Jump to topic:

Swap.net Is Live

Phil
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 9:42:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm moving the conversation surrounding Swap.net to it's own topic. Please let me know your feedback on the site. Love it, hate it, impartial. Any suggestions would be great too. I have no idea if the business model is sound, but I wanted to build the site and test it out.
Envy the country that has heroes. Pitty the country that needs them.
Phil
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 10:02:25 PM
At 10/26/2010 9:51:13 PM, Loserboi wrote:
could use a catchier name. I don't understand what its supposed to do. Is it just a trading site?

Yep. It's not for everything, but there are certain items that are better for trading instead of auctioning or selling. Video games are a perfect example of something that can be traded. Toys and clothing too.

Like I said, I have no idea what to expect from the website, it just seemed like something that would be really fun to build.
Phil
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 10:22:59 PM
At 10/26/2010 10:15:43 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
I think it's a cool idea.

Thanks!
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 10:30:32 PM
This is dope.

Hey, here's an idea:

Why don't you employ a barter chain feature so that there can be linkages made between wish lists and available products automatically?

Perhaps something like that is already in place and I haven't seen it yet.

You know that whole scenario where it's like,

Person A wants something that Person B has, who wants something that person C has, who wants something that you have. Is there something that will create those chains so that you can identify more bartering possibilities that integrates more people and thus, makes more people happy simultaneously?

Did that make sense?
Phil
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 10:39:22 PM
At 10/26/2010 10:30:32 PM, Ren wrote:
This is dope.

Hey, here's an idea:

Why don't you employ a barter chain feature so that there can be linkages made between wish lists and available products automatically?

Perhaps something like that is already in place and I haven't seen it yet.

You know that whole scenario where it's like,

Person A wants something that Person B has, who wants something that person C has, who wants something that you have. Is there something that will create those chains so that you can identify more bartering possibilities that integrates more people and thus, makes more people happy simultaneously?

Did that make sense?

Makes sense to me. I'll have to think about the algorithm for that. I think some sort of product database would be needed so the people can select items and we can then match apples to apples.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 10:55:09 PM
I really like the idea. But when I tried to join it said that only people from the US could...which I am.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 10:55:51 PM
At 10/26/2010 10:55:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I really like the idea. But when I tried to join it said that only people from the US could...which I am.

Oh, I see you already replied to this in the other thread.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2010 11:14:09 PM
At 10/26/2010 10:39:22 PM, Phil wrote:
Makes sense to me. I'll have to think about the algorithm for that. I think some sort of product database would be needed so the people can select items and we can then match apples to apples.

Perhaps.

Or, maybe you could use a search algorithm that automatically lists several chains under a wishlist based on what you have listed yourself. The search could pick up keywords, so I guess you could either use a product database or let users fill it in with suggestions. Like, say:

Person A lists a cellphone.
Wishlist:
- car
- camera

Person B wants the cellphone.
Has listed:
- PS3
- glass pipe

Under Person A's wishlist (w=wishlist; L=listing):
- Chain 1: Person E (w=glass pipe; L=cardigan)/Person D (w=cardigan; L=studio headphones)/Person C (w=studio headphones; L=camera).

Then, you can just click the chain and everyone in it would have to agree to the deal. And then, everyone exchanges.

It just occurred to me that it might work better if you could add listings directly to your wishlist so that those could pop up in chains and there's a higher chance that everyone would accept. Like, select something that you want but have nothing that the other person wants to trade in hopes that a chain comes up.

You know?

I don't know, just a suggestion.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 2:51:56 AM
I know where Ren is coming from. Like the one red paperclip guy.
I like it, but you obviously hate us Aussies. :(~
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 5:57:18 AM
Can I swap my girlfriend?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 11:48:58 AM
At 10/27/2010 5:57:18 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

No C_N, no one is trading her for a 10 year old. (you have to add some candy to the deal first)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 11:50:36 AM
At 10/27/2010 11:48:58 AM, lovelife wrote:

No C_N, no one is trading her for a 10 year old. (you have to add some candy to the deal first)

I need my candy... for obvious reasons.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 11:54:42 AM
At 10/27/2010 11:50:36 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 10/27/2010 11:48:58 AM, lovelife wrote:

I need my candy... for obvious reasons.

If you want little kids you have to give up some candy first.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 2:13:20 PM
Looks cool. I like Ren's idea about the swap chains; however, there may be some problem making them work if each member has to meet in person. If I were to participate in a chain that had me swapping something for Phil's Elder Scolls IV, for instance, it's a long drive to CA from where I live.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 2:22:35 PM
At 10/27/2010 2:13:20 PM, Chrysippus wrote:
Looks cool. I like Ren's idea about the swap chains; however, there may be some problem making them work if each member has to meet in person. If I were to participate in a chain that had me swapping something for Phil's Elder Scolls IV, for instance, it's a long drive to CA from where I live.

USPS/UPS/FEDEX would work. Hadn't finished the thought before I posted. Sorry.
Add Post
Forum Moderator

10/27/2010 9:02:30 PM
At 10/27/2010 2:22:35 PM, Chrysippus wrote:

We designed Swap.net more for local trading instead of shipping. Shipping is still ok, but can be risky, and it's difficult to establish trust. Since saving money is the biggest motivating factor for swapping items, shipping also doesn't make a whole lot of sense. We're going to start promoting on college campuses next week, and try and prove (or disprove) the business model there.

Your thoughts...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 9:18:31 PM
At 10/27/2010 9:02:30 PM, Forum Moderator wrote:
Your thoughts...

I like the idea a lot...
but I think that'll be a tough nut to crack.

Doesn't facebook do something similar?... I know that they do something with textbooks like that... (though maybe it's only for $$)
and... being that they Already have like 95% of college students... it might be tough to break into the market with a similar product.

Though... I would say that having a Multiple Trade Chain thingy would Definitely make it a lot more useful and neat...

Then you could get what you want Even if the person who has it doesn't want anything You've got. It would increase the likelihood of a viable trade coming up by a Whole Lot...

otherwise I can't really see anybody being able to swap things quick... and they'd prolly just resort to selling it anyways...
Something for which Ebay would be better due to their Gigantic draw... meaning your website goes nowhere quick :(
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Add Post
Forum Moderator

10/27/2010 9:23:12 PM
At 10/27/2010 9:18:31 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Your thoughts...

I like the idea a lot...
but I think that'll be a tough nut to crack.

Doesn't facebook do something similar?... I know that they do something with textbooks like that... (though maybe it's only for $$)
and... being that they Already have like 95% of college students... it might be tough to break into the market with a similar product.

Though... I would say that having a Multiple Trade Chain thingy would Definitely make it a lot more useful and neat...

Then you could get what you want Even if the person who has it doesn't want anything You've got. It would increase the likelihood of a viable trade coming up by a Whole Lot...

otherwise I can't really see anybody being able to swap things quick... and they'd prolly just resort to selling it anyways...
Something for which Ebay would be better due to their Gigantic draw... meaning your website goes nowhere quick :(

All valid points. We definitely have our work cut out for us. I know FB does a classified service at the college level. It's not exactly apples 2 apples, but we'll see in a week or so how much resistance there is, or isn't.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2010 9:38:58 PM
At 10/27/2010 2:22:35 PM, Chrysippus wrote:

We designed Swap.net more for local trading instead of shipping. Shipping is still ok, but can be risky, and it's difficult to establish trust. Since saving money is the biggest motivating factor for swapping items, shipping also doesn't make a whole lot of sense. We're going to start promoting on college campuses next week, and try and prove (or disprove) the business model there.

Your thoughts...

I agree, for the most part. Local trading is far better than pig-in-a-poke buying over the internet. That's the big thing about your new website that I think will really help, that one can make the trade in person and examine before totally committing. If someone tries to palm off a total piece of junk, I can always walk away with your system; I don't really have much recourse if I get it off Amazon or Ebay.

That said, the whole local-chain-trading idea, although really cool, will fall apart if the chain stretches out too far geographically. Maybe an alert that'd pop up if the attempted chain involves people separated by more than a certain distance? If you have to drive too far to make the trade, money isn't being saved.

Later on, we'll want a reputation system that allows us to rate trades; there needs to be some way to know if someone is abusing the system before making personal contact. Someone who keeps passing off things that look good but don't really work after you get them home should have a sufficient warning in place for those who look at his items, if he is even allowed to continue trading.

I don't know, you might have something like that in there somewhere; I didn't see it on first pass. The whole thing looks like a very simple, open, friendly system; I like that a lot.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 3:06:23 AM
I think the college idea is a good one, but you'll want a social college system for that, as well as Facebook advertisements.

When I say special college system, I mean being able to register you're college and only accept offers from fellow campus members. Perhaps being able to search for items within specific colleges?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 8:59:11 AM
Unless it gets big enough, or at least has enough people in the same area, I don't really see how having to meet up with the other person will work out.If you drive 200 miles to trade video games, andafter you check out the new one, and go back home, its broke, you will have lost a lot more than if you had just had it shipped out.

Thats just my idea anyway.
If its just to help out college kids, then it could work out if they are on the same campus or at least the same town.
Add Post
Forum Moderator

10/28/2010 9:27:36 PM
At 10/28/2010 8:59:11 AM, lovelife wrote:
Unless it gets big enough, or at least has enough people in the same area, I don't really see how having to meet up with the other person will work out.If you drive 200 miles to trade video games, andafter you check out the new one, and go back home, its broke, you will have lost a lot more than if you had just had it shipped out.

Thats just my idea anyway.
If its just to help out college kids, then it could work out if they are on the same campus or at least the same town.

I totally agree with your assessment lovelife. We're definitely going to try and make this a local swapping system.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2010 9:48:31 PM
It's definitely a pretty neat idea, but it seems like the big obstacle to this (especially if it's going to be focused on local swapping) is getting enough people to join. It might be hard to lure people in if there's only 1 or 2 other people listed in their area.

Which is why the first thing that came to mind is that you may want to consider creating some kind of front-end facebook plug-in to draw people to the site. Since most people's facebook friends are generally people they know in person, making it more likely that they are local to each other, you would immediately have a pretty huge base to start with. Not exactly sure how that would work, but facebook already has the whole local network thing covered, it would just be a matter of finding a way to exploit it.
Add Post
Forum Moderator

10/28/2010 9:53:15 PM
At 10/28/2010 9:48:31 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
It's definitely a pretty neat idea, but it seems like the big obstacle to this (especially if it's going to be focused on local swapping) is getting enough people to join. It might be hard to lure people in if there's only 1 or 2 other people listed in their area.

Which is why the first thing that came to mind is that you may want to consider creating some kind of front-end facebook plug-in to draw people to the site. Since most people's facebook friends are generally people they know in person, making it more likely that they are local to each other, you would immediately have a pretty huge base to start with. Not exactly sure how that would work, but facebook already has the whole local network thing covered, it would just be a matter of finding a way to exploit it.

I'd love to leverage FB's network to rollout Swap. After our ads go live next week, I'll spend some time researching their API. Thanks for the suggestion.