't mean you aren't real.

http://gotejas.com...
tejretics
Posts: 6,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 3:37:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/25/2016 2:51:38 PM, XLAV wrote:
This belongs to the personal forum.

I considered that, but decided that the DDO forum is more appropriate for it.
Just because you're magic doesn't mean you aren't real.

http://gotejas.com...
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 9,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 4:40:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/25/2016 2:13:20 PM, tejretics wrote:

Your debate style has changed significantly -- it is a lot simpler and easy to read. Your abilities at debate greatly surpass mine, and considering that I had irl debate experience and you didn't, that is amazing. I actually look up to you when it comes to skill level.

I remember when you joined. I'll be honest, we had a little falling out there at the beginning, which I couldn't apologize enough for. Thankfully, we found a common interest, and were "brought together" (if you will) through AOW. Since then, I have enjoyed many conversations with you.

I have noticed that, since my return from hiatus, we seem to have fallen away from pure-friendship conversation and drifted more toward controversial topics of discussion, which I do enjoy, but I would like to try to re-engage in the friendship aspect. In all honesty, I miss it a little bit; you were the first person on this website that I felt I was able to have an intelligent conversation with, and since I didn't (and still don't) get that much anymore IRL, I looked forward to talking with you. I would love to begin doing that again.

And you're welcome, :)
"If anyone wants to engage in casual anti-Semitism, then whatever." ~Max

Techno-Hyperkant arrives from the future. The Categorical Imperative ignites the eternal Nightmare of Ends. You are delighted to death.

Vaarka swung his sword at the mod. However, since I am now incorporeal, he ends up accidentally striking the entire American landmass (It's a REALLY bastard sword), destroying both continents. Spiders are now at 50% of capacity."
tejretics
Posts: 6,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 4:41:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/25/2016 4:40:06 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/25/2016 2:13:20 PM, tejretics wrote:

Your debate style has changed significantly -- it is a lot simpler and easy to read. Your abilities at debate greatly surpass mine, and considering that I had irl debate experience and you didn't, that is amazing. I actually look up to you when it comes to skill level.

thanks


I remember when you joined. I'll be honest, we had a little falling out there at the beginning, which I couldn't apologize enough for. Thankfully, we found a common interest, and were "brought together" (if you will) through AOW. Since then, I have enjoyed many conversations with you.

Yeah, I remember that one...you accused me of plagiarism and then votebombed my debate :p


I have noticed that, since my return from hiatus, we seem to have fallen away from pure-friendship conversation and drifted more toward controversial topics of discussion, which I do enjoy, but I would like to try to re-engage in the friendship aspect. In all honesty, I miss it a little bit; you were the first person on this website that I felt I was able to have an intelligent conversation with, and since I didn't (and still don't) get that much anymore IRL, I looked forward to talking with you. I would love to begin doing that again.

We really should.


And you're welcome, :)

ty again
Just because you're magic doesn't mean you aren't real.

http://gotejas.com...
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 9,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 4:51:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/25/2016 4:41:36 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 1/25/2016 4:40:06 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/25/2016 2:13:20 PM, tejretics wrote:

Your debate style has changed significantly -- it is a lot simpler and easy to read. Your abilities at debate greatly surpass mine, and considering that I had irl debate experience and you didn't, that is amazing. I actually look up to you when it comes to skill level.

thanks


I remember when you joined. I'll be honest, we had a little falling out there at the beginning, which I couldn't apologize enough for. Thankfully, we found a common interest, and were "brought together" (if you will) through AOW. Since then, I have enjoyed many conversations with you.

Yeah, I remember that one...you accused me of plagiarism and then votebombed my debate :p

Yeah. I was a stupid, self-absorbed jerk at the time.... Sorry again :P


I have noticed that, since my return from hiatus, we seem to have fallen away from pure-friendship conversation and drifted more toward controversial topics of discussion, which I do enjoy, but I would like to try to re-engage in the friendship aspect. In all honesty, I miss it a little bit; you were the first person on this website that I felt I was able to have an intelligent conversation with, and since I didn't (and still don't) get that much anymore IRL, I looked forward to talking with you. I would love to begin doing that again.

We really should.

yay


And you're welcome, :)

ty again
"If anyone wants to engage in casual anti-Semitism, then whatever." ~Max

Techno-Hyperkant arrives from the future. The Categorical Imperative ignites the eternal Nightmare of Ends. You are delighted to death.

Vaarka swung his sword at the mod. However, since I am now incorporeal, he ends up accidentally striking the entire American landmass (It's a REALLY bastard sword), destroying both continents. Spiders are now at 50% of capacity."
TheProphett
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2016 10:34:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/25/2016 2:12:40 PM, tejretics wrote:

Congrats! Thanks for being a great representative of our age group on the site ;)
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers


Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
lannan13
Posts: 24,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 12:50:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/25/2016 2:12:40 PM, tejretics wrote:

Congrats.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

"Sometimes it is hell, trying to get to heaven."- Undertaker

Keep a Positive Mental Attitude!

DDO Hall of Famer
Forever23
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 1:10:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/25/2016 2:13:20 PM, tejretics wrote:
I still have a lot to learn, and I hope DDO will teach me them!

You do and Im sure youll keep improving!
Troll Queen Of DDO

#BetOnThett
#StandWithBossy

Bet On How Long DDO Will Last Here:
http://www.debate.org...

I hate you <3
lannan13
Posts: 24,639
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 2:22:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
4 years right here.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

"Sometimes it is hell, trying to get to heaven."- Undertaker

Keep a Positive Mental Attitude!

DDO Hall of Famer
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 2:47:32 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/25/2016 2:12:40 PM, tejretics wrote:

Wow! Hard to believe I was here before you... O.o

Regardless, congratulations! :) You've definitely been a positive asset to the site!
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 3:02:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/25/2016 2:51:38 PM, XLAV wrote:
This belongs to the personal forum.

You belong in the personal forum.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
YYW
Posts: 45,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 4:42:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/25/2016 2:12:40 PM, tejretics wrote:
Not sure if this belongs in the DDO forum, so forgive me if it doesn't.

You have improved, both as a debater and a voter, considerably since you've been on DDO. That means that you are learning, and at a rate faster than I would reasonably expect a kid of your age to be able to do. These are very positive signs. I think DDO has, in that regard been good for you. I also think, in other respects, that you have been good for DDO. A multifaceted success story, indeed. You do, however, have much to learn, and I'm confident that in time, you will do that.
tejretics
Posts: 6,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 5:14:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/26/2016 4:42:55 AM, YYW wrote:
At 1/25/2016 2:12:40 PM, tejretics wrote:
Not sure if this belongs in the DDO forum, so forgive me if it doesn't.

You have improved, both as a debater and a voter, considerably since you've been on DDO. That means that you are learning, and at a rate faster than I would reasonably expect a kid of your age to be able to do. These are very positive signs. I think DDO has, in that regard been good for you. I also think, in other respects, that you have been good for DDO. A multifaceted success story, indeed. You do, however, have much to learn, and I'm confident that in time, you will do that.

Thanks.
Just because you're magic doesn't mean you aren't real.

http://gotejas.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 9:00:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/25/2016 3:36:54 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 1/25/2016 3:24:14 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I remember when you first joined.

lol #embarrassed

I'll say that, while you have improved considerably as a member - and some people might point to you as indication that members whose contributions are nil when they are first active can become good members - I would say that you were always one of the better ones. Despite some people's problems with your votes, and maybe debating style and ability - I would have always said that there weren't any 13 year olds at the time people began to get to know you 8-10 or so months ago who did any better.

I'm happy you've moved to more policy-based topics. That was a good decision on your part.

While I don't debate often (it's been nearly a year since I did a solo debate), I can say that DDO still made me an immensely better speaker and writer (not that I was bad to begin), and it made me better in communication (however introverted I may be). It's had quite a few positive effects on me, and I hope that you also continue to reap the benefits of activity on the site.
I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon.

So much has gone, and little is new.

DDO Risk King
Sapphique
Posts: 4,306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 3:54:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/25/2016 2:12:40 PM, tejretics wrote:

Congrats, Tej! We should talk more lol
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
XLAV
Posts: 14,346
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 11:42:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/26/2016 3:02:50 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 1/25/2016 2:51:38 PM, XLAV wrote:
This belongs to the personal forum.

You belong in the personal forum.

I am the personal forum.
Baby, you're the highlight of my lowlife

Favorite Debate:
Muhammad Drawing Contest
http://www.debate.org...
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,649
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2016 6:02:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/26/2016 3:02:50 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 1/25/2016 2:51:38 PM, XLAV wrote:
This belongs to the personal forum.

You belong in the personal forum.

Your mom belongs in the personal forum.